Thread: Why your electricity prices are going up

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Default Why your electricity prices are going up

Here is a description why prices are increasing in the electricity market, it is called manipulation and cost of coal price increases

This is my post, it is not a political statement but a statement of fact (i hope) so if you want to talk politics do it in another post!!
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (07-12-17),eaglem (08-12-17)

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

If you don't want to discuss politics don't post a political statement purporting to be fact. The founder of the site is one Giles Parkinson. He states on the site that:

RenewEconomy is an independent website founded and owned by Giles Parkinson, a journalist of 30 years experience, a former Business Editor and Deputy Editor of the Australian Financial Review, a former columnist for The Bulletin magazine and The Australian, and the founder and former editor of Climate Spectator.
    He seems to have left out any mentions of outlets such as Crikey and Green Left Monthly. He recently won an environmental award presented to him by none other than Bob Brown. Others receiving awards included Stop Adani activists. It is reported by antinuclear.net at the following link:

You will perhaps understand why I do not place much credence in this source, let alone regard it as a definitive factual statement as you seem to expect. Just another left-wing journalist turned activist from what I can see.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

admin (07-12-17),enf (06-12-17)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

My attitude is with recent increases in any fuel source is that there is no competition and its now sold at 'Market Prices' with charges being levied literally ad hoc.
    Not once have I seen any supplier quoting various costs for the reason for the rises such as wages, repairs and replacement/renovations.
    There have been half heated excuses in the power industry that the 'wires and poles' are 'ageing' which everything does but didnt companies include fees within their supply bills to maintain the system or did they just pretend it would never happen?
    There is no excuse for Petroleum products to move as they recently have.
    I am old enough to remember when Sydney had a huge shortfall in the supply of electricity with the main generator (Bunnerong) located on Botany Bay could not carry the load during Peak hours resulting in staged power rationing and White Bay near Balmain was running at its maximum.
    It was during this time with the Snowy Mountains Project that several Generators were to be built in the country at Wallerawang, Lake Munmorrah and Liddel because it was decided it was more advantageous to locate them on the Coal fields and distribute the power over a national grid.
    WE, the people of the State paid for these generators only in later times for them to be sold off and now we are paying through the nose for Power.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

eaglem (08-12-17),enf (06-12-17)

Thanks

@gordon. I'd be surprised if there wasn't some gouging going on. Privatisation if not done properly can be a very bad idea, and our Government's seldom do it properly. Also, there are some assets that should never be privatised under virtually any circumstances, though I'm not sure if power is in fact one. If we judged by the results it would certainly suggest it is.

On the other hand, it also defies reality to believe that renewables policy has no effect on prices. I'm sure that like most situations of its kind it is highly complex and more than one factor is contributing to sky-rocketing prices to at least some extent. One of the big problems with this whole area is that it has become so highly politicised that it is hard if not impossible to get to the truth. One more activist and/or lobbyist report does nothing to help. It is just part of the problem.

• The Following User Says Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

enf (06-12-17)

Premium Member

Thanks

There seems to have been some very bad decisions made as to the running of the power generators by the various Governments of the day and they were grossly over staffed and wasting money so I have no complaint that the whole industry needed a damn good shakeup.
    But to sell off this incredible asset and allow the supply of power to be controlled by uncontrolled Private enterprise is as equally as bad a system as it was when it was under total Government control.
    Every system MUST pay its way and provide where possible for the future but always with the good of the Nation and its people always in the forefront.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (07-12-17),enf (06-12-17)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    There have been half heated excuses in the power industry that the 'wires and poles' are 'ageing' which everything does but didnt companies include fees within their supply bills to maintain the system or did they just pretend it would never happen.
    Gordon, I read a little while ago that the poles and wires (distribution) do create a large proportion of the cost, something around 40%.The problem was that they prematurely replaced/upgraded the grid for immense cost before they found out that people started to
    become more energy aware (use LEDs, etc) while the expensive renewed grid was designed for much more than ever needed.

Also the NSW government dumped a large part of their 'poles and wires' so the private owners can charge as much as they like.
    Our energy is a very muddy business and it is very hard to figure out who owns what, but I am sure all private components are providing their owners juicy profit margins.

Why is there even a retailer?
    The business that makes the energy should be the ones who also sell it, be it private or public, not more middle men getting a lot of money for nothing.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DB44 View Post
    If you don't want to discuss politics don't post a political statement purporting to be fact. The founder of the site is one Giles Parkinson. He states on the site that:

He seems to have left out any mentions of outlets such as Crikey and Green Left Monthly. He recently won an environmental award presented to him by none other than Bob Brown. Others receiving awards included Stop Adani activists. It is reported by antinuclear.net at the following link:

You will perhaps understand why I do not place much credence in this source, let alone regard it as a definitive factual statement as you seem to expect. Just another left-wing journalist turned activist from what I can see.

I don't disagree about Giles i find his articles hard reading and repetitive after a while
    BUT it is an opinion piece, feel free to do your research and prove that the information contained there in is not factual and post same in this post to confirm your findings. Am sure all readers would be more interested instead of a blanket response that it all is incorrect because he has leanings that you don't agree with.
    Waiting in anticipation to your posts with the relevant details so we can continue the debate
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    I don't disagree about Giles i find his articles hard reading and repetitive after a while
    BUT it is an opinion piece, feel free to do your research and prove that the information contained there in is not factual and post same in this post to confirm your findings. Am sure all readers would be more interested instead of a blanket response that it all is incorrect because he has leanings that you don't agree with.
    Waiting in anticipation to your posts with the relevant details so we can continue the debate
    I'm not planning to waste my time on it. I can post a Grimm's fairy tale if you like and you can go off and debunk that.

The point is that the facts have been lost in the politics. And this article is just one example. I'd go mad trying to debunk every left-wing propaganda piece, just as you would trying to debunk every right-wing one.

Your original post represented this piece of propaganda as being "not a political statement but a statement of fact". You did add to this "I hope", which no doubt indicated your own awareness of the tainted source, which you chose not to share with us, as well as a clue to your own leanings on this issue. Who knows what "facts" there are in this propaganda piece, if any. I'm not planning to go through this particular haystack on the off-chance that there may be a needle or two.

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    Gordon,
    Why is there even a retailer?
    The business that makes the energy should be the ones who also sell it, be it private or public, not more middle men getting a lot of money for nothing.
    YOU TELL ME AND THEN WE WILL BOTH KNOW !!!!

Just another way of ripping people off...................

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    I would have to agree with DB44.

You are posting up a loaded argument by stealth.......believe all this but don't make political statements if you Google the author and find out he is a leftist renewable energy activist.

Sorry, if people want to attack it politically or otherwise, they can go for it.

I presume you are supporting the Adani mine then ?

I suppose if you took the 1.3 billion in coal royalties paid to the government off in NSW it would be cheaper ?

Power prices go up because we dont have enough of it, and we need more of it because we are rapidly overpopulating and infrastructure cannot keep up. Our politically correct solution is to put up highly subsidised ugly wind turbines (which ironically shut down by default if it gets too windy, as well as not doing anything without wind), fields of (again highly subsidised) solar panels (again, not good at night or days with no sun) and get some battery banks that will power sweet FA for so brief a time its pointless.

All the while, leftist loon states such as Victoria and South Australia have connected long streams of diesel generators in shut down coal power stations, while banning gas exploration and extraction.

The only way this country can or will function under anti coal rhetoric is to build Nuclear power plants - zero emissions and very little spent material to store. We should be a leader in this field rather than a pathetic lap dog of the left. We have ability to produce cheap power for all, but wont do it because its more fun sending everyone broke with subsidised renewables that will never achieve sufficient base load power (unless we build a battery bank the size of Tasmania), while sending our coal overseas to be used.

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

cobra679 (07-12-17),dashinson (07-12-17),DB44 (07-12-17),enf (07-12-17),lsemmens (07-12-17)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DB44 View Post
    The point is that the facts have been lost in the politics.
    That realistically covers it.