Thread: Generator suddenly stopped working.

Thanks

Default Generator suddenly stopped working.

Again not quite automotive question, I have just bought a 7kva generator. I tired it to see if it worked OK. it was driving a small angle grinder for a short time then some smoke came from the front and then it stopped charging. Sounds serious. Any way the generator is a Allight. Has anyone any knowledge of these generators and any knowledge of generators in general?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Hi Nifty,
    What do you call the front? Engine or alternator side?
    I guess you checked oil and coolant were present, oil lines not blocked etc.
    It sounds serious when smoke comes from it. Maybe it's a good idea to give allight or maybe perkins a call.

Thanks

If its a AVR generator it will be ther regulator unit (cheap depending on brand of generator) or burnt windings If its not a AVR style generator it will be the diodes in the alternator part or burnt windings . If its a Inverter style cheaper to buy a new one . pop off the end cap on the alternator and you should see if anythings burnt.

• The Following User Says Thank You to carjackma For This Useful Post:

zzzzz (07-12-17)

Thanks

Thanks, it is the generator that is the problem,not the motor. It is the motor side of the generator. It is not a inverter type. I will pull the generator off on the weekend to see if anything is obvious. Hopefully but the windings, but to be realistic it is a big possibility. Will let you know what I find. Pardon my ignorance, but why are diodes needed?
    Regards.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nifty363 View Post
    Thanks, it is the generator that is the problem,not the motor. It is the motor side of the generator. It is not a inverter type. I will pull the generator off on the weekend to see if anything is obvious. Hopefully but the windings, but to be realistic it is a big possibility. Will let you know what I find. Pardon my ignorance, but why are diodes needed?
    Regards.
    should be just 2 screws to remove the cover on the end of the generator you will see straight away if its windings. The diodes are used primarily as protection in brushless models there is also a smoothing capacitor that can fry as well . What model Generator may help me point you in the right direction better.

Thanks

Thanks carjackma, I have dismantled the generator. I unsoldered the two diodes, one of them is shorted. I will replace two diodes and small capacitors. I could not find any obvious damage to the windings and I found no shorts to ground through the wirings. ( using a multimeter) The large capacitor looks OK, yes I know that doesn't mean its OK.
    The generator is a Allight brand 76KVA . The model number is GX7HE or something close to that I don't have it with me at present. At this point I will hope the diode is the problem.

Thanks

Awesome The shorted diode will more than likely be the problem in 99% of the cases . They seem to fail for no particular reason.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

nothing to do with this problem but many years ago I blew the fusible link on my Valiant Wagon. Being on Holidays in coastal thunderstorm miles from our home, I crossed my fingers, rejoined it and everything worked.
    This happened several times over the next month untill I decided to replace the alternator and found the cause.
    ONE diode had become loose on the plate and the pig tail unsolded allowing the diode case to swing like a pendulum until it touched inside, caused a short and blew the link !!!!!
    I am just recounting this to show what can happen to disable a generator be it Car or Motor/Generator set and to do all you can to ensure its all ok before starting it.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nifty363 View Post
    Thanks carjackma, I have dismantled the generator. I unsoldered the two diodes, one of them is shorted. I will replace two diodes and small capacitors. I could not find any obvious damage to the windings and I found no shorts to ground through the wirings. ( using a multimeter) The large capacitor looks OK, yes I know that doesn't mean its OK.
    The generator is a Allight brand 76KVA . The model number is GX7HE or something close to that I don't have it with me at present. At this point I will hope the diode is the problem.
    Let us know how you went.