Thread: Comnav (NX-595E) and NX-584E on Reliance R8 (NX-8v2)

Thanks

Default Comnav (NX-595E) and NX-584E on Reliance R8 (NX-8v2)

Hi Team,

Long time watcher, first time poster. I have had my Hills Reliance R8 for a number of years, and learned the platform from this. I installed a Comnav (module #191) a few years back and am quite well versed in this board and the broader NX platform now. More recently purchased an NX-584E Home Automation (serial) board and connected it up.

When I connected the NX-584E (module #72) and configured it, it is working as expected, however having this connected at the same time as the Comnav renders the Comnav unresponsive to the network. If I disconnect the NX-584E from the data bus, then the Comnav comes back online and responds on the network. I have been troubleshooting this for weeks. At first I thought it may have been a power issue, so I connected the Comnav to a dedicate power source and the same symptoms. I also tried disabling DHCP (I know DHCP is working correctly on the network) and set a static IP address/subnet/gateway/dns etc but still no go unless the NX-584E is off of the bus. I have also tried force enrolling the modules.

I also have one VoiceNav and one LED keypad, as well as an Activor RF remote connected to the panel.

What is interesting is that I can still connect to the ComNav on module number 191 even when its unresponsive and configure it from the keypad. It just wont respond on ethernet unless the 584E is disconnected from the data bus. The 584E works all the time as I would expect it to.

Has anyone experienced anything similar to this? I want to keep the Comnav board in there as I connect to it from the DLX900 application to backup the alarm configs etc.

Very strange one, but looking for some experience on the forum to assist.

Thanks!

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I think an R8 can only have 1 additional module connected to it.
    If you want to add more you will need to upgrade to R12 or 128

Thanks

Ok, so no other work arounds to have the modules coexist? I’m curious, what constitutes a module? I only ask as I have a voicenav, activor from remote, in addition to another led key pad and which all work fine with the ComNav.
    Before I source a new panel r12 or r128 (will look for a used one), I’d like to ensure there are no other options, and that those panels will support all of the modules I have.

Thanks

The manual says up to 8 keypads and 1 wireless expander, although I have had a wireless expander and a remote kit on them and that worked.

Every that is addressable that you connect to the panel is classed as an expander (except keypads - remotes are looked at as keypads).

The R8 is an entry level system and is not expandable past 8 zones.

If I were you I would be looking for an R128 just to be sure.
    Last edited by Andrewpv01; 10-12-17 at 08:44 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewpv01 View Post
    If I were you I would be looking for an R128 just to be sure.
    OK thanks for the advice. An R128 it is (which is now on its way).

A few questions:
    1. Zone Doubling: Given that I only have 8 zones presently (currently zone doubled using 3.74K/6.98k EOL resistors), am I right to assume that I should avoid doing the zone doubling when I get the R128 panel ? Short from Area assignments and the flexibility it can provide, I am not sure I see the value of it, but I have read on a number of occasions that zone doubling should be considered as a last resort. Is this correct?

2. EOL Resistors: If that is the case, I will need to grab a few new EOL 3.3K resistors for each of the zones. So the second question is, should I go carbon or metal film resistors, and does the voltage rating matter for EOL resistors?

3. Config Transfer: I use the DLX900 software to configure the R8 via the Comnav. Is it possible to send the same config and upload this to the new R128 (after its defaulted), or should I be configuring it again from scratch? From what I read, the features line up across the series so I think I can simply send the same config to the R128 (assuming I keep zone doubling of course)....but want to confirm that I can indeed do this first.

Thanks!
    Last edited by alarmsolo; 10-12-17 at 10:28 PM.

Thanks

1 - Zone doubling won't cause any problems with either an R8 or R128 - I do it all the time.

2 - New panel will come with 3.3K resistors - if you want to change them

3 - Wont work between the 2 panels - reprogram from scratch

Thanks

Just closing this one off. I can confirm that an upgrade to the Reliance R128 (NX-8v2) allows me to connect all of the modules (I retained the zone doubling option). I can also confirm that I was able to use the DLX900 software to transfer the config by defaulting the panel and sending the data via the Comnav (NX-595E) to the new panel. All good!

Also - just realised the title of this thread is slightly wrong in that the Reliance R8 is in fact the NX-4v2, not the NX-8v2.
    Last edited by alarmsolo; 17-12-17 at 09:47 PM.