Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Liddell Power station to close

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Liddell Power station to close

There are times like this I wish had the command of the English Language to voice my utter and total disgust at this proposal.
    That this was going to happen comes as no shock as the new owners made their plans for the future more than clear long ago but I dont believe any of the rhetoric and proposals of why and how wonderful the world will be with its closure.
    I see a repeat of when the Wallerwang Power station was sold and the claim was it would be 'moth balled' and could be ready to re-open in a month??.
    My Inlaws live not 700 metres from the station and the M'inLaw told me that within a few days of the shutting down, Semi trailers were down at the Switch yard and removing the Transformers and stowed them in a yard behind her house and showed them to me!!!
    When we knew when the Station was generating as we could hear the steam blowing off so she knew exactly when the flame went out in the boilers.

Next thing we knew came the claim that the price of Electricity would HAVE to RISE because they didnt have the capacity to generate enough.................Any body stupid enough to wage this wont happen once Liddell goes off Line ???
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

gulliver (12-12-17)

Look Here ->
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,066 Times in 9,091 Posts

Nope!!
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Oh come on you guys, they will replace it with it with renewable energy. We know how good that is because it keeps making our bills cheaper

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Thats what you get when there is no firm energy policy in this country, we have the current lid gubment to thank for that, along with our corporate pirates...........errr I mean masters

Administrator
    Thanks

We have a firm energy policy......replace everything with renewable energy. We have Labor and the Greens as our energy regulators to make sure everything that goes through the senate reflects that.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    We have a firm energy policy......replace everything with renewable energy. We have Labor and the Greens as our energy regulators to make sure everything that goes through the senate reflects that.
    You don't mean renewable energy do you? You mean heavily subsidised renewable energy that costs more and is reliably unreliable don't you?.

Good Ol' ALP......the smart energy policy people.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alpha0ne View Post
    Thats what you get when there is no firm energy policy in this country, we have the current lid gubment to thank for that, along with our corporate pirates...........errr I mean masters
    Good luck to the poor paying the bills with that ALP zealots 'policy' alpha0ne.....

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    You mean heavily subsidised renewable energy
    Of course.

Just like Solar - pay people 66 cents a kwh to export their excess power to the grid. Then sell it for 30 cents a kwh.

Thats cheap renewable power

Thanks

That's the price you pay for privatising critical infrastructure.

Gotta love those latte sipping toffs in the Liberal elite

Of course this is all the fault of the opposition party

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to exited For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (13-12-17),Neddie (13-12-17)

Banned

Thanks

replace everything with renewable energy.
    That is the only viable long term solution, yes some short term pain, but a solution that's good for Australia and good for the planet.

I do not believe that viable coal mines should be closed nor do I believe that viable coal fired power stations should be closed. But I do believe there should be a steady move towards renewable energy production. With renewable taking over more of the load as the coal fired stations become uneconomic to upgrade. Solar, wind and tidal are candidates, but probably solar highest on the list.

We are very fortunate in Australia because we are probably the best suited place in the world for solar power. Huge areas bathed in sunshine almost all day, every day, and huge areas of otherwise unproductive land to set up solar farms. Now that battery storage has become feasible, even more reason to move to this form of generation.

Now I'm sure that I'll be criticised for this view, but realistically it is the only viable solution at this point in time. We really do need to consider this, not in terms of our lifetime, but for hundreds of years hence.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 573 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neddie View Post
    Now I'm sure that I'll be criticised for this view, but realistically it is the only viable solution at this point in time.
    Most would agree renewables will form a big part of the future, I think it’s inevitable. However I disagree that they are the only viable solution at this point in time.

Renewables - at this point in time - remain a largely unreliable and expensive way of powering the needs of the Australian population. This is mostly due to issue of power storage. As such they are not the only viable solution.

Australia will need to continue with coal and gas as the main base load power contributor for the foreseeable future. Nuclear should be genuinely considered as a short to long term contributor and investment should continue in renewables until they can compare - in both reliability and cost - is a medium to long term view.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PZ. View Post
    That's the price you pay for privatising critical infrastructure.

Gotta love those latte sipping toffs in the Liberal elite

Of course this is all the fault of the opposition party
    Go with the myths if you want.....the REAL latte sippers vote left wing PZ, and are swinging further left of the ALP to the economically illiterate Greens. Theres a ton of blame to go around, and in my view, WE the voters should be accountable too.

Not that I'm saying privatisation is advantageous or anything, just look at who's doing it and what it costs in some cases. Put aside the mindless stereotypes and you see that we are poorly served by ALL our elected officials....

Thanks

Myths? enf, either you are missing the point or avoiding it.

This has nothing to with power prices as per your link. It's about power security.

The Liddell power station was sold by the Coalition to a company that valued it as zero.

So it's no surprise they are closing it (despite saying they wouldn't) because it's non viable.

None of this changes the fact that it's quite naive to be attributing any of this to the ALP.

They haven't been in power here for 6 years. I was one of the people who voted them out.

You can blame Hillary Clinton instead if you like. It would be just as accurate.

• The Following User Says Thank You to exited For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (13-12-17)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    You don't mean renewable energy do you? You mean heavily subsidised renewable energy that costs more and is reliably unreliable don't you?.

Good Ol' ALP......the smart energy policy people.
    ENF that is one example you should not have used
    the reason AGL is shutting down Liddel is their subsidized coal contract with the NSW Govt (and just as a aside Liberal) is coming to an end, they will in future have to buy coal at full market value, there fore would not be competitive (plus upgrading costs)
    Don't believe me read their press releases
    Just a reminder to those with a short memory, in NSW last years heat wave it was the coal plants that expired due to cooling towers being unable to operate at maximum efficiency
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

• The Following User Says Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (13-12-17)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PZ. View Post
    Myths? enf, either you are missing the point or avoiding it.

This has nothing to with power prices as per your link. It's about power security.

The Liddell power station was sold by the Coalition to a company that valued it as zero.

So it's no surprise they are closing it (despite saying they wouldn't) because it's non viable.

None of this changes the fact that it's quite naive to be attributing any of this to the ALP.

They haven't been in power here for 6 years. I was one of the people who voted them out.

You can blame Hillary Clinton instead if you like. It would be just as accurate.
    My point is that overall, total reliance on subsidised renewables is folly, and the ALP states have seen massive increases in prices due to them. This affects the poor, not the REAL latte sippers who you actually seem to support.

And yes, the coalition have mucked things up in NSW, but they had help...AND encouragement. I'm not denying this at all. NONE of them have a clue, but if you want to take the rose coloured approach then you are more than welcome to.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Of course.

Just like Solar - pay people 66 cents a kwh to export their excess power to the grid. Then sell it for 30 cents a kwh.

Thats cheap renewable power
    In what dreamworld is that?

Here we get 6 miserly cents (yeah, some might have short term bait offers a tad higher than that) that they sell for 30c or more !

500% profit for the power companies thanks to renewables and of top of that they don't even require the grid because of Ohm's law your neighbour gets it.

The renewable hate rubbish posted on this forum never stops to amaze me.

The for decades heavily subsidised coal power stations are coming to an end not because of renewables but because they have been sitting on their lazy butts collecting profits without reinvesting regularily in maintanance upgrades of the equipment and now that it is obviously all falling apart, a full replacement is not feasible. Basically needs a new plant.

...but they said they will close in 5 years from now, a lot can happen by then. I don't see the need for panic.
    The way things are proceeding I will be definitely off-grid by then, probably with enough lithium battery power for a month in total darkness.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 13-12-17 at 11:13 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    In what dreamworld is that?

Here we get 6 miserly cents (yeah, some might have short term bait offers a tad higher than that) that they sell for 30c or more !

500% profit for the power companies thanks to renewables and of top of that they don't even require the grid because of Ohm's law your neighbour gets it.

The renewable hate rubbish posted on this forum never stops to amaze me.

The for decades heavily subsidised coal power stations are coming to an end not because of renewables but because they have been sitting on their lazy butts collecting profits without reinvesting regularily in maintanance upgrades of the equipment and now that it is obviously all falling apart, a full replacement is not feasible. Basically needs a new plant.

...but they said they will close in 5 years from now, a lot can happen by then. I don't see the need for panic.
    The way things are proceeding I will be definitely off-grid by then, probably with enough lithium battery power for a month in total darkness.
    Good for you nomeat....I mean that.

But that doesn't help joe pleb out there pay the bills. I can easily afford to pay mine (still too big, but reduced by some simple common sense), but I know plenty of people who can't.....and the latte set, the REAL latte set, don't give a sh*t unless they think it might get them elected.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

An interesting article by Clean Energy, worth a read

Melbourne to day 37 degrees celsius, time 12.30 . Now people have claimed that Victorian lights will go out due to a brown coal fired power plant has closed and there will be a lack of power. So am waiting for the power to go down
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    claimed that Victorian lights will go out due to a brown coal fired power plant has closed and there will be a lack of power. So am waiting for the power to go down
    And if the lights do go out just imagine the cost to business, all thanks to our pig ignorant/BENT politicians

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alpha0ne View Post
    And if the lights do go out just imagine the cost to business, all thanks to our pig ignorant/BENT politicians
    If the LIGHTS go out then that will be in the evening when most businesses are closed and everybody comes home to their boiling homes and wack on the A/C to max.
    In the day I rarely see myself using lights and funny enough solar seems to work then best too. Even our council has panels and more businesses are waking up.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast