Thread: Tyres! Aaaargh!

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

Default Tyres! Aaaargh!

I have some old sunraysia 4WD rims with old tyres on them. I want to keep the rims, and re-use the old tyres as edging for a garden bed. So far, so good, I've removed 3 tyres with little issue. Of course there is always 1! It WILL NOT break the bead. I'm using two 30" (or thereabouts) and two 12" tyre levers, a heap of soapy water and two jacks. The other tyres all came off with a little elbow grease on the levers. This one..... I've sat it under the bull bar, placed both jacks almost side by side with the tyre beneath them and jacked it up. So far, the tyre has moved down (sa it should) and, eventually the Jackaroo starts to lift off the ground. Even with persuasion from the tyre levers the bloody tyre still sits on the bloody bead, as though it is glued in place. Any suggestions, other than finding the nearest tyre place (60Km away). I know how to seat the tyres (even with fire) but getting them off again??????

Ideas, polite, or otherwise?
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I would have gone the 60 kms in the first place with all 4

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Years ago I bought a 'Bead Breaker' from a Motor show that was supposed to function using the Ford/Valiant bumper type of ratchet jack and it did but barely.
    One problem that immediately appeared was if you hit a tyre that the bloody bead had glued itself to the rim, it just lifted the car.
    My neighbor and I had made up a rough as guts press some time before and using the bead breaker and a 10 tonne bottle jack, did the job on most tyres.
    The big trick is to get something to follow the curve of the rim down and push the bead over of the safety bump so that it collapses into the 'centre' and then you work your way around to unseat it completely.
    Then of course you have to do the reverse side and I found it didnt matter which side you started with, the opposite side always seemed to come out of the bead the easiest.
    This Bead Breaker was about 8 inches or less in length, Curved and Crescent shaped with a square pipe that the jack sat in welded to it.
    Lay the rim flat, put breaker into bead and if needed, tap it in with a mallet or hammer and then apply down pressure vertically to push the breaker between the rim and the tyre.
    Note that even in this press, we found we needed a jack of at least 5 tonnes pressure to break some beads, obviously the 10 tonner did a good job.
    I have seen people use planks laid on the tyre and driven a vehicle over and popped the rim but not always.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 19-12-17 at 04:52 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

LSemmens
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Years ago I bought a 'Bead Breaker' from a Motor show that was supposed to function using the Ford/Valiant bumper type of ratchet jack and it did but barely.
    One problem that immediately appeared was if you hit a tyre that the bloody bead had glued itself to the rim, it just lifted the car.
    Yeah, that's exactly what happened!
    My neighbor and I had made up a rough as guts press some time before and using the bead breaker and a 10 tonne bottle jack, did the job on most tyres.
    The big trick is to get something to follow the curve of the rim down and push the bead over of the safety bump so that it collapses into the 'centre' and then you work your way around to unseat it completely.
    Then of course you have to do the reverse side and I found it didnt matter which side you started with, the opposite side always seemed to come out of the bead the easiest.
    This Bead Breaker was about 8 inches or less in length, Curved and Crescent shaped with a square pipe that the jack sat in welded to it.
    Lay the rim flat, put breaker into bead and if needed, tap it in with a mallet or hammer and then apply down pressure vertically to push the breaker between the rim and the tyre.
    Note that even in this press, we found we needed a jack of at least 5 tonnes pressure to break some beads, obviously the 10 tonner did a good job.
    I have seen people use planks laid on the tyre and driven a vehicle over and popped the rim but not always.
    It's great to have all the right tools. Sadly I do not possess a bead breaker. Currently the car is parked on the tyre and the thing is still attached. I may have to go for a drive and pay someone to take it off.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

can you heat of some sort to loosen the bead ? or cut through it with an angle grinder ?

LSemmens
    Thanks

Heat won't work, and I'm trying to avoid the angle grinder.

Thanks

What about a kettle full of boiling water?

LSemmens
    Thanks

Driving on and off the rim several times finally made it budge. It is now off!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dashinson View Post
    What about a kettle full of boiling water?
    Yeah, then you can at least sit down with a cup of tea, while you think about it... :-)

• The Following User Says Thank You to bob_m_54 For This Useful Post:

dashinson (21-12-17)

Premium Member

Thanks

I mentioned that idea earlier about using a plank but you need one at least 6 or more feet in length, 150~200 mm wide (6 ~8 inches wide by 30~50 mm thick) and with the rim flat on a very hard (concrete) surface lay the board on the tyre with one end touching the ground forming a ramp and drive the car 'up' the ramp until the front or rear wheel of the vehicle is now on the tyre at the rim.
    The rim will just dig into dirt or tar when pushed down most times.
    Some do it slowly, some do it at speed hoping to 'shock' the bead down, both work and both are dangerous and both may damage you car if the plank shifts.
    The bead breaker I had was NOT commercially made but someone who was a 4WD nut and they made them and sold them at shows and exhibitions.

This is NOT what I had but the design does work as your forcing the breaker into the bead.
    To be suitable for a normal car tyre, this would need to be made of more substantial material and the bar maybe a bit longer but able to resist bending as you have to exert a huge amount of pressure even with that leverage.

Go to ebay, ask for Tyre Bead Breaker, see some of the items being offered and the COST of them and remember that when you drive however far it is to get someone else to use a machine to take them off.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 21-12-17 at 03:02 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

LSemmens
    Thanks

Yeah bthe boad only makes it easier to get onto the tyre. I just put it low range 4WD and idled up an off the tyre several times. The next one popped off with no issues, it was just this one tyre.

Premium Member

Thanks

Isnt it Murphy's Law that there must be 'One Of' where there are multiple items that will NOT 'work'??
    This being one Nut of a set that has 'rounded' lands, One screw with no slot or cross, One Stud that has stripped and wont raise as its turned ????
    In your case it was one tyre whose bead decided to 'Become One' with the Rim that despite all claims that it cant happen did and did so when the least convenient.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

gulliver (26-12-17),lsemmens (22-12-17)