Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: International Driving Permits - Bit of a Joke!

Thanks

A South African fellow I subscribe to on Youtube explains his experiences in china

Last edited by cobra679; 30-12-17 at 06:57 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cobra679 For This Useful Post:

mandc (30-12-17),shred (30-12-17)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Four Way stop system doesnt apply in Australia or any other Country other than the USA as far as I am aware.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Four Way stop system doesnt apply in Australia or any other Country other than the USA as far as I am aware.

Same principle 2 way stop sign also. Which there are many. The reason for the video was not to focus on 4way stop systems, it was to show the Chinese driving culture
    Last edited by cobra679; 30-12-17 at 07:27 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,060 Posts

Asians have no peripheral vision and therefore close to tunnel vision. Peripheral vision is what keeps you alive.
    Genetic fact and not their fault.
    Makes driving with them on the road a nightmare.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reschs View Post
    Asians have no peripheral vision and therefore close to tunnel vision. Peripheral vision is what keeps you alive.
    Genetic fact and not their fault.
    Makes driving with them on the road a nightmare.

You are joking right?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cobra679 View Post
    You are joking right?
    Joking about what ?

The peripheral vision problem is well documented. Or it was. Political Correctness may have made it harder to find.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

I have no problem with the international drivers licence. I've printed up lots of them over the years.

But fear not you waycist Austwalians, there are no shortage of Australian tourists who get themselves killed or injured on Asian roads.
    Some of them are very special and you can often see the ambulance just following them around to save a phone call.

I've driven in many countries all around the world and most SE asian countries. I know Asian road rules better than most locals do.

In every country knowing the road rules makes all the difference, but knowing the local unwritten rules is life saving.
    Let me give you an example: In SE Asia, the largest vehicle has right of way. It doesn't matter if that vehicle is on your side of the road across double yellow lines.
    You can argue who really had right of way in hospital. There are plenty of other unwritten rules like this one.

In Australia, we have similar unwritten rules. My favourite is: When in doubt, use the accelerator. If that isn't quick enough, use the horn. Never use the brakes. Hurl some abuse too if you can because the other driver obviously targeted you personally.
    Never assume the other driver mike has just made a minor mistake that could be easily avoided because you were looking out for them. Take no corrective action, if anything try and make the situation look much worse. Dramatise the event and hurl abuse like somebody dropped a scorpion in your undies.

There's lots more of these rules in each country.
    In Russian if you walk across a road, it is expected that a car should aim for the pedestrians. This helps prevent traffic jams because people get the fvck off the road as quickly as possible. If you're hit by a car as a pedestrian on the road, that is the pedestrian's fault. If a pedestrian hits a car on the footpath, that's the car's fault.

In Egypt the reverse is true. I can walk across the busiest road in Cairo blindfolded and I have complete faith that I will make it to the other side.
    The golden rule that applies here is the universal rule when driving in any country. Be predictable.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

Skepticist (31-12-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reschs View Post
    Joking about what ?

The peripheral vision problem is well documented. Or it was. Political Correctness may have made it harder to find.
    Political Correctness from me? I don't think so. Just wanted to see the evidence, science and your sources of it being well documented.

What pisses me off is people on forums ask questions and get told to "Google" how do think google comes up with the search results for the questions ask??

I will answer that for you. In short

Its from people having discussions like us, analyzing each others answers, sources, research, studies etc. When people draw the different conclusions from the same data...

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

I would more likely trust a German with an International licence than an Aussie. They belong on average probably to the most civilized drivers in the world. Of course exceptions are everywhere.
    That is obvious because they have compulsory and strict driving schools and this training is also quite expensive, so it is a big deal to earn your license there.

On the other hand in the Philippines the only road rule is the pushiest car with the loudest horn has right of way.
    I think to get a license there you just had to drive between two lines in a circle then park the vehicle and pay something.

However I am not even sure if our local P-Plate drivers are better or worse than the Asians.

The most common Aussie road rule I see almost daily is:
    Always drive on the right hand lane. If you see somebody who has to merge onto the highway from the right make sure you go straight onto the right hand lane even if there are absolutely no vehicles on the left lane. Then hold your hand out of the window and elevate your middle finger so that those who need to merge from the right can see that clearly while you pass them relativly slowly.

Never saw that from any Asian.

Now this is where statistics will come to play.
    We DO have a few Asian tourists up here but I never heard of then causing fatal or heavy road accidents. They DO drown off our beaches quite regularly though.
    In areas where the Asian population is very high like parts of Sydney/Melbourne(more Asians than white I have experienced) it is very obvious that a lot more Asians will cause these accidents. Of course these areas also attract more Asian visitors.

Filling out a piece of test paper will not change much, when these guys have almost zero experience in driving. Many just use public transport where they live.

The International licence itself is the problem.
    There should be clear definitions and rules that are equal world wide how one can acquire it.
    On one hand we have the Germans who have had intensive training and on the other hand it seems in China probably just as ridiculously easy to get as in the Philippines.
    That said the Filipino's are actually quite skilled drivers ...if they are not drunk and their vehicle is at least halfway road worthy.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 31-12-17 at 01:01 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,474 Times in 1,534 Posts

Asians are shit drivers full stop, ive been pushing to have these issued in Tassi

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rick For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (01-01-18),ol' boy (01-01-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,239 Times in 1,920 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Asians are shit drivers full stop, ive been pushing to have these issued in Tassi

Especially when they stop in the middle of the road half way up Mt Black to take some photos of an echidna crossing the road, and a semi is barrelling down the mountain with a full load....
    Last edited by Al Bundy; 31-12-17 at 02:06 PM.
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

• The Following User Says Thank You to Al Bundy For This Useful Post:

Rick (31-12-17)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Its possible that many of those mentioned here regarding their Driving ability or lack of it are not of the Christian Faith but of another that has the belief that if your destined to have an accident today, you will have it so why take any precautions like following Road Rules and other silly directions !!!
    Sadly, I think you are quite correct.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,474 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
    Especially when they stop in the middle of the road half way up Mt Black to take some photos of an echidna crossing the road, and a semi is barrelling down the mountain with a full load....
    I struck the same thing when I worked for West Coast Transport, going down through Savage River, came on a blind corner and right in the middle of the road a mini van stopped dead chinga's everywhere taking happy snappys, how I missed them was a miracle, but the embankment copped a grazing and I ripped the side out of my right hand steer tire, They heard all the colourful Aussie words that day

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

Maybe you should have put a comma after stopped. better still, a fullstop.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

I've got some more.
    In Australia, did you know that Motorcycle riders have an unlucky number?
    It's true. There are no lucky numbers, just an unlucky one. That number is "8".

If you're a motorcycle rider and you see a car with an "8" on the number plate, you should give it a bit more caution than your average idiot.
    If you see a car with two 8's on the number plate, Be afraid! You might like to make sure you have double you braking distance to that one.
    If you see a car with 888, Jesus on a stick, consider taking a different route!
    Then there are cars which have more 8's .... consider taking a bus to work, though chances are, this person will hit the bus.

So why the number 8? Well Chinese think the number eight is lucky, and any driver who thinks he is lucky is somebody you don't want to be anywhere near.

If you want to know something about drivers in a country, look at their traffic lights.
    In some countries they have a BIG red light compared to the amber or green lights. And in other countries that have a BIG green light.
    There are other hints like traffic light cycles, road signs, lines on the road and mysterious roadside ornaments.

Even the vehicles say something about driving on local roads. Just look at Cambodia taxis, Australian Utes, or Arizona Low riders.
    The warning signs are everywhere!

Asian drivers, oh that reminds me. It must be time for a visit to China again. I used to love watching crashes, particularly between bicycle riders.
    They would fall off and the first thing they would do was start a fight. Often it was two people, but sometimes I would see three or four.
    It was a bit like a Mundine fight without boxing gloves. I used to stop and watch and egg them on. "No, don't walk away, go back and hit him. It was his fault, make him give you money!"
    Though I can't be sure what I said to them in Mandarin was correct, most of them would go back for a second round.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
    That's almost as stupid as the family we saw, stopped on a hilly windy road, to look at the poor blacksnake that had just been run over and was thrashing about. It looked like "the dad" was trying to push it off the road with a stick, while the rest of the family were within a meter and a half, watching him. I told him it was probably a bad idea, as it was a bit of a distance to the nearest doctor, if he got bitten. And that his car would probably get hit if he left it there much longer. I think they were local tourists.... LOL

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cobra679 View Post
    Political Correctness from me? I don't think so. Just wanted to see the evidence, science and your sources of it being well documented.

What pisses me off is people on forums ask questions and get told to "Google" how do think google comes up with the search results for the questions ask??

I will answer that for you. In short

Its from people having discussions like us, analyzing each others answers, sources, research, studies etc. When people draw the different conclusions from the same data...
    My source was originally from a Eye Surgeon at a major Sydney Hospital that I was a long time contractor. 3 days a week for about 20 years.
    Recently reinforced by the Optometrist that checked my eyes earlier this year. He has a high percentage of Asian clients.
    That is why I did not quote Google.
    Unfortunately the Google searches are full of people obsessed with the shape of their eyes rather than Medical Journals.

My apologies for making you think beyond Google.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,239 Times in 1,920 Posts

I struck the same thing when I worked for West Coast Transport, going down through Savage River, came on a blind corner and right in the middle of the road a mini van stopped dead chinga's everywhere taking happy snappys, how I missed them was a miracle, but the embankment copped a grazing and I ripped the side out of my right hand steer tire, They heard all the colourful Aussie words that day
    Geez, I hate that road, I swear some of those corners are so tight, I can see the back of my work bus when I look out the side window and I'm sure the road just oozes oil when it rains, especially down through Luina across the Whyte and on towards Savage, and your right, no where really to go if you come round one of those corners and meet something blocking the road, like a big rock even... or dead chingas taking photos
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

• The Following User Says Thank You to Al Bundy For This Useful Post:

Rick (02-01-18)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

There ya go:

Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

mtv (02-01-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

perhaps all tourists who want to drive in au should go to germany and do a driving course first.....

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast