Thread: Car for Wheelchair users

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

Default Car for Wheelchair users

I'm not sure if these are available here, or, if our governments would even allow such cars, given their "safety" rules.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

gulliver (02-01-18),mtv (03-01-18),SS Dave (02-01-18),Tiny (02-01-18)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

that's the go, you can fit 2 of them in a normal sized cripple car spot......

as long as they park properly....

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    as long as they park properly....
    Exactly... not like this able bodied woman.

• The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

Tiny (02-01-18)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Very neat indeed but unfortunately I dont think anyone imports them here.
    I have seen a couple of vehicles here converted to CARRYa wheel chair, one a Ford Station wagon, anther was a medium size van but neither gave the person in the chair the ability to drive the motor vehicle.
    I would hate to think what it would cost to convert something like a SMART car or similar to allow it to be self driven and you notice that vehicle can only accommodate the wheel chair user !!
    My mobility of late has gone to Hell and I was looking at buying something so I can go out and about when we went shopping but fitting a 'Sidewalk Scooter' into any vehicle is a big hassle.
    I do have a walker but I also have respiratory problems which is another reason I cant walk very far.
    I do have a Ford Station that has the space BUT how do you get the damned thing in and out of the vehicle?
    Yes, ramps are one option and so is a lift (be worth more than the vehicle) but most need another to set up it all up and that might not always be available.
    I can still walk but limited, I can get in and out of a car,(front seat only) .

PS....................................
    Several years ago NSW altered their regulations/charges on vehicles like that one and it either made it impossible to register or the Rego charges were astronomical or a combination of both which they soon had to review and amend very quickly.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 02-01-18 at 01:59 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

If you look carefully at the video, I suspect that the design has its basis in motorcycle design. The steering wheel looks more like motorbike handlebars. Given that the wheelchair just rolls in the issues that the "safety police" would have would be lack of seatbelts. Lack of security for the Chair, i.e. would it be be strong enough to withstand a collision? It's a pity, because I could see a very ready market for such a device.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member

Thanks

I have seen something like this made up on show and what they did was have clamps in place that once the chair was positioned correctly, they held it firmly in place.
    Depending on the person, I have seen some with a belt across the calves of the legs and perhaps around the upper torso so I cant see that being a problem as the chair itself is very robust in its construction for any safety belts to be attached to.
    Using a handle bar form of steering with the controls like the throttle/brakes would be ideal (no clutch being an automatic) but again, depending on the persons ability to operate any controls, they do make special controls to suit.
    The basic shell could most likely mass produced which would help keep the costs down with only the steering/operating controls being custom made to suit the user.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

I work in imports/customs and one of our clients brought in a similar car from Europe except entry was from the front and the steering controls lifted up for entry.

Premium Member

Thanks

A bit like that three wheeler made back in the 60's by BMW I think it was.
    Sadly to say with the population increasing there will be both people born with the need of assistance and those injured from all sorts of accidents that Medical Science has learnt how to improve their situation to be mobile where before they were confined to bed for the rest of their lives may now see such assistance vehicles being mass produced but with variants to suit the persons needs.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 03-01-18 at 04:20 PM.