Thread: Another "Suggest me a laptop" Thread

Thanks

Default Another "Suggest me a laptop" Thread

Hi,
    Looking to buy a new laptop to replace my Microsoft surface pro (which i absolutely hate)
    I don't do anything that would be too taxing,
    Mostly just surfing (lots of tabs open at once) some word processing watching videos and maybe a few real old games..
    I have no need for touch screen or any tablet hybrids, Probably after 15" screen and full keyboard but this is flexible.
    Looking to spend around 1000aud but would rather spend a bit more if it means better performance and will last longer..
    BONUS POINTS IF I CAN PURCHASE IT WITH CRYPTOCURRENCY!!

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bazman View Post
    Hi,
    Looking to buy a new laptop to replace my Microsoft surface pro (which i absolutely hate)
    Just curious as to why you hate it ?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I don't do anything that would be too taxing,
    Ohhh Lord its hard to be so lazy that I cant make a choice on my own..............
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Ohhh Lord its hard to be so lazy that I cant make a choice on my own..............
    I think you'll find the OP means he doesn't expect the computer to do things that requires huge processing power.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

wal1 (10-01-18)

Thanks

Macbook Pro.

I bought one about 5 years ago and its still going strong.
    0 Complaints, 0 slow downs - perfect for the requirements you've outlined in your post. If i was to buy again it would be another Macbook Pro.
    Little bit more than 1000$AUD.

Prior to that I was going through a laptop at least once a year (Dell/HP/IBM etc. etc.). I bought a Surface Pro 2 years ago because i was travelling a lot and felt it was easier to carry, ended up not liking it and sticking to lugging the mac book around.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,964 Times in 9,060 Posts

ASUS...have three, the oldest about 4 years. An SSD and it runs like an express train.

The others came with SSD's and they fly...

Know nothing of crypto.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

I've always used asus, never a problem, get one with a ssd, and a 1tb drive if the budged goes that far.

just dont buy an asus modem/router....

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

A vote for Toshi-bah here. I usually worn mine out before they gave up. First one was second hand 12 years ago, passed on to son when the battery got tired after a couple of years. Second one was brand new 9 years ago, when w7 first came out, and gave up on that when I started to wear holes in the keyboard. My current one I've had for about 3 years. It might be replaced sooner rather than later only because I have noticed a crack in the screen which only appears to be cosmetic as the display is still working properly. The reason I stick with Toshiba is that their website always has the appropriate drivers for their machines with little stress in finding them.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bazman View Post
    Hi,

BONUS POINTS IF I CAN PURCHASE IT WITH CRYPTOCURRENCY!!
    First the crypto issue:
    Use
    This enables you to purchase with crypto anywhere and Amazon USA is a good place to start but hell NOT Amazon Australia.
    You can also contact them directly and do everything through email including requesting to get a private wallet address to send payments rather than going through their third party merchant. You post the link, they buy it for you after you send BTC or other crypto.
    Unfortunately they don't have a drop-ship service, so you still have to select 'Ship to Australia' for your searches on Amazon but the prices and variety are still better than locally.

Now my recommendation:
    I ordered this which I am very happy with:

Plays even newer games like Subnautica quite well and you can still twist it to a tablet to read magazines. Fairly light, nice keyboard(great in the dark) super battery life for a i7 cpu but keep in mind the portable versions are only dual core. Ubuntu also runs flawlessly(Dell have always been front runners there) and Windows boots a fast as my the old lappy took to wake up from standby.

Don't see anything better with those features new for that price, maybe 0.04BTC which is like pennies if you got your BTC a year or more ago, LOL.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 11-01-18 at 11:50 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...