Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Greens and Australia Day

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,079 Times in 9,094 Posts

@wal1

It's not a rant at all, merely observation and, in your case, direct experience.

The only reason the leftards are spiraling out of control is our own apathy. We LET it happen. After all, it's just easier to let them have their way.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (17-01-18),Guiseppe (18-01-18),wal1 (17-01-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

The official proclamation of the Commonwealth of Australia Constitution took place on January 1st 1901 so we could kill 2 birds with one stone by bbqing our lamb chops on New Years Day.
    Not that I believe we should make a change because no matter what day we celebrate the founding of modern Aus, it will be seen as a negative by some and perhaps justifiably but history is the past and we ought to be concentrating on the future.

This issue could be addressed by making our national day of celebration the day we become a republic, whenever that day may be but let's hope the weather is good for it.
    Last edited by Skepticist; 17-01-18 at 11:06 AM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 678 Posts

Well, moral objections aside, January 26 is usually either hot as buggery here in Darwin, or a torrent of rain. I would much prefer we ditch the monarchy, become a republic, and do it in June or July so we can replace the silly public holiday that is the Queen's birthday, with one that celebrates our true formation as an independent nation.

I am friends with many full-blood aboriginals from a nearby aboriginal community, and none of them could give a stuff one-way or the other about Australia day. Like me, the workers just feel it's a waste of a public holiday, because it's not a good time to go hunting, fishing, or camping.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Onefella For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (17-01-18)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

The Queens Birthday Holiday was chosen for a reason and that was to breakup the 'Working' Year.
    With the exception of fixed days like Australia Day, Anzac Day, Armistice Day, which commemorate a particular event, all the rest have basically been decided on, like Good Friday (Easter) is selected on the phase of the Moon which is why it varies each year.
    Unlike Easter where the reports of the day described certain Astronomical sightings, No one knows for sure when Christ was born so eventually the 25th of December was selected as being as close as possible based on the known events as recorded.
    Christmas in the Northern Hemisphere isnt as big a celebration (holiday) there as it is here mainly because it is mid winter.
    Our School year is set by the seasons, we start our New Year at the end of January as its beginning to cool down, the Northern hemisphere starts theirs generally in September at the end of their Summer.

In the USA, Monday 15th was a Public Holiday for MLK (Martin Luther King) I am not sure if that's the date of his birth or when he was assassinated.
    The Third Thursday in November is Thanks Giving Day rather than the 24th Of November which is the actual date it happened.

You have to remember many of these 'Holidays' date back now nearly a 100 years and things were so much different then particularly in the workplace.
    Every State has its own specific events they celebrate like Labor day which is different in each State.
    If you have a 'Company Picnic Day', this is generally chosen to occur when the season is suitable as well as a 'quiet time' to avoid any disruptions in the workplace.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 17-01-18 at 01:17 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (17-01-18),Onefella (17-01-18)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

I Spent many years ion Darwin, which is where my kids all grew up. By and large racism was not a problem. It was nothing to stand in you back yard and share a beer or six with your various neighbours who all could have come from different parts of the world. Watching the news one night about (I think it was) the Redfern riots and one of the kids commented, "we don't know any aboriginals, do we?" Mum said to take a close look at your friends next time you see them. They came home and said "Hey! Dey is blek!" Now that they are grown, those same kids are still their friends. Most of them could care less about an "apology", or about any other "issues" relating to Australia day or any other day, for that fact. They are all Australians who happen to have aboriginal heritage. Surprisingly, we actually miss the Darwin of Old where you could identify the new car in town. The city has grown way beyond that now, to the point I may not recognise the place any more. (Haven't been back there for about 7 years now, though my Eldest is still there).
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

enf (18-01-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

None of the people of Aboriginal heritage that I know give a sh*t about it....they are too busy trying to pay the bills like everyone else, and regard all the ballyhoo as pointless crap.

Although, when a few beers have been had and the jokes start, they get into it then......
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (18-01-18),Onefella (18-01-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    None of the people of Aboriginal heritage that I know give a sh*t about it....they are too busy trying to pay the bills like everyone else, and regard all the ballyhoo as pointless crap.

Although, when a few beers have been had and the jokes start, they get into it then......
    that's pretty much it, it's just the lefties and a minority of blacks who have an agenda to push.

just like the greens and christmas offending the muzzies....

ffs, they shiould go to Malaysia at christmas time, their christmas decorations and celebrations make ours look pathetic....

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

enf (18-01-18),Guiseppe (18-01-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

I think ppl would be far happier and the world would be a better place if ppl spent less time listening/reading about all this tripe from these oxygen thieves, eg. stop/reduce time spent watching or listening to commercial TV/ABC or reading the 'news' papers and instead did something useful........................like the 'kin housework/hobby/playing with the kids

If ppl stopped listening to said oxygen thieves would they find something else to do, like something useful/beneficial to society...................I wont be holding my breath, but I can always hope

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Here is an interesting commentary from former Labour minister Graham Richardson.

Let me state first that I don't like or respect Richo much....He's a self confessed liar and I dislike liars. And some of his commentary, particularly in regards to the Helsham inquiry in Tassie is just incorrect. However, I think he speaks for the vast majority of Australians re Australia day.

I found a working link to this paywalled article, but it may not stay open so I have quoted it.

Miserable Greens would deny us all that we hold dear and cherish

Graham Richardson
    Political columnist
    Sydney
    @SkyNewsRicho

There was a time when the Greens were all that their name suggests they should be. They were passionate about our environment and they fought really hard to protect Australia’s forests.

I was proud to be their ally in the noble endeavour of protecting rainforests and old-growth forests. I placed more than 20 per cent of Tasmania into World Heritage and, despite resolute opposition from the Bjelke-Petersen government in Queensland, I managed to list the rainforests of the Daintree region and the far north on the World Heritage register as well. Sadly, it did not take too long for me to realise that I could never do enough for them. No matter how much I achieved, they were always disappointed.

The Helsham inquiry was set up to finally settle which Tasmanian forests were to be protected. Many learned conservationists were disappointed at its outcome and I set about undoing the #inquiry’s final report. It took a three-day cabinet meeting that grew pretty heated at times before a very close vote overturned that report. I was ecstatic and raced to share the news of this huge win for Tasmanian forests’ preservation. I rang Bob Brown, who could only express his disappointment at the cabinet not going far enough. The Greens could never be satisfied. For them it was all or nothing.

Brown, despite everything, was a tremendous voice for the environment and by far the best leader the Greens have had. The Greens began their life in Australia as a mainly Tasmanian group. They were able to export their fervour to the mainland on the back of an environmental purist in Brown.

He was never seen as a politician on the make or consumed by personal ambition. He projected decency and Australians responded. The Greens were able to achieve a national vote of 10 per cent very, very quickly. The problem is that they have never been able to increase that number.

r

They are stuck at 10 per cent #because they no longer have the Greens purity of a Bob Brown. Since they stopped worrying about the trees and adopted the mantle of the true party of the left in Australia, they limited their #horizons and seem determined to remain a minor party.

Sure, they will win inner-city seats in the parliament and if the Liberals think that the short-term gain of Labor losing a by-election in the seat of Batman in Victoria is more important than keeping out a Greens member who believes in everything the Liberals don’t, then the Greens will secure that victory in the next few months. The Greens will no doubt trumpet this as a major win and predict they will march on to greater glories. They won’t, of course. As long as they lean as far to the left as they do at present, they will #remain on the fringes of power. They can rattle their sabres in the Senate and have a minor role in shaping legislation but real power will continue to elude them.

As long as they are determined to push issues that not only alienate the bulk of Australians but #infuriate them as well, then their campaigns will fall on deaf ears and blind eyes. One of the first #indications that the Greens have fundamental difficulties in accepting the way the great majority of Australians live was when now-vanquished Queensland Green Larissa Waters took on the cause of changing the toys our children play with. She wanted to ban Barbie dolls because they were gender-specific. Little girls have played with dolls since the Son of God played on the wing for Jerusalem. I have managed to live my 68 years seeing absolutely nothing wrong with little girls playing with dolls. And even if I am #accused of being a truly dreadful person, I readily concede that I would not have been comfortable with my son playing with dolls. Fortunately, he never did.

On the last day at my son’s school last month, there was a Christmas carols evening with a religious theme held at St #Andrew’s Anglican Cathedral in Sydney. Silent Night still sounds like a wonderful song to me and the children and their parents had a terrific time. The harmonies, the musicianship and the most brilliant music teachers brought songs we had all been familiar with since we were children to life yet again. This was a great Christmas celebration following a great Christmas tradition. The Greens don’t want us to have these celebrations.

Tasmanian senator Nick McKim and a few of his mates drew up a non-denominational card to be sent out at Christmas. Why do these miserable bastards want to attack how we play and what we celebrate? The tradition of sending Christmas cards has been breaking down for some years. As a kid I remember my family #received and sent a hundred cards. Now it is only a few. The Greens, though, should not read into the decline in cards anything about celebrating Christmas #itself. That tradition is alive and kicking. The Greens can only stand outside the mainstream if they continue to deride it.

Today’s leader of the Greens, Richard Di Natale, surprised #no one this week when, in line with the black-armband view of history they peddle, he called for Australia Day to be moved away from the commemoration of the landing of the First Fleet at Botany Bay. Again, he stands against what a huge majority of Australians want and believe in.

I was at the harbour in 1988 when the 200th anniversary was being commemorated. There were so many boats, from the workers’ tinnies to the billionaires’ luxury yachts, out that day that there was very little space on the water. Australians voted with their feet and came out in their millions to be a part of it. The Greens will never dampen the way we feel about Australia Day.

Di Natale said his party would take it up with their representatives in local government. As far as most of us are concerned, this will merely mean that a few nut#tier councils will lose their right to conduct citizenship ceremonies on this day. By the way, the number of people who seek to have their Australian citizenship conferred on Australia Day itself speaks volumes for the popularity of the day.

Australia Day can be a time when we celebrate the wonderful country in which we live and renew our vows to do better with indigenous health and education.

We cannot roll over and allow the Greens to tell us how to live and what to think.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

mkhannah (19-01-18),Tiny (20-01-18)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

This whole "Australia Day" thing is, according to them, to unify Australians. Strange,,,,,,,,I don't see much unity, more like division.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 1,059 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    This whole "Australia Day" thing is, according to them, to unify Australians. Strange,,,,,,,,I don't see much unity, more like division.
    Every thing they do is about division.
    Gay Marriage etc. Divide and conquer.

Keep the plebs, us, occupied so they cannot see how we are screwing them.
    Shoot the lot of them. Oh we can't, we are not allowed to have guns.
    Only available to criminals.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Reschs For This Useful Post:

enf (20-01-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reschs View Post
    Every thing they do is about division.
    Gay Marriage etc. Divide and conquer.

Keep the plebs, us, occupied so they cannot see how we are screwing them.
    Shoot the lot of them. Oh we can't, we are not allowed to have guns.
    Only available to criminals.
    Illegally available to all Australians.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bob_m_54 View Post
    What I don't get, why is there such opposition to changing Australia Day from the 26th of Jan, a day that celebrates the start of abject misery for most of the people who were transported here anyway.
    Because I am not a self loather.

That's about it in a nutshell. I have 4 convict ancestors.

I embrace my history. The 5-10% aboriginal ancestry whites who carry on about Australia Day hate themselves. Personally I wish they would go and stick their heads in the oven so I don't have to listen to them. Its only these middle class fake aboriginals in Sydney and Melbourne that sit and bitch about it, aboriginals in rural areas have better things to do with their time rather than be social media justice warriors.

Perhaps I should take out a lawsuit against Aboriginal Australia for their failure in duty of care to my ancestors, in that they as owners of this country stood back and made no reasonable effort to assist my ancestors who were illegally detained ?

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

Tiny (20-01-18),VroomVroom (23-01-18)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Some may have noted what I recently said in regards to what your were voting for in regards to Gay Marriage.

I said that once they got the Yes vote that would not be the end of it, and that after a week of getting pissed they would be on to the next target. And sure enough, I was correct.

I also stated that I was a former loony leftist and know how they work. Its the same people, the same protestors, at every single issue.

Nah.....what would I know. It does get boring being right on this topic all the time though.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Because I am not a self loather.

That's about it in a nutshell. I have 4 convict ancestors.

I embrace my history. The 5-10% aboriginal ancestry whites who carry on about Australia Day hate themselves. Personally I wish they would go and stick their heads in the oven so I don't have to listen to them. Its only these middle class fake aboriginals in Sydney and Melbourne that sit and bitch about it, aboriginals in rural areas have better things to do with their time rather than be social media justice warriors.

Perhaps I should take out a lawsuit against Aboriginal Australia for their failure in duty of care to my ancestors, in that they as owners of this country stood back and made no reasonable effort to assist my ancestors who were illegally detained ?
    It's got farkall to do with self loathing, it's just an absurd concept. Celebrate the day this country was officially made a convict settlement of the British Empire. And it's got farkall to do with what your thoughts are on the Aboriginal stance on it, which is another (and legitimate) matter all together.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Some may have noted what I recently said in regards to what your were voting for in regards to Gay Marriage.

I said that once they got the Yes vote that would not be the end of it, and that after a week of getting pissed they would be on to the next target. And sure enough, I was correct.

I also stated that I was a former loony leftist and know how they work. Its the same people, the same protestors, at every single issue.

Nah.....what would I know. It does get boring being right on this topic all the time though.
    I can't see the relation to the topic?

Thanks

Not a fan of changing it from Jan 26 but an ideal alternative date could be April 4th, which was the first time the word "Australia" was used officially in 1817. Prior to that it was "New Holland".

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bob_m_54 View Post
    It's got farkall to do with self loathing, it's just an absurd concept. Celebrate the day this country was officially made a convict settlement of the British Empire. And it's got farkall to do with what your thoughts are on the Aboriginal stance on it, which is another (and legitimate) matter all together.
    Absurd to YOU maybe, but is it absurd to the vast majority? I doubt it. So, being a democratic country we should just do what the majority want.

Leave it alone and pump some of that zeal into solving real problems and not symbolism. Those of aboriginal ancestry that I know would prefer that by a mile.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PZ. View Post
    Not a fan of changing it from Jan 26 but an ideal alternative date could be April 4th, which was the first time the word "Australia" was used officially in 1817. Prior to that it was "New Holland".
    it would likely collide with easter

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

As I said earlier, Holidays must be organised so as not to interrupt the flow of both everyday life and Business.
    I dont know of many who are thrilled to have a Holiday that is NOT one for an event that falls on a day of the week, like having Thursday Off and working on Friday.
    Today many get around that by taking a day out of any leave due, Trade or Company Picnic day etc.

Again, I fail to see how changing the present date of Australia Day form the 26th of January to the 4th of April changes anything at all.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast