Thread: Desktop icon WINCE 6

Thanks

Default Desktop icon WINCE 6

Is there any way to remove the DESKTOP icon in windows CE? In a Chinese GPS?.

Or create a full bakup of the GPS without desktop icon?

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Why?

What difference does it make to operation whether that icon is there or not?

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

As you've been told elsewhere, not without breaking the device, it's hardcoded into the ROM.

Thanks

That icon or program, is the problem of the blockages of the Chinese GPS. The units that come without that icon, the IGO works well.
    I have a copy of the GPS record without that icon, will that work?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jma View Post
    As you've been told elsewhere, not without breaking the device, it's hardcoded into the ROM.
    Is pobible edit the ROM? Or dump the ROM oficial with xp o windows 10
    Last edited by marky1991; 21-01-18 at 04:21 AM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Refer to post #3.

'Hard-coded' means that the contents of the ROM can not be changed.

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

AFAIK that icon does nothing more than open the WinCE desktop, that's what it does on the Chinese devices I have.
    I can open the desktop from that icon, navigate to where the .exe for iGO is & run it from there without any problems.
    What happens when you tap that icon?
    In the pic you provide it looks like the GPS info is showing 12 satellites connected?
    Which usually means the device is connecting to and communicating with satellites ok.

If you have a copy of the original ROM somewhere then I guess it's possible to edit it to remove that icon, then reflash the device with it.
    I have no idea how to edit a ROM to remove icons or anything though, and doing that could cause other problems.
    If you have a different ROM and it's not made for that specific device, flashing the device with that different ROM could work ok, or it could turn it into a paperweight.

It might help a little if you could better explain exactly what the problem is?
    Saying that icon blocks iGO doesn't really tell us much.
    Is the iGO version on the device NextGen, Primo 2.4, Primo 2.0, iGO8, Amigo?
    Does the program run ok just won't connect to satellites?
    Does the program not start or closes with an error when trying to start?
    It could be something as simple as changing or adding an entry to the sys.txt file that will make it work as expected.
    But first we have to understand what the problem actually is...

Thanks

AFAIK that icon does nothing more than open the WinCE desktop, that's what it does on the Chinese devices I have.
    I can open the desktop from that icon, navigate to where the .exe for iGO is & run it from there without any problems.
    What happens when you tap that icon?
    In the pic you provide it looks like the GPS info is showing 12 satellites connected?
    Which usually means the device is connecting to and communicating with satellites ok.

If you have a copy of the original ROM somewhere then I guess it's possible to edit it to remove that icon, then reflash the device with it.
    I have no idea how to edit a ROM to remove icons or anything though, and doing that could cause other problems.
    If you have a different ROM and it's not made for that specific device, flashing the device with that different ROM could work ok, or it could turn it into a paperweight.

It might help a little if you could better explain exactly what the problem is?
    Saying that icon blocks iGO doesn't really tell us much.
    Is the iGO version on the device NextGen, Primo 2.4, Primo 2.0, iGO8, Amigo?
    Does the program run ok just won't connect to satellites?
    Does the program not start or closes with an error when trying to start?
    It could be something as simple as changing or adding an entry to the sys.txt file that will make it work as expected.
    But first we have to understand what the problem actually is...
    Hi, this is the link of the ROM oficial. But i need delete the desktop program... This is the problem of Blocks igo primo 2.4....

Check the link, is anyway delete this in the update?

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

As I mentioned yesterday, there may be a way to remove that icon from the ROM but I have no idea how to go about it.
    Seeing as it's found in the Settings section perhaps look at editing the part of the ROM that controls what settings icons are displayed.
    I doubt you can remove the entire "desktop program" and still have an operational ROM, as the desktop program is WindowsCE itself.
    I have 2 Xgody devices, both have that icon, if I tap it I get a message asking if I want to enter WinCE with a Yes or No option, that's all it does is displays the WindowsCE Desktop if I tap Yes.
    Both devices can run iGO8, iGO Primo 2.0 & 2.4, OziExplorerCE & GarminXT & other WinCE software without any troubles.

As I also mentioned yesterday, if you want people to help you might have to explain exactly what is going on.
    Unless others can understand the issue you're probably not going to get much help.
    One example of how to explain might be to explain step by step what you do & what happens from when the device is turned on to iGO being 'blocked'.
    Even a video of the steps & what's happening could be helpful.
    Just telling us it blocks iGO 2.4 really tells us nothing.
    How does it block it?
    How do you know it's blocking it & it's not something else going on?
    Does the program run ok but won't connect to satellites?
    Does it crash when started?
    Etc. etc. etc....

Thanks

As I mentioned yesterday, there may be a way to remove that icon from the ROM but I have no idea how to go about it.
    Seeing as it's found in the Settings section perhaps look at editing the part of the ROM that controls what settings icons are displayed.
    I doubt you can remove the entire "desktop program" and still have an operational ROM, as the desktop program is WindowsCE itself.
    I have 2 Xgody devices, both have that icon, if I tap it I get a message asking if I want to enter WinCE with a Yes or No option, that's all it does is displays the WindowsCE Desktop if I tap Yes.
    Both devices can run iGO8, iGO Primo 2.0 & 2.4, OziExplorerCE & GarminXT & other WinCE software without any troubles.

As I also mentioned yesterday, if you want people to help you might have to explain exactly what is going on.
    Unless others can understand the issue you're probably not going to get much help.
    One example of how to explain might be to explain step by step what you do & what happens from when the device is turned on to iGO being 'blocked'.
    Even a video of the steps & what's happening could be helpful.
    Just telling us it blocks iGO 2.4 really tells us nothing.
    How does it block it?
    How do you know it's blocking it & it's not something else going on?
    Does the program run ok but won't connect to satellites?
    Does it crash when started?
    Etc. etc. etc....
    Hi, the program of IGO primo 2.4, without desktop icon, and the same values in my sys.txt works fine without block, errors...etc.

But when I update the ROM and the icon appears, the device locks up when using the IGO, not showing any error message, it simply freezes the image and it is necessary to reset the device.

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Maybe the ROM update is buggy or perhaps incompatible with the device.
    If my devices worked ok before updating the ROM then stopped working ok after updating the ROM, then I would probably take the easiest solution, which is to not update the ROM.
    I would say there's probably more difference in the 2 ROM's than just the desktop icon as the icon is only a shortcut to displaying the CE desktop, one ROM has it the other doesn't.
    It's more likely there's something else different between the 2 ROM's that's causing your issue, though what that might be or even where to start looking I have no idea.
    Perhaps communicate with whoever built the updated ROM to find out what was changed?

EDIT: something else that may or may not be relevant, do you delete or rename the "Save" folder in Primo before running it with the updated ROM?
    Using the Save folder from the original ROM on the updated ROM may cause problems, try deleting/renaming it before running Primo on the updated ROM so all the settings are reset to default the first time it's run.
    Last edited by Jma; 24-01-18 at 04:35 PM. Reason: more info

Thanks

Maybe the ROM update is buggy or perhaps incompatible with the device.
    If my devices worked ok before updating the ROM then stopped working ok after updating the ROM, then I would probably take the easiest solution, which is to not update the ROM.
    I would say there's probably more difference in the 2 ROM's than just the desktop icon as the icon is only a shortcut to displaying the CE desktop, one ROM has it the other doesn't.
    It's more likely there's something else different between the 2 ROM's that's causing your issue, though what that might be or even where to start looking I have no idea.
    Perhaps communicate with whoever built the updated ROM to find out what was changed?

EDIT: something else that may or may not be relevant, do you delete or rename the "Save" folder in Primo before running it with the updated ROM?
    Using the Save folder from the original ROM on the updated ROM may cause problems, try deleting/renaming it before running Primo on the updated ROM so all the settings are reset to default the first time it's run.

Everything you mentioned, I've done it, and the problem is to update the ROM, the weird thing is that, the version, the app version, is exactly the same ... The only visible difference is the shortcut on the desktop

I have written a message to the seller, and he always sends me the same ROM, it works, but he has that problem.
    I have a copy of the registry in a GPS without updating, if I restore it in the updated one, would it be the same?
    Last edited by marky1991; 25-01-18 at 01:07 AM.

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marky1991 View Post
    I have a copy of the registry in a GPS without updating, if I restore it in the updated one, would it be the same?
    Honestly, I have no idea if it would be the same or not.
    It might work or it might not, I guess the only way to know for sure is to either try it, or communicate with someone who does know & take their advice.
    I do know from using Windows many years ago that messing with the registry usually caused all sorts of problems, I've never messed with it on CE devices.

You running Primo from SDMMC (SD card) or from ResidentFlash (device storage)?
    Perhaps try running it from the location you're not currently running it from?
    I have a couple of Nozatek devices that have something wrong with ResidentFlash, get crashes & freezups all the time, but if I run any software from SDMMC on those same devices it all works perfectly.

Thanks

Honestly, I have no idea if it would be the same or not.
    It might work or it might not, I guess the only way to know for sure is to either try it, or communicate with someone who does know & take their advice.
    I do know from using Windows many years ago that messing with the registry usually caused all sorts of problems, I've never messed with it on CE devices.

You running Primo from SDMMC (SD card) or from ResidentFlash (device storage)?
    Perhaps try running it from the location you're not currently running it from?
    I have a couple of Nozatek devices that have something wrong with ResidentFlash, get crashes & freezups all the time, but if I run any software from SDMMC on those same devices it all works perfectly.
    Yes, i have runing the igo from sd card and works perfect. But in gps without desktop icon works fine in interna memory without blocks....

Is recomended restaure the register keys in the desktop icon gps¿

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marky1991 View Post
    Yes, i have runing the igo from sd card and works perfect. But in gps without desktop icon works fine in interna memory without blocks....

Is recomended restaure the register keys in the desktop icon gps¿

The problem IS NOT the desktop icon/shortcut/link
    The problem is the iGo software that is installed on the internal memory of the unit
    Removing the icon from a ROM will not fix the problem
    What you need to do is over write the iGo program on the internal memory of the GPS unit with a working version
    If you can't run with the DOGS, Stay on the Porch