Thread: Another HP POS! HP laptop G71-329wm no boot!

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 3,031 Times in 777 Posts

Default Another HP POS! HP laptop G71-329wm no boot!

At boot up, Power, Wireless and Bat chg lights turn on for 3 secs then unit shuts down. No onscreen video what so ever!

I changed RAM modules(2 qty) out and now unit partially boots, Power,Wireless and Bat chg are lit, and stays powered up to the point where the caps lock lights (two of them) blink three times then pauses, blinks 3 times and pauses and so on, but still no onscreen video what so ever!

HP Blink code says defective memory first, (installed new pair RAM modules 2 - 2gb DDR2) and if that don't solve problem (it didn't) defective motherboard!

Installed new motherboard, with new DDR2 RAM modules and same condition exists, powers up, Power,Wireless and Bat chg are lit, caps lock lights blink(3 x sequence), and nothing further. No video display what so ever, NO PRODUCT NAME/MODEL, NO BIOS/POST screen nothing. (See attached pic)

Anyone else seen/had this problem?

thanks in advance chris

Last edited by cmangle; 27-01-18 at 04:15 PM.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

It says on this website the RAM should be DDR2

"The HP G71-329WM Laptop takes the PC2-6400/5300 DDR2 SODIMM 200-Pin memory memory type, and comes installed with 2GB(Removable) memory."
    Last edited by mandc; 27-01-18 at 04:10 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mandc For This Useful Post:

cmangle (28-01-18)

Banned

Thanks

i might have posted the wrong type, this is what i bought new,

Last edited by cmangle; 27-01-18 at 04:21 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

OK.So that is DDR2 ram at 800MHz and should be fine for your computer. Have you tried another screen?.....connect another monitor to the video out port to test if it's your screen that's gone.
    Last edited by mandc; 27-01-18 at 05:50 PM.

cmangle (28-01-18)

Banned

Thanks

I tried connecting to another monitor, VGA out and nothing.

Banned

Thanks

I also tried solutions recommended from a Google search, A)Power Reset (3 different variations), and B) the keyboard Bios Reset (Windows logo key with the "B" key and the "V" key) solution with no success.
    In the morning I will create a USB boot stick with Winflash Bios program for this G71.
    Last edited by cmangle; 27-01-18 at 09:02 PM.

Thanks

It's the on board video card the chip needs reballed

• The Following User Says Thank You to ComShop For This Useful Post:

cmangle (28-01-18)

Banned

Thanks

Comshop, I read that somewhere in my google search.

could you expound on the "reballed" procedure?

thanks

Premium Member
    Thanks

The video chip is a possibility also but didn't you replace the motherboard? Maybe both motherboards were faulty if it's a known weakness.

Reballing is usually where the chip is removed then resoldered back onto the motherboard (preferably with a new chip). Reflow is just heating the soldered joints hoping they will reattach. Both techniques may work but are not guaranteed.

cmangle (29-01-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

wrap it in a towel for a few hours with the power attached, then try it, stupidest mothers tale i ever heard but it worked for me once
    just to test the theory, lappy was kuput afterwards
    or hit it with a hair dryer, the heat part not physically

https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

• The Following User Says Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

cmangle (29-01-18)

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mandc View Post
    The video chip is a possibility also but didn't you replace the motherboard? Maybe both motherboards were faulty if it's a known weakness.

Reballing is usually where the chip is removed then resoldered back onto the motherboard (preferably with a new chip). Reflow is just heating the soldered joints hoping they will reattach. Both techniques may work but are not guaranteed.
    Yes I did get another motherboard, "used" not "new".

When I asked the replacement motherboard supplier if he tested the mother board, he replied yes with "RAM DDR2 2Rx8 PC2-5800S!"

I think I got F**KED! I did an eBay search and there is no such thing as 5800 speed ram, only 5300 or 6400 ddr2 (see pic)

Last edited by cmangle; 29-01-18 at 05:13 AM.

Thanks

you sound like me with my intel motherboards
    could even be the cpu sadly
    hopefully you havnt bought a dead board, any more ram you can try?
    whats the cpu? may be able to source a cheap one

• The Following User Says Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

cmangle (29-01-18)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cmangle View Post
    At boot up, Power, Wireless and Bat chg lights turn on for 3 secs then unit shuts down. No onscreen video what so ever!

I changed RAM modules(2 qty) out and now unit partially boots, Power,Wireless and Bat chg are lit, and stays powered up to the point where the caps lock lights (two of them) blink three times then pauses, blinks 3 times and pauses and so on, but still no onscreen video what so ever!

HP Blink code says defective memory first, (installed new pair RAM modules 2 - 2gb DDR2) and if that don't solve problem (it didn't) defective motherboard!

Installed new motherboard, with new DDR2 RAM modules and same condition exists, powers up, Power,Wireless and Bat chg are lit, caps lock lights blink(3 x sequence), and nothing further. No video display what so ever, NO PRODUCT NAME/MODEL, NO BIOS/POST screen nothing. (See attached pic)

Anyone else seen/had this problem?

thanks in advance chris

Yes less than a week ago with a Presario CQ61, which probably has a similar motherboard.
    Exactly the same issue with 3X blinking LED. Also tried everything you did. (had three different sets of RAM to test with).

I also assumed it was a BGA soldering issue.
    I took out the hard drive and binned it. I organised for the owner an old MacBookPro and she is now very happy.

I think they invented BGA (Ball Grid Array) just to make sure things don't last long, so people have to keep buying new. Of course it is a cheap and fast manufacturing process once automated.
    Apple Macs have big had issues with them too.
    Reheating/reflow has NEVER worked longer than a few weeks, I have tried many times.
    It needs to be REBALLED and that requires a lot of experience(a bucket full of chips before you get it right) and certainy not worth the effort for an old HP lappy that you could find on a garage sale or even on street collections for free.

@PHILQUAD, I also have bad experience with 2 Intel motherboards just 2 weeks ago.
    I didn't respond to your other thread because I do not have any with 1150 socket, but the older 1155 I had been testing were total garbage. Same issue with the fan on and off every few seconds.
    It was NOT the CPU, runs fine on other boards. I was ony using an i7 though.

Don't remeber even having a faulty CPU (for sockets), although many times thought I did but always proven wrong.
    I have even deliberately tested old CPUs without heatsink until they shut down from overheating. Once cooled down they were all running fine again.
    Bending/breaking pins and overvoltage/static discharge are about the only things I can think of that can ruin a CPU.
    However I would have to write a whole book if I wanted to explain what can go wrong on a mother board, including the pins that are on the motherboard with the Intels in question.

I probably can fill a wheely bin with faulty mother boards ...and I think it is about time I should.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 29-01-18 at 06:42 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

cmangle (29-01-18)

Banned

Thanks

eBay motherboard source is taking the new(NFG) MB back. The replacement motherboard came with CPU and heat sink intact. I re-pasted it anyway!

I found another MB, even cheaper, supposedly in "A" condition!

We'll see, it's amazing though that both seem to have the RAM(3-blink) error AND/OR the bad graphic chip! What are the odds?

Thanks

i know, i wont even bother changing a motherboard now without a new cpu (most cases) & working ram
    & laptops, hard drives, ram, odd keyboard, any harder, nope, bin it, buy a new 300$ job
    before you spend it on maybe working 2nds & hours of hair loss.

tho saying that, fixed a free intel 478 chip to give to a friend, 1.5 ddr, 20gb ide drive, at 1st i wondered why i bothered, a couple of reboots, xp came good, runs like a dream