Thread: 3G/4G Vehicle Repeater

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Default 3G/4G Vehicle Repeater

I know Telstra offer a similar product for an obscene amount of money
    But honestly, why cant we have a product like this here?
    That works on all networks

Looks so simple and all the YouTube videos i've seen where people have used it, they all claim how great it works
    Honestly, why is it so hard in Australia have a product like this?

If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

DB44 (30-01-18),Rick (30-01-18),Tiny (31-01-18)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

External antenna is a boost for a start which if I read correctly feeds an Amp that varies its amplification on the incoming signal rather than like most are fixed.
    The Amp boosts both Receive and Transmit presumably based on the value of the available signal.
    As very few mobile phones have an antenna connection (That's why I chose and am hanging onto the Mobile I have) it has to connect to the Amp maybe by Bluetooth?

Of course it would cover 'All Networks' so long as they operate in the bands selected for Mobile Phone use.

Because it is a Transmitter, It would have to pass the ACMA's requirements which this one MAY not but the Telstra sold unit does.

As for Telstra charging an 'Arm and a Leg', if their the only player in that market, Telstra has never been backward in charging the most.

Its been my experience around my area that if I connect the external antenna, I get an immediate increase in the signal of 2 bars which when there were none before, means you can call out.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 31-01-18 at 10:56 AM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    would have to pass the ACMA's requirements
    Im really not sure what some of your post means...
    But yes, it is obviously an ACMA issue

And hence my original question, why is it ok the USA to buy/sell/own these units, but not here?
    (unless you buy the dedicated Telstra unit with $995 and $1650 respectively)

I can only think, they are scared of some kind of interference issues or a flood of grey imports (of which there already is)
    Then they have the problem getting them out of circulation.
    In fact, not having legal units available here, is probably the whole reason for untested grey imports being used here in the first place.

But the USA has used "Powered Amplifier" devices for 10 years now... Legally.

Australia has the same issue with sparse country side and regional reception issues, why not have a product for Australians?

Between the mindlessly fast growing RV, Campervan, Caravan, Grey Nomad, 4WD sector and the Increasing Transport Fleets, there is more than a large enough market
    Because as you as gordon, there is NO Antenna ports on smartphones these days
    Last edited by ol' boy; 31-01-18 at 12:21 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member
    Thanks

I have come to these products, as i have found Passive Cradles for your Smart phone do nothing!
    Have tried 2 now, both well known brands

Yet to find anyone that is willing to prove to me they work by example
    Last edited by ol' boy; 31-01-18 at 12:48 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

America doesn't always make the best choices.... just because they allow them, doesn't automatically make them harmless.

Both Telstra and Optus use the approved booster, but they are intended for fixed installations in homes, not for portable/mobile use.

The problem with amplifiers is they have the potential to cause interference on networks and to other users.

The Telstra/Optus approved device communicates with the tower/s and actually becomes part of the carrier's network as it is constantly monitored by the network and varies its input and output levels so they are balanced with respect with how the tower signals are performing at any given time.

They are an interactive network device, unlike most amps that just boost signals.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (31-01-18),ol' boy (31-01-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

When i just looked, i see the Optus Home Device is now discontinued?
    But you can buy ex-demo units?

Anyway, it was just a recreation for the first Telstra Box style unit from what i can tell.

I didn't know they were interactive with the network, that actually impresses me... I had no idea.

So this Telstra Vehicle unit works the same?
    Last edited by ol' boy; 31-01-18 at 12:56 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    So this Telstra Vehicle unit works the same?
    Yes mate... same deal... interacts with the towers and automatically adjusts to suit signals at the time/location.

As you move into areas that have strong cellular signals, they basically bypass the amp... otherwise (with typical amps) you'd end up with signal overload, which results in data errors... and you get no signal.

Too much signal is as bad an too little signal... the same principle as digital TV, etc.

They are bloody expensive, but they do work well.

I've installed a few.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (31-01-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post

Too much signal is as bad an too little signal... the same principle as digital TV, etc.

They are bloody expensive, but they do work well.

I've installed a few.
    I thought that might be the case
    I've been eyeing off some eBay units for Optus, but the description is very vague.
    And i feared it might just be a very basic amplifier, without many "smarts" behind it to filter things out or correct digital packet timing and so forth.

Example of an Optus Booster:

Yet, i have no way of knowing if it is more for Voice or Data, or if it makes no difference?
    And as you mentioned, i had fears of how well it works in high reception areas which would be 90% of the time

Theres is also Australian based companies offering such products (yet none would meet ACMA approval i'm sure)

Last edited by ol' boy; 31-01-18 at 01:27 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Example of an Optus Booster:
    That device is illegal to use in Australia.

If you create interference to other users or networks and get caught... there are severe penalties that can be applied

The Cel-Fi models are the only cellular amps that are network-approved in Australia (due mostly to their interactivity operation).

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (31-01-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

At this point in time mtv and due to the lack of support in the AU market for a Vehicle solution for Optus, i can see why people would be prepared to take that risk.

Administrator
    Thanks

Cost is a big factor as well, why people are not prepared to spend so much on a device.

As for Optus (or any other carrier for that matter) you can amplify something that is not there.

Telstra typically has far greater coverage compared to Optus.

Granted, there are places where Optus has network coverage where Telstra doesn't as well.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Cost is a big factor as well, why people are not prepared to spend so much on a device.

As for Optus (or any other carrier for that matter) you can amplify something that is not there.
    I guess you meant "can't"

My main gripe is you look at the Coverage Maps from any of the 3 main cellular network providers and they show different shaded areas of coverage
    Some being 3G, some 4G.... But what has been around the longest, is shading for "Handset only" or "External Antenna".

So, how are we to take advantage of this "External Antenna" coverage, if we cant use an External antenna?

Agreed, i doubt Optus would have many customers looking for better range, they would just switch to Telstra if that was their main objective.
    But, there are other carries that offer much better deals than Telstra, so in fairness, why isn't there a single simple "All Network" interactive booster product?
    Last edited by ol' boy; 31-01-18 at 04:32 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

That device is illegal to use in Australia.
    Every link in the post has an illegal item.

Penalties are huge (up to 2 years jail for each offence for an individual) and I have heard of people being caught in the past as the ACMA have tracked down the interference.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Every link in the post has an illegal item.

Penalties are huge (up to 2 years jail for each offence for an individual) and I have heard of people being caught in the past as the ACMA have tracked down the interference.
    Pretty hard when its moving at 100ks
    Or that a lot of 3G/4G antennas look the same as UHF antennas

I can image fixed units being easy to find
    Last edited by ol' boy; 31-01-18 at 04:31 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Unless your a real Itinerant, I would bet most users of this would travel a regular route and that's how the ACMA could track a mobile unit broadcasting if they began receiving complaints of interference.
    I am sure there is equipment available to be set up in a tower that would record such interference so they could then go mobile to track and follow the transmitting vehicle to obtain its details and then take whatever action is available for them to seize the equipment and prosecute the user.

Sounds a bit 'James Bondish' maybe but I'll bet you a dollar with the Terrorism alerts that has the Police armed to the teeth now that they dont use this sort of equipment when they latch onto a 'Person of Interest'.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!