Thread: There's a Starman Waiting in the sky in a Tesla Roadster!

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 3,031 Times in 777 Posts

Default There's a Starman Waiting in the sky in a Tesla Roadster!

“Last pic of Starman in Roadster enroute to Mars Orbit and then the Asteroid Belt.”

Scientists believe that radiation will tear the car into pieces within a year.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cmangle For This Useful Post:

eaglem (09-02-18),Reschs (08-02-18),VroomVroom (09-02-18)

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,060 Posts

Been following this through a Radio Interview with an Australian Space guru. David Reneke.
    Appears the Rocket System is very advanced and the ability to return the Launch Rockets to land was a first.
    Only one fell off the platform.
    Most land in the sea and cost a bomb to clean out for re use.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Reschs For This Useful Post:

cmangle (09-02-18)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

This bloke has gone from being so 'GREEN' with his battery options to suddenly earning the Title of being the the First Human to Pollute Space with Junk, ie the car and the space suited manikin.................
    In the last 60 years we have pushed all sorts of shit into both Space and onto places like the Moon, Mars, Venus and I think Saturn but these have all been ostensibly for science but this is nothing more than a demonstration on how to waste money, time and energy, unless of course watching the car and the figurine disintegrate from radiation as some claim with happen?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    This bloke has gone from being so 'GREEN' with his battery options to suddenly earning the Title of being the the First Human to Pollute Space with Junk, ie the car and the space suited manikin.................
    In the last 60 years we have pushed all sorts of shit into both Space and onto places like the Moon, Mars, Venus and I think Saturn but these have all been ostensibly for science but this is nothing more than a demonstration on how to waste money, time and energy, unless of course watching the car and the figurine disintegrate from radiation as some claim with happen?
    You may not have read why he put the car up there gordon?
    The rocket launch was one of many tests & they had to have a payload. They could of used concrete blocks, however Elon said 'that would be boring' so he put the car in the payload, no big deal & it generated more publicity which is desirable when you want more investors!

They also had to test the recently designed space suit in real conditions (well almost real; it was a manikin in the suit), mission achieved, it worked.

They also observed that the cars battery lasted less time than expected in outer space, so more info for future travel.

This is real technology testing & way better than the stupid Kiwi that launched a giant disco ball into Earth's orbit.

Test vehicles usually carry concrete or steel blocks, but Musk said that would be “extremely boring.”
    “We decided to send something unusual, something that made us feel,” Musk was quoted as saying. SpaceX expected the battery in the car to last 12 hours, but it lasted just 4 hours, according to .
    Scientists believe that radiation will tear the car into pieces within a year.
    Last edited by Tiny; 09-02-18 at 06:04 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

cmangle (09-02-18),DB44 (10-02-18),enf (09-02-18),gulliver (10-02-18),porkop (09-02-18),softel (11-02-18),Uncle Fester (09-02-18),VroomVroom (10-02-18),william10 (09-02-18)

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Just the video of the boosters landing on landing pads made it all worth while!!!!!

That’s testing technology for an eventual manned mars landing
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to porkop For This Useful Post:

cmangle (09-02-18),enf (09-02-18),william10 (09-02-18)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by porkop View Post
    Just the video of the boosters landing on landing pads made it all worth while!!!!!

That’s testing technology for an eventual manned mars landing
    absolutely, this is mind blowing!!

The Starman already passed Mars & on the way to the asteroid belt, fark that was quick, now they just have to work out how to slow it down for delivery to Mars future settlement & if a human can live thru the journey at that speed??

Third burn successful. Exceeded Mars orbit and kept going to the Asteroid Belt.

Last edited by Tiny; 09-02-18 at 06:27 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

cmangle (09-02-18),william10 (09-02-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,105 Times in 9,100 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post

The Starman already passed Mars & on the way to the asteroid belt, fark that was quick, now they just have to work out how to slow it down for delivery to Mars future settlement & if a human can live thru the journey at that speed??
    Has NO ONE here seen the animated movie from 1981, Heavy Metal? Jeez, it's the first thing I thought of when I saw the pictures.....

Part of the intro....

The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

cmangle (09-02-18),mandc (09-02-18),Uncle Fester (09-02-18)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 3,031 Times in 777 Posts

Last edited by cmangle; 09-02-18 at 10:01 PM.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Has NO ONE here seen the animated movie from 1981, Heavy Metal? Jeez, it's the first thing I thought of when I saw the pictures.....

Part of the intro....

I watched that movie(on video) in the 80's probably 20 times, together with my 'heavy metal' band.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

cmangle (10-02-18),enf (10-02-18)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

The Starman already passed Mars & on the way to the asteroid belt, fark that was quick
    You miss read that although I would blame bad journalism for that error.

Further down they correctly mentioned:
    The car isn't there yet, though, and won't be for many months, at least.
    Not even Elon Musk has an engine that can reach Mars in a few days and I highly doubt he can ever build one with today's technology.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

cmangle (10-02-18),DB44 (10-02-18),enf (10-02-18),mandc (09-02-18),Tiny (10-02-18)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    You miss read that although I would blame bad journalism for that error.

Further down they correctly mentioned:

Not even Elon Musk has an engine that can reach Mars in a few days and I highly doubt he can ever build one with today's technology.
    yeah that makes more sense.

It was actually Elon Musks own statement on twitter that baffled me, "Third burn successful. Exceeded Mars orbit and kept going to the Asteroid Belt."

Cheers, Tiny

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

cmangle (10-02-18),enf (10-02-18)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,077 Times in 3,348 Posts

Could well be "techspeak" by those in control that means that the burn will now let them pass Mars orbit and head off to wherever it's pointed. Like any other industry, the Jargon keeps the average punter in the dark, either intentionally, or not.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

cmangle (10-02-18)

Premium Member

Thanks

I couldnt work that comment out either about it 'passing Mars' when its takes 3 plus days to reach the Moon and I thought 6 MONTHS to reach Mars by using the shortest path.
    The fact that it takes weeks to prepare for launch, not deciding one Friday Afternoon over a few Olive loaded cocktails to build and launch a new untried craft with returnable Boosters, one to land on a Drone ship at Sea and as a bit of Fun, let's load a Battery car with a Manikin in a Space Suit at the wheel !!!!!

While I have no doubt about the car being launched, this is an insult to my intelligence to swallow this story as its being reported.

Another comment was about 'If they could work out a way to stop it to enter Mar's Orbit' ? That has been achieved numerous times with the landings of the Robotic Mar's I thought.

I am sure there would have been some agency willing to supply a suitable payload despite this being a new generation rocket as no launching's are without considerable risk.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Another comment was about 'If they could work out a way to stop it to enter Mar's Orbit' ? That has been achieved numerous times with the landings of the Robotic Mar's I thought.
    Achieved yes, but not reliably at all... there have been numerous $billion+ failures. Probably more than successes, although don't take THAT as read as I haven't checked.

I am sure there would have been some agency willing to supply a suitable payload despite this being a new generation rocket as no launching's are without considerable risk.
    I seriously doubt it.....no corporation would risk it, and government payloads are insured with private insurers so I can't see THAT happening either.

I have no problem with Musk doing something that is just plain 'cool'.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

cmangle (10-02-18),lsemmens (11-02-18)

Thanks

I kind of agree with you Gordon, although I also understand the fun side because that sells well. To be successful you need publicity.
    However if you can actually achieve something, that sells well also.

His big goal is colonisation of Mars, now what sells better than that?
    He could have aimed better at Mars(have some extra fuel to slow it down and enter orbit) and drop load a ton of well packed solar panels instead of the car. Not a big loss if he misses (PV panels are a lot cheaper than that Tesla these days) and even a miss or hard crash would have been really useful information for the next drop load to become a success.

I am sure I don't need to explain the huge benefit of finding a bunch of panels next to a known water resource one day when you want to colonize a planet

Premium Member

Thanks

From memory there have been at least 4 Mar's Rovers LANDED on Mars along with a couple of satellites sent into crash one on Venus I think Saturn?
    All of which had to be slowed down to enter that planets orbit and the Mar's Rovers even more so to be able to land.

As for risking payloads, who remembers the launch of Optus's B3 satellite using a flight proven Chinese Long March Rocket that unfortunately had barely got into its stride when it went 'POOOOF'......
    Sadly the one launching the Space Shuttle had a seal failure and the crew died, nothing is guaranteed in this world of ours.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

cmangle (10-02-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

From memory there have been at least 4 Mar's Rovers LANDED on Mars along with a couple of satellites sent into crash one on Venus I think Saturn?
    All of which had to be slowed down to enter that planets orbit and the Mar's Rovers even more so to be able to land.

As for risking payloads, who remembers the launch of Optus's B3 satellite using a flight proven Chinese Long March Rocket that unfortunately had barely got into its stride when it went 'POOOOF'......
    Sadly the one launching the Space Shuttle had a seal failure and the crew died, nothing is guaranteed in this world of ours.
    No, nothing is guaranteed. But to take risks using unproven technology rather than something that has demonstrated some proven reliability, particularly at liftoff, is just plain dumb. Why would any corporation take that risk. Anyway, it's his money and he can do what he wants with it....he clearly has a step by step plan and knows where he is going with it.

I have no problem with it at all.

Oh, Mars missions with all their preparation and expertise have a 52.4% failure rate so far....

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (11-02-18),william10 (11-02-18)

Thanks

This is real technology testing & way better than the stupid Kiwi that launched a giant disco ball into Earth's orbit...
    Well at least the Kiwi's can launch stuff

And what's wrong with disco?

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tab Number 3 For This Useful Post:

cmangle (12-02-18)