Thread: Assange Cops A Legal Spray

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,965 Times in 9,060 Posts

Default Assange Cops A Legal Spray

Pretty damning, regardless of how you feel about him....

The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (14-02-18)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I certainly dont know all of the details involved in this case nor the 'Rights and Wrongs' of the publication of 'classified' documents but I would feel very vulnerable in being deported and prosecuted in the USA.
    Assange may be totally out of his tree and certifiably paranoid in this regard but we dont know what he heard or was told back when all this started which has led him to where he is today.
    I dont think its unfair to assume that the USA was not overly pleased to have made public all the Intel gathered legally or not, placed into the Public arena and to expect them NOT to seek retribution is ludicrous.
    I can see where the Judge based her opinion regarding the threat of Assange being deported by Sweden to the USA to face a Trial as 'Unproven' (my words) as there is no evidence to support the claim.
    As for calling him a Coward because he has taken the action he has depends on your point of view.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (15-02-18),enf (14-02-18),Mr 672A (15-02-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

I'm not sure why he hasn't just done the runner. Surely it would not take a lot effort to sneak out of the building and then get to a nearby aerodrome or port and get on a boat.
    Hiring a private jet and getting his arse to somewhere ..err neutral.

I'm not sure what to make of it. Normally I would trust the judge's assessment of the situation, so I'm guessing the truth is that Julian is just paranoid.
    Not fronting the court. There is clear very clear reason for that. Julian thinks he'll get grabbed. If he is correct, then his fears are real.

The flip side is that Julian has lost his marbles. He is clearly suffering from some kind of delusion and is not mentally able to attend the court. If he had agoraphobia, then the court would take that into account, not ridicule it.

Of course the last option is that we assume Julian is guilty. Ah, but the presumption of innocence forbids us from doing that.

So... we're back to .... Julian's fears are real or they are not. His fear is that the USA will extradite him on unrelated charges.
    The judge says this is not the case. That is fair enough, we can assume that is correct.
    But we must also assume that it might be the case, that is not beyond reasonable doubt.
    If Sweeden gave an assurance that they would not extradite him to the USA, and then the UK would also not do the same, nor would they allow any other third party to act as an agent of the USA.
    The problem comes when the USA lodges a new valid claim, do they then hand him over under 'new' circumstances?

It all seems to go around and round in legal circles.

It all seems to boil down to.... "Do you trust the American government?"
    I'm trying not to laugh.... I want to say yes, but one of the voices in my head (in the back row) is screaming out ..."noooooooooooo!"

If I was Julian, I'd be making it clear that I want to go to Sweeden to "legally and safely face the charges against me".
    Does the USA have any charges against Julian? I'd clarify that with the USA using a public forum like the media.

I'd also seek a meeting with Sweeden. If I face the charges and I am found guilty, I will serve me sentence and be deported to Australia. If I am innocent, I will also be deported to Australia.
    If the USA seeks my extradition, they can only do so from Australia.

That seems like the logical play and best outcome for everybody. Assange faces the music fairly and without fear or obstruction. He serves a sentence if required and then deported to his own country.
    This doesn't prevent the USA from making a grab, but it doesn't let them kidnap him either.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

The judge needs to be sacked IMHO, totally unprofessional conduct, but maybe thats what was wanted to ensure a successful appeal ?

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I'm neither for, or against, Julian Assange's concerns. The problem being, if thater are treaties between certain countries, then they are obligated o honour such treaties. Regardless of if Sweden commits to Julian that they won't send him on to America, the chances are, that if America so asks (with legal reason) then they must send him on. Maybe Julian could transfer to the Ecuadorian embassy in Sweden via diplomatic bag (if he is worried about being snatched on the way to the airport) and have his case heard there.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,965 Times in 9,060 Posts

He should attend court like everyone else has to. By avoiding it he gets no sympathy from me.

I like this judge, she speaks her mind. But there is an appeal process I assume, so I suppose we'll wait for that.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.