Thread: Suggest good area to stay in Barcelona

Thanks

Default Suggest good area to stay in Barcelona

Hi travellers.
    I am looking for a suggestion which area in Barcelona is better to stay for 3 nights.
    I would love to be close to historical places of interest etc as I will have no car so easy access to public transport is very important. Also, I would be looking for area not heavily populated with new wave of refugees (if such area still exists anywhere in Europe).
    Appreciate any hints as well.

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

Ive been there a few times , let me see if i find the hotel address i stayed at . As you say there are many parts of Barcelona you should avoid it can get pretty rough at night so dont go out unless you have to.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

TripAdviser would be a great place to ask
    (if you haven't already)

Been of great benefit for me for local advise, organising drivers, getting WhatsApp numbers all before you leave
    Last edited by ol' boy; 15-02-18 at 08:27 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks

ok , when ive been there for work they put me up at the Ayre Hotel Caspe , in one of the nicer parts of town ( if that even exists in Barcelona ) . the bus station is close by and eateries are everywhere . be aware that barcelona like other euro cities is expensive , over rated , dirty , has numerous pickpockets.

• The Following User Says Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

fromaron (15-02-18)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

You could always ask certain Senior Officers of NSW State rail what their experiences are as I believe they have been there three times regarding the Light Rail being built in Sydney.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

I would suggest with my Sis and Bro in law, but don't think that would go over too well
    Must do's. scenic bus trip 1 and 2, and walk the old part of the city, citadel and there is also
    the extra ordinary Catalonian architect deceased? who's cathedral is still under construction well after 100 years, beautiful city if you find the right parts, pity the locals who think they are superior to the rest of Spain
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

• The Following User Says Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

fromaron (15-02-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    ok , when ive been there for work they put me up at the Ayre Hotel Caspe ,
    That is a great suggestion VroomVroom. I intend to book a room in the place in a few days once I sort my tickets out.
    It seems like the best option and in the right spot. Appreciate your tip.

• The Following User Says Thank You to fromaron For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (16-02-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    I would suggest with my Sis and Bro in law, but don't think that would go over too well
    Must do's. scenic bus trip 1 and 2, and walk the old part of the city, citadel and there is also
    the extra ordinary Catalonian architect deceased? who's cathedral is still under construction well after 100 years, beautiful city if you find the right parts, pity the locals who think they are superior to the rest of Spain
    It sounds good. It went to my "To Do" list. Except maybe your in laws .

Thanks

I only stayed there cos work was paying for it , i wouldnt dream of anything that expensive normally. The one time i went alone ( and I was paying ) i stayed at the Graffiti hostel , close to the Catalonia Plaza. luckily it was only one night as i was able to sponge a couple of nights from a work colleague.
    There are loads of hostels , some are walk ins , some are pre booked . All are expensive , most have low standards , most dont have lifts , some will be near the Metro stations.

as others have suggested , do the hop on hop off buses ( about $40 euro from memory ) , do the citadel , the olympic stadium , maritime museum , walk the La Rambla market , do the cable car gondola ride - the long one , the short one is crap..
    be aware of pickpockets ALL the time . common trick is for some attractive woman to chat you up or bump into you while an accomplice takes your stuff , then passes said stuff to a third party walking the other direction. cops dont give a toss either. African reffo scum are everywhere too.

fromaron (16-02-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    common trick is for some attractive woman to chat you up or bump into you while an accomplice takes your stuff , then passes said stuff to a third party walking the other direction. cops dont give a toss either. African reffo scum are everywhere too.
    I love it. I will make sure my misses walks at least 10 metres behind me

On a serious note, I like the hotel you tipped me about. I checked airbnb and they are overpriced. Was staying in Paris last winter in airbnb which looked like a reasonable price compare to hotels. What a sh$$t hole that was!.... never again. For the sake of keeping peace in my family I am happy to fork out few extra bucks.
    Last edited by fromaron; 17-02-18 at 08:57 AM.

Thanks

yep Airbnb can be hit or miss , and its usually a miss. Many first time travellers think that Europe has higher standards than Oz , but its the other way around. Dingy , filthy , mouldy rooms are common , people allow thier pets inside and some accomodation providers wouldnt know what a vacuum cleaner is.
    Personally with the $ exchange rate the way it is i'm not fussed about going to any EU countries its a ripoff for what you are getting.

I forgot to add - while in Barcelona take a trip the Sagrada Famila ( unfinished church ) , just to say you have been there. you need to be a block away to get any decent photos. again watch the pickpockets . Some of the Gaudi buldings are ok if you like crumbling unmaintained fake facades. If you happen to go to the polluted pebble quarry they call a beach , Never , ever leave your stuff unattended and dont trust others when they say they will mind it for you. Its illegal for the reffos to be selling trashy trinkets to tourists but dont bother buying from them go to one of the markets in the old quarter.
    if eating out go to a well lit place with some english choices on the menu . Avoid the little side alleys and the places below street level. I visit the Hard Rock cafe or Starbucks / Maccas usually , because they have standards

fromaron (17-02-18)

Thanks

i should add also - take an old smartphone and grab one of those high data package sim cards for the length of time you will be in Barcelona ( or any other foriegn city for that matter ). then use Google maps and directions extensively for street navigation and ensuring you get off at the right bus stop etc. If for some reason i cant score a data sim then i use wifi finder an walk around apartment blocks and restaurants looking for open wifi routers