Thread: Tropical Cyclone for NSW

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Default Tropical Cyclone for NSW

Anybody on the NSW coast will enjoy this one.
    I've been watching it for a few days expecting it to slam into the gold coast, but it has been slowly heading for the NSW south coast and is now picking up some pace.

It passed by Norfolk Island yesterday and is going to give Lord Howe island a floggin today.

Normally a tropical cyclone like this would run out of fuel (hot water) by the time it got to 30 degrees south.
    But I'm making a special exception for this monster because there is a nice solid supply of +28deg water feeding down the NSW coast to Newcastle.

If this cyclone makes it to the coast anywhere north of Sydney it's going to smash everything on land south of where it crosses.
    What will be really exciting is if it becomes stationary north of Port Macquaire. They'll need to move the high tide mark from Stockton back to Muswellbrook.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

gulliver (20-02-18)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

At the moment its overcast with little wind so I expect this to be the 'Southern' tip of the front.
    Nature is responding to the storm pressure variations with the little black ants that share my yard are moving in dense streams foraging for food.
    What I have noticed when 'Fronts' flow down the Coast is they sit on and follow the Mountains South dropping rain here there and everywhere which at the moment would be very appreciated.
    As a further conformation, my Wife saw 3 Black Cockatoo's wheeling about the Village screeching and squawking which usually means rain is about.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

gulliver (20-02-18)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Never underestimate the columns of foraging ants nor the wheeling, screeching Black Cockatoo's as the sky darkened, the Thunder began to grumble along with flashes of lightning for it to begin raining steadily.
    We lost the power a few times for very brief periods as the rain reduced to a nice gentle fall for the next half hour.
    Looks like its all gone now but it was nice while it lasted.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    Anybody on the NSW coast will enjoy this one.
    I've been watching it for a few days expecting it to slam into the gold coast, but it has been slowly heading for the NSW south coast and is now picking up some pace.

If this cyclone makes it to the coast anywhere north of Sydney it's going to smash everything on land south of where it crosses.
    What will be really exciting is if it becomes stationary north of Port Macquaire. They'll need to move the high tide mark from Stockton back to Muswellbrook.
    If you click on the other days on your windy link you will see that it is heading to NZ and will disperse there.

No probs for us, just a bit of wind, much needed rain and some nice surf.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

Yep, it's back and forth between SE/SW.
    Currently it's heading for Wellington. Which makes me laugh, because a normal day in Wellington is windier than a Cat2 cyclone.

The computer models are usually correct. I like to try and guess when they are wrong, so it's worth trying to stick my neck out and make a guess that doesn't agree with the computer.

It's like my 2012 prediction of Eta Carinae.
    With all the end of the world bullshit, I took a long shot and took a punt on a supernova. Chances were good, nothing would happen, but I had that long shot chance where I could be god for a day if it did. And everybody would remember I predicted it when of course I took a dumb arse guess that paid off.
    Reality is, nothing happened and nobody remembers I took the punt on it

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

DB44 (20-02-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

We got a shipload of rain here this morning in Port Stephens. Bit of wind about, but nothing spectacular.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

What about the system headed for Adelaide
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Isn't that system a bit like the Tsunami that was going to wipe out Adelaide in the '70s. At least we might get a bit of rain out of this.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

@trash. Keep it up mate. You know the old saying. Even a stopped clock ......

Thanks

hehehe.
    Yeah - Somebody tried to pin that front on me Bob saying we had a shitload of rain like you said we would trash.
    "Nooooo. That was just a shitty southerly buster. The real storm system went to Wellington. Like they needed more wind."

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

cmangle (21-02-18),Tiny (21-02-18)

Thanks

Wellington is the only place I know where it is not unusual to crash land a large ferry/ship on the runway at the airport.