Thread: Want to live on Mars?

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

Default Want to live on Mars?

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Look Here ->
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,066 Times in 9,091 Posts

I don't think it does. It may be a start I suppose.

Putting your life on the line on an almost airless planet, using hardware that can't be replaced and being gazillions of miles from anyone else can have no peer in my view.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (25-02-18),Keith (26-02-18)

Thanks

Everything is different on Mars...

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

These 'exercises' have been conducted over the last couple of decades to try and establish what is needed for such an event but there is one thing they cannot emulate is the fact that they are still here on Earth !!!
    The steps to Colonisation are fairly straight forward, work out what is needed, send it there and then go there and 'Set up House', EASY PEASY !!!

The daunting problem that has to be faced and dealt with is that those who go over the next decade at least, wont came back !!

Then after an amount of time has passed it should be then possible to determine if those who have been on MARS long term, can ever return......
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 678 Posts

I'm always perplexed that they do these 'simulations' in hot places. They did one a few years ago in Arizona too I believe. Surely if you wanted to test out equipment etc. for Mars, wouldn't a closer environment be Antarctica?

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Onefella For This Useful Post:

enf (25-02-18),Learjet (01-03-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

NASA has one on Devon Island, North of Alaska. It's called Flashline. I assume it's still there.

There's still a lot of air handy though....I don't think there's any way that the psychological stresses can be adequately addressed. That will be the elephant in the room.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Onefella (25-02-18)

LSemmens
    Thanks

They tried the one way trip thing some years back. They sent a heap of people to some foreign planet and they had to fend for themselves because the only communication with home was months away. I think they called the place "Australia"

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

gulliver (01-03-18),Learjet (01-03-18)

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    They tried the one way trip thing some years back. They sent a heap of people to some foreign planet and they had to fend for themselves because the only communication with home was months away. I think they called the place "Australia"
    Right old mess they made of that, didnt they?

So let's hope when they get there, as soon as they make 'First Contact' the L.I.P (Local Indigenous People) they set up a settlement agreement so there wont be any arguments in 200 years time from the L.I.P that they were never consulted about them living here.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    A lot more resources in Australia than Mars. But, I'm glad they did as I'm here and still happy despite the self flagellation of the guilt brigade and it's industry's attempts to put the worst spin on everything and convince us all to self hate like they do.

THEY are the ones with the REAL psychotic issues IMO, so as much as I would love to be rid of them, don't send THEM to Mars.

Premium Member

Thanks

I think one of the reasons their using deserts and places like Australia is because Visually, thats what MARS looks like.
    Although it has freezing temperatures, with almost no moisture in the atmosphere it has no snow, only very heavy frosts to contend with.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 678 Posts

I don't think the psychology of being isolated will be that much of a factor. The pioneers will have been thoroughly vetted psychologically and will have reasonable comms back to earth. Plus the fact that they would be 'head-down, bum-up' working towards the very positive goal of setting up the first colony on Mars and not dying in the process. There would be many positive aspects that would keep morale up, the prospect of more people coming, the prospect of going back 'home' one day, and the constant attention from Earth as celebrities and 'heroes'.

Humans are a tenacious bunch, and can survive for years in restricted environments like submarines, oil-rigs, lighthouses, ships, space-stations, etc. I feel it's one of the least-significant factors in starting a colony on Mars.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Onefella For This Useful Post:

Tiny (25-02-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Onefella View Post
    I don't think the psychology of being isolated will be that much of a factor. The pioneers will have been thoroughly vetted psychologically and will have reasonable comms back to earth. Plus the fact that they would be 'head-down, bum-up' working towards the very positive goal of setting up the first colony on Mars and not dying in the process. There would be many positive aspects that would keep morale up, the prospect of more people coming, the prospect of going back 'home' one day, and the constant attention from Earth as celebrities and 'heroes'.

Humans are a tenacious bunch, and can survive for years in restricted environments like submarines, oil-rigs, lighthouses, ships, space-stations, etc. I feel it's one of the least-significant factors in starting a colony on Mars.
    Couldn't disagree more....NOBODY is out of touch for very long in any of those scenarios. Or out of reach for very long either. Several countries will need to be involved, and that's another problem unless you assume they will get their political shit together for the first time in our lifetime.

Psychological screening is all there is and is just the BEST that can be done. Once on the way nothing will be able to help them physically. If they are wrong about anyone at all then everyone could be in mortal jeopardy. Radiation, micro meteorites blah blah blah....the hazards are practically endless.

I'm not saying it can't be done at all, just that it won't be the science fiction adventure that many think. It will be really really hard every step of the way with the added stress of being on a knife edge all the time.

And that's not even mentioning the hardware reliability and redundancy that will need to be built in/traded off to make it work.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Onefella (25-02-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I think one of the reasons their using deserts and places like Australia is because Visually, thats what MARS looks like.
    Although it has freezing temperatures, with almost no moisture in the atmosphere it has no snow, only very heavy frosts to contend with.
    Went Gold Prospecting in Kalgoorlie.. Day time temps were perfect and even got a little hot. But when the sun was down it was freezing, we woke up to our Butane gas cylinders being frozen (so no coffee that morning)

• The Following User Says Thank You to cobra679 For This Useful Post:

enf (27-02-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,224 Times in 1,916 Posts

Maybe they should start with the moon first, and see how or even if they handle that, or is the moon off-limits because the “Aliens” told them so.
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Al Bundy For This Useful Post:

enf (27-02-18),gulliver (01-03-18),Tiny (28-02-18)

LSemmens
    Thanks

Nah! They can't do the moon, the "settlers" might find that there is NO evidence of any Apollo modules there.