Thread: Best option

Thanks

Default Best option

Work place broken into over the last weekend. Didn’t lose much but the damaged to the building doors and window was considerable. Turns out the GPRS monitoring company did not monitor the place since 2G was phased out in August. We decided to keep old DAS system in place for internal and install 4 IP Cameras outside which massage your mobile when motion is detected. Then you can loge and see the bad people.

Options:

1. 4 x 4MP cameras, cat 5/6 wired to DVR which reports motions to mobile and can view online. Downside: As happened in the passed the burglars cut the phone lines after which we changed to the now defunct GPRS.

2. Self contained camera which has it’s own SD memory card and also a 3G sim card seems the easy way to go.

Heard nowadays burglars ware a bright miners torch on their forehead which blinds the camera. Is there a camera which is immune to this ?

After the simplest solution. Any advise input appreciated

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by B52 View Post
    Turns out the GPRS monitoring company did not monitor the place since 2G was phased out in August.
    Wow.

Heard nowadays burglars ware a bright miners torch on their forehead which blinds the camera. Is there a camera which is immune to this ?
    I am not aware of this and don't really see the point. Cameras can be trivially defeated by a hoodie so the additional light simply makes them a target. Remember, cameras can show you how a crime occurs. They can't prevent it (and I'm not aware of any current cameras that can climb down off a pole and arrest someone). That's why detection and delay tactics are important.

• The Following User Says Thank You to downunderdan For This Useful Post:

tristen (01-03-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by downunderdan View Post
    I am not aware of this and don't really see the point. Cameras can be trivially defeated by a hoodie so the additional light simply makes them a target. Remember, cameras can show you how a crime occurs. They can't prevent it (and I'm not aware of any current cameras that can climb down off a pole and arrest someone). That's why detection and delay tactics are important.
    Thanks for the technical advice.

Once alerted on your phone of a motion detected by the externally mounted camera you immediately loge into the camera and see what is going on then call police before they smash up into the place.

Internal alarm sensors, monitored or otherwise are useless because they activated when the burglars have smashed up your door or windows and from the moment the sirens goes they know they got 5 minutes to take what ever they can and get out before police or security patrol arrives.

Any comments about self contained camera - ver - DVR setup appreciated.
    Last edited by B52; 01-03-18 at 01:09 PM.

Thanks

Good luck with the police responding to you calling them

It sounds like you are trying to get the cameras to replace the purpose of a security system.

If you are serious about security engage a consultant who will design a system that will actually detect them before breaking in and with video verification you have more chance of the police attending.

The police will have more of a response from a control room then you calling them

One of our sites in Perth had a police response to a monitored alarm in a few minutes and this was without video verification.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xr5adam For This Useful Post:

downunderdan (02-03-18),tristen (01-03-18)

Thanks

If you are going to look at every video movement detected on outside cameras I hope you have a lot of spare time.

If the sensitivity is set low you won't get anything and with it set high you will get every bug that flies past or every branch that moves in the breeze etc

And just because 'somebody" is outside your building will that warrant a police response???
    Last edited by Andrewpv01; 02-03-18 at 05:47 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Andrewpv01 For This Useful Post:

downunderdan (02-03-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by B52 View Post
    Thanks for the technical advice.
    Technology is only ever a portion of the solution to a risk management issue and it fails or is defeated frequently. As I said, all the cameras in the world will not prevent crime. They are a forensic tool only (with the exception being live monitoring by an on site responder which clearly isn't viable here).

Your sneer is quite out of line.

My advice is frequently billed at several thousand dollars a day. I am locally and internationally recognised for my security expertise. Of course what the hell would I know, right?

Heavens knows why but I occasionally log in here for giggles and to help people out. This included sending you a private message to which you've not had the courtesy of replying. I've been an expert witness for the courts in several such cases as yours and was more than happy to help however my offer of assistance is now retracted.

Perhaps you should slink back to the Satellite TV forum and associate with other like minded people who can offer you "technical advice" on how to get it wrong, rather than expecting and then ignoring free advice from people here who know a lot more than you on how to get it right.

Or perhaps you can simply lock the basement door.

I won't even comment on "4 IP Cameras outside which massage your mobile when motion is detected" which will be the only happy ending here.

Good luck. It will end in tears, again.
    Last edited by downunderdan; 02-03-18 at 09:20 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to downunderdan For This Useful Post:

tristen (02-03-18)

Thanks

Was hoping get an honest advice but its quite obvious you have a commercial agenda here.

Thanks

How is it an agenda? His advice is based on experience and experience can not be bought or read online.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xr5adam View Post
    How is it an agenda? His advice is based on experience and experience can not be bought or read online.
    Some was advice, the rest was just insults.

Keep it on topic please.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

B52 (02-03-18)