Thread: Why should it be so hard?

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

Default Why should it be so hard?

I just wasted a day doing what should have been a 5 minute job. Installing a light bar on the front of my Hyundai i45. It took me half that time trying to find a way through the firewall to run one wire. It then took almost as long again to determine which wire in the headlight harness was the hi-beam. I never did find that one. In the end I made a neat hole in the headlight assy and picked up the wire on the back of the globe. Mounting the light was another "interesting" job as there was nothing really solid to mount it to. In the end I modified a stainless bracket son got off a Falcon and screwed it in behind the number plate. I was going to mount it below the number plate, but, the service manual gave little instruction as to HOW the bumper was affixed. I undid all the screws and the thing did not move hence the bracket. Currently it's only held on using the self tappers that hold the number plate on. Gonna have to fix that someday soon. At least it's on and working.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

its hard to modify the newer cars mate, and sometimes any mods you make gives the manufacturer or insurer an excuse to bail out of a claim.
    In a case like yours the number plate bracket would be the best option , maybe with a smaller support bracket fed through the grille somewhere to reduce lights vibrating. Its probably Canbus control so you cant use the headlight switch , so best option is to pick it up at the dash high beam feed or at the headlight itself. If lights are negative switched use a relay to trigger the new driving lights.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

eaglem (14-03-18),lsemmens (14-03-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

What I've found is some manufacturers are now using lamp assemblies that house everything (headlamps, parkers, turn indicators etc) and one that stumped me for a while that had just a single headlamp, achieving the hi/lo beam switching via a solenoid operated shutter within the lamp housing (means low beam is adequate but high beam very disappointing because there's no extra light output). Couple that with the lack of mounting locations unless a bullbar is fitted and it turns into an expensive adventure in order to improve the lighting.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Skepticist For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (14-03-18)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

I agree with all of the above. The light bar was because the standard Halogen lighting is Abysmal and I live "out bush" so do a lot of travelling in this bus at night. I did come across a youtube of a bloke modifying the headlights to insert HID globes but that looked to be even more trouble than my solution.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    I just wasted a day doing what should have been a 5 minute job. Installing a light bar on the front of my Hyundai i45. It took me half that time trying to find a way through the firewall to run one wire. It then took almost as long again to determine which wire in the headlight harness was the hi-beam. I never did find that one. In the end I made a neat hole in the headlight assy and picked up the wire on the back of the globe. Mounting the light was another "interesting" job as there was nothing really solid to mount it to. In the end I modified a stainless bracket son got off a Falcon and screwed it in behind the number plate. I was going to mount it below the number plate, but, the service manual gave little instruction as to HOW the bumper was affixed. I undid all the screws and the thing did not move hence the bracket. Currently it's only held on using the self tappers that hold the number plate on. Gonna have to fix that someday soon. At least it's on and working.
    Lots of YouTube Videos show people mounting all kinds of gear in a timely fashion
    BUT.... They generally leave out a lot of steps and somehow have a custom bracket just ready to bolt on to make the job easy.

I wouldn't feel to bad mate
    I've so far spent 3 weeks fitting a DC-DC Charger in my Landcruiser.
    By the time you move other equipment neatly
    Rewire things correctly
    Build a full custom heat shield for an AGM Battery to keep it under 50 degrees C
    Mount the Charger so it looks factory not just some back yard job
    Get all the correct crimps links, plumb wiring in factory harness
    Make custom Alloy brackets etc.

Doing a good job is hard and time consuming.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

dont go HIDs in main headlights , aftermarket units are not very reliable long term and will let you down at the worst moment. If you have to go that way , keep a spare lamp and ballast in the boot.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Beware of those aftermarket lights etc for those in NSW as they may not be approved and could get your vehicle defected.
    One report claimed a person either fitted LED's to their Door mirrors or changed them from white to Yellow and got a defect notice, a fine and loss of points because they were not 'Original Equipment' to that vehicle.
    Its not often but when they feel like doing a blitz or its been a poor speeding fines week, they have fined those with those dual type headlight which are legal in other States but not in NSW.
    This 'Original Equipment' legislation was aimed at the 'Boy Racer' brigade to stop them hotting up their Kia Rio's etc but they realised there was money just waiting to be claimed so they applied it to Radiator and Petrol caps, Radio antenna's and anything else they could find that had been replaced over the life of the car.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!