Thread: 3G switchoff timetable ??

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default 3G switchoff timetable ??

All of a sudden I am chasing phones which I have both avoided and ignored since they closed down the CDMA system.
    Yesterday my dear old faithful ZTE bought to replace the Bag Phone has either got a dead battery or the charger is dead, but its only 3G which means it has to go eventually whether I like it or not.
    My Wife was the main user of the ZTE because she likes the keypad which 'SMART' phones dont have but she had little problem using the Samsung J1 bought recently.
    Due to some health problems I am experiencing, she likes to keep in touch with me as I am staying home when She is out doing all the everyday things we used to do together hence the need for a Mobile for her.
    She showed me a phone in a magazine with a keypad she thought might suit her until I read the specs and its 3G only which would be a waste of of good money buying if the system is shutting down even if its more than a year away.
    I bought the Samsung j1 partly to try it out and if it suited us both, buy another or similar for her to use.
    Has Telstra given any firm timetable to close down the 3G network or just 'BY XXX' ??
    Telstra is NOT my carrier by choice but neither Optus or Vodafone work in the house and are not much better outside.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Last I heard was 2020 being the earliest Telstra 3G (NextG) shutdown.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (16-03-18)

Thanks

2020 supposedly but expert Trevor Long says 5 years. Important to realise 4gx is data not voice. Until volte is enabled x oz 3. & 31/2g will stay

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Mix For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (16-03-18)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mix View Post
    2020 supposedly but expert Trevor Long says 5 years. Important to realise 4gx is data not voice. Until volte is enabled x oz 3. & 31/2g will stay
    VoLTE has been enabled in Oz,
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (16-03-18)

Premium Member

Thanks

Being a lousy (as in spending) bastard, 2020 is too short a time to buy a 3G only phone and get what I perceive is value for cost of the handset even when sold at under a $150,
    The replacement for the ZTE if it has died doesnt have to happen 'Yesterday' so I will take my time in choosing.

Thanks everyone for the info.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Volte not here where I am yet in WA. 4GX HAS lousy reach anyway. Calls go to 3g. Saw 3g phone from Telstra selling $99 Betta Elect has keyboard and ext ant Conn! Ext ant makes all the difference more than 5 k from tower.Phone named Tough 4.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mix View Post
    Volte not here where I am yet in WA. 4GX HAS lousy reach anyway. Calls go to 3g. Saw 3g phone from Telstra selling $99 Betta Elect has keyboard and ext ant Conn! Ext ant makes all the difference more than 5 k from tower.Phone named Tough 4.
    well you're better of than I am, I have no mobile reception at all where I live. have to drive 10km if I want to use my mobile, so I still have an expensive landline.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Thanks

It's very hard to find a 4g non touch mobile. I got my mum an Aspera f24 mobile and she is very happy with it and yes it's only a 3g mobile. Australia post has them on special now for $79.

Thanks

alot of places here in WA 4G doesn't work go 2 k's out of town and if you rely on 4G drops off dramatically and then fades out and in constantly

hopefully if they intend to shut down the 3G, then 4G will be better coverage

Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 573 Posts

Default 3G switchoff timetable ??

Telstra sell a standard keypad phone they call the ‘Flip 2’ which is a 4G phone and covers all Telstra 3G and 4G bands. The downside is it is a flip phone, which may not be your thing.

It’s known elsewhere as the ZTE T21. Details here:

Edit: here is the link for Telstra. $119.
    Last edited by peteramjet; 17-03-18 at 10:08 AM.

Premium Member

Thanks

My one and only experience with a Telstra 'Flip Phone' was not favourable.
    A friend bought one just as they were closing the CDMA band and it was sold with all the hoopla of being 'Region' available with the 'Blue Tick'.
    Two words describe it fully 'BLOODY USELESS.
    We sat in my kitchen on either side of the table and I rang the Land line with the ZTE and it rang, tried his and NOTHING. when he tried to ring both my Mobile or my landline.
    I tried to ring his mobile and got the 'Out of Range/out of service message'.
    However, as he walked outside to leave, up came the notice of a 'Missed Call'.
    Apart from the problems Flip phones may experience with the hinge if not handled correctly, I have had nothing to do with them since.

Thanks

Pre smart phone days I used to love the flip phones. Nothing more satisfying than having the ability to flip the phone closed to end an unwanted call, in a similar way that one would slam down a phone receiver on a fixed line.

Can’t comment on the quality of the Telstra (ZTE) phones, haven’t used those. But there are not many tactile phones out there that cover the 3G and 4G bands needed if using the Telstra network.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Yeah & don't forget that just because the phone does 4G & or 4GX; unless it has VoLTE capability, voice calling will rely on the 3G network, so the 4G & 4GX is used for data only on cheaper & older phones. Many of us are going to need new phones when the 3G gets turned off.
    Not all phones being sold ATM are VoLTE capable.
    Check the list,
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Yeah & don't forget that just because the phone does 4G & or 4GX; unless it has VoLTE capability, voice calling will rely on the 3G network, so the 4G & 4GX is used for data only on cheaper & older phones.
    A very good point. The Flip 2 I posted above does not have VoLTE.