Thread: $5 cost added to imported items

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default $5 cost added to imported items

Its been suggested that a $5 fee be added to all items being imported for exactly what reason I am not sure.
    This is separate to adding the GST to items valued at under a $1000 that are currently GST free in the next few months.
    I believe the US Post Office added a fee to cover inspection costs either in, out or both after they introduced the 'Home land Security' program in the United States and its one of the reasons postage/freight from the USA is now quite substantial.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

mkhannah (24-03-18),OSIRUS (29-03-18)

Look Here ->
    Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Its been suggested that a $5 fee be added to all items being imported for exactly what reason I am not sure.
    This is separate to adding the GST to items valued at under a $1000 that are currently GST free in the next few months.
    I believe the US Post Office added a fee to cover inspection costs either in, out or both after they introduced the 'Home land Security' program in the United States and its one of the reasons postage/freight from the USA is now quite substantial.
    Well say goodby to the $1 (and free postage) orders from China on Ebay, a 500% increase for the item, surely it does not cost border security that much to scan it.
    Basically this and the 10%GST can be seen as a tarif on imported items but unlike when Trump farts against the wind, nothing happens here.

Mr Norman lobbied hard enough and got his way with the GST, now this $5 which will only hurt those who have little and found the only goods they could afford on Ebay from China.
    Handling of the fee will be obviusly managed by Paypal/Ebay/Amazon/Aliexpress, etc so not any significant cost for the goverment, just pure more money grabs.
    Will this help local retailers? Not much, many items ordered from overseas are not available in Australia, well that goes for me anyhow.
    If I find an item locally I usually bought it here if it is not too much more expensive, yeah the $5 might make a bit of a difference, the 10% was already included in the local item.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 23-03-18 at 11:51 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member

Thanks

How does this help the local retailers. We don't make or grow anything in Australia anymore. If we grow it here it is all exported.
    Then cheap shit produce from all the worlds dump markets are brought here for us to enjoy at extremely high prices.
    Try buying oranges or other citrus at Coles that are not imported from California. Apparently we don't know how to grow this stuff
    here anymore. So your local retailer imports everything they sell, so does it not follow that they will have to pay $5 fee on everything
    they import? Oh silly me the big end of town will be excepted as usual.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,066 Times in 9,091 Posts

I don't have a problem with this really...

I mean, given the state of the modern world, they are obliged to check the sh*t so I am prepared to pay.

I don't buy much from overseas anymore as I prefer to shop locally (in Aus)...and no, not at places like Hardly Normal, usually online at places that pay taxes and contribute. The prices are usually little different anyway IMO.

Anyone who thought that the good ol' days of importing oodles of stuff for free were going to just continue forever is dreaming IMO....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

This has FA to do with checking the items bought overseas, its just another grubby money grab, ordered by their paymasters, the retail traders association

• The Following User Says Thank You to alpha0ne For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (26-03-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,066 Times in 9,091 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alpha0ne View Post
    This has FA to do with checking the items bought overseas, its just another grubby money grab, ordered by their paymasters, the retail traders association
    Yep! Maybe.....got a link? Or is it just your opinion. BTW, my opinion of the RTA is the same as yours.

There's no way they can even approach competent scanning without a substantial increase in logistics.....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gamve View Post
    Try buying oranges or other citrus at Coles that are not imported from California. Apparently we don't know how to grow this stuff
    here anymore.
    That's just a seasonal thing, we're getting close to the start of the Oz citrus harvest here now but we import from the northern hemisphere in our off season. True that the supermarkets have done their best to kill the local growers' business and a lot of them have found it more rewarding to plough their orange groves into the ground to grow better cash crops instead.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 573 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alpha0ne View Post
    No doubt a money grab, but I see it as a money grab for the right reasons.

Any Australian seller needing to send small items by AusPost needs to pay about $8 for a small parcel. Overseas is significantly more.

Items imported from China cost the sender next to nothing in postage thanks to deals with China Post. Most of these items are dropped shipped then thrown in the regular post service, with not a dollar going towards AusPost or Australia and next to nothing being paid by the seller.

Why should an OS seller pay nothing to send something to Australia, when an Australian seller sending within Australia pays full price? This $5 fee will equal the playing field.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    No doubt a money grab, but I see it as a money grab for the right reasons.

Any Australian seller needing to send small items by AusPost needs to pay about $8 for a small parcel. Overseas is significantly more.

Items imported from China cost the sender next to nothing in postage thanks to deals with China Post. Most of these items are dropped shipped then thrown in the regular post service, with not a dollar going towards AusPost or Australia and next to nothing being paid by the seller.

Why should an OS seller pay nothing to send something to Australia, when an Australian seller sending within Australia pays full price? This $5 fee will equal the playing field.

As said above it is unlikely that local sellers will benefit from this because:
    1 - Items purchased overseas are often not available locally.
    2 - Items are purchased overseas because they become affordable for an increasing amount of those on a low budget. If they can't afford it, they won't buy it.
    3. - Those who can afford it don't care about having to pay the fee and will still order overseas and might still be cheaper ($5 fee opposed to $8 local postage)

If this fee would go towards cheaper shipping costs locally, then that would indeed level the playing field for the target group 2 and 3 but that would never happen.
    Pure money grab, nothing else.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 24-03-18 at 11:35 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Banned
    Thanks

Blame Jerry Harvey and stop shopping at Harvey Norman - he is the cause of all this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by garrycol View Post
    Blame Jerry Harvey and stop shopping at Harvey Norman - he is the cause of all this.
    Nope, he lobbied the 10%GST starting this 1.July.

This is about a fee from Border security to 'cover their costs' of screening everything from overseas.
    This is already covered by the tax payer and I doubt it will lead to a relief for the tax payer, it will most likely end up in somebodies pocket but maybe it will also finance more tighter means of screening.
    I am not aware if every item private people order is screened but I do know that only a small percentage of imported goods for business is screened due to the high cost and a lot of shit (drugs) can get through. Maybe it might be used to improve that, just an assumption, at least that would be what I would use it for.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 24-03-18 at 12:44 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 577 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Yep! Maybe.....got a link? Or is it just your opinion. ~
    As enf said, what is the source for all this "information"?

"It's been suggested" by who?

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    Nope, he lobbied the 10%GST starting this 1.July.
    well If Jerry hadn't did all the lobbying he did then this extra tax would not have been considered.

As I said - blame Jerry and Harvey Norman.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,474 Times in 1,534 Posts

Just another greedy tax

• The Following User Says Thank You to Rick For This Useful Post:

mkhannah (24-03-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    This is about a fee from Border security to 'cover their costs' of screening everything from overseas.
    This is already covered by the tax payer and I doubt it will lead to a relief for the tax payer, it will most likely end up in somebodies pocket but maybe it will also finance more tighter means of screening.
    I would prefer to have the border security fees incorporated into shipping cost. That will make things straight. All postage that requires border security check will need to be charged back to the shipping company with obvious shipment cost increase.

• The Following User Says Thank You to fromaron For This Useful Post:

enf (25-03-18)