Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Faster than light travel

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    What drugs have you been taking ?? You've been popping that smart pills haven't you Mobihci ?
    Either that or my braincells are starting to die off at an increasing rate.
    (I'll blame lead poisoning from too many solder fumes).

So we're still back where we started from. No faster than light travel.

I try not to think too much about neutrino masses, and their effect on the universe. Have a look at galactic masses and velocities nomeat. That's a good place to consider mystery masses on ordinary matter.
    I'm still waiting to see what the boffins have to say about dark matter in irregular galaxies and it's effect on the motion of the stars within. I suspect that's where the key clues will be found.
    no smart pills, most of my guesses are probably completely wrong, but anyway its always fun to toy with ideas.

this quantum transportation could prove to be able to convey information faster than light. this experiment is interesting-

"The quantum correlations of the transmitted photons with its partner are sufficiently high to violate Bell’s inequality and are also used to generate a quantum cryptographic key
    "

i dont know its results, its money walled, but similar test in the past have shown that two entangled particles will retain information when separated.

"Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon that Einstein famously dubbed "spooky action at a distance." In short, an entangled pair of photons have quantum properties that are linked to each other. If one photon's spin is up, the other must be down. So if you generate an entangled pair of photons and then separate them by any distance—from a few nanometers to thousands of light-years—you can collapse the wave function of one by detecting its spin direction and you'll know instantaneously the spin of its entangled partner. In such a scenario, the information about the spin of the entangled particle travels faster than light, which is a problem for quantum mechanics and is why Einstein didn't like entanglement.

Whether Einstein liked it or not, entanglement works, and researchers have actually built secure fiber-optic links using it. You can use entangled photon pairs to transmit securely a "one-time pad" that both parties can then use to secure all subsequent traffic between them. "

Thanks
    Thanked 3,228 Times in 1,451 Posts

I don't see a problem with the entangled information traveling faster than light since the entangled particles themselves cannot be transported faster than light. Which still obeys the cosmic speed limit.

I'm going to take a quantum entangled teleport ride to Rigel 3. Unfortunately I first have to send my package of entangled particles there buy conventional (sublight) starship. When they arrive in about 30 light years, I'll be able to step onto the teleport pad and instantly go there
    I'm actually sending twice as much as I need so that I can take an equal package of entangled particles with me so that I can get back instantly.... or.... can't I teleport, entangled particles ???
    In any case, I have to always send equal particles sublight.

I didn't think that you got a choice as to which of the entangled particles you inherited. So while I know what the other end has, it doesn't convey any useful information other than noise. If I can force my particle to a particular decay state, then I will effectively be forcing the entangled particle to the opposite state.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SCT View Post
    My understanding is that the speed of light in a vacuum is constant at 299,792,458 metres per second. It doesn't speed up or slow down due to the effects of gravity (although it can be bent as evidenced in an Einstein ring). Light can be slowed by passing it through different materials (water, glass, rubies etc) but its speed remains constant in that material irrespective of the effects of gravity.
    So it slows going through a block of glass or water in an aquarium but does it speed up when it comes out? If so how?
    Also what slows light . can you explain that further
    I'm still not seeing anything here that suggests why gravity would not slow light?
    My Health , my Family and my Property are not Government business. Governments should do what they were designed to do . Govern the issues that are best done by a central body in the country to protect it from foreign invasion.State Governments and Local Councils should be abolished to stop the duplication and waste of funds.

To defeat corruption in the public service , give them three times the penalty. Have them agree on hiring.

Thanks

It's not the gravitation field that slows light. Light still travels at the same speed.
    But the density of matter that light travels through is what slows it down.

There is a difference between these two things.
    Now I know nothing of how the higgs field works. This could be what is responsible for the interaction between matter giving it mass.
    So as a photon passes through a higgs field it picks up mass and conservation of momentum slows it down.
    As it exits the field, the conservation of momentum allows it to speed up again.

It's much the same thing as an ice skater spinning. As she draws her arms in the conservation of angular momentum speeds her up and the reverse when she extends her arms.
    She doesn't gain or lose any energy as such.

In the case of gravity it's much weirder.
    Light still travels at its relative speed, but gravity effects it with a vector acceleration while never changing its speed.
    Now this would seem to be a direct violation of the conservation of momentum mentioned above.
    The conservation of energy is still maintained. The photo's vector changes, not it's velocity. So as light crosses a gravity field it is bent proportionally to the field.
    As it descends or ascends the field it's frequency (and hence it's energy) changes maintaining the conservation of energy.

At no point does light or anything else exceed the speed of light.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,053 Times in 3,334 Posts

Of course you can travel faster than light! Gene Roddenberry proved it with Star Trek!

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Of course you can travel faster than light! Gene Roddenberry proved it with Star Trek!
    Faster than light travel is not ruled out, relativity really only disallows traveling AT the speed of light.
    Last edited by porkop; 02-05-13 at 09:31 PM.
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

Thanks

Imagine light travels from point A to point B located on one straight line - axis (100km distance). Light covers it in a certain time.
    The original question few years ago was what happens to the speed of light passing near a strong gravitational field. Really the speed doesn't change. What changes is the axis above (A-B) will bend around the field and new straight line between points A and B will be shorter. So light gets from A to B in less time.

Thanks

The speed doesn't change, the distance should be longer through the field than in a straight line in space.
    The time travelled should be longer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fromaron View Post
    Imagine light travels from point A to point B located on one straight line - axis (100km distance). Light covers it in a certain time.
    The original question few years ago was what happens to the speed of light passing near a strong gravitational field. Really the speed doesn't change. What changes is the axis above (A-B) will bend around the field and new straight line between points A and B will be shorter. So light gets from A to B in less time.
    No, you said the light is travelling the longer curve in your scenario
    My Health , my Family and my Property are not Government business. Governments should do what they were designed to do . Govern the issues that are best done by a central body in the country to protect it from foreign invasion.State Governments and Local Councils should be abolished to stop the duplication and waste of funds.

To defeat corruption in the public service , give them three times the penalty. Have them agree on hiring.

Thanks

To summarise the points of everyone here; photons travel at c, the speed of light. They always travel at this speed. Not velocity mind, but speed. They never speed up or slow down, and c never changes. And you know that equation, E=MC^2, well that essentially dictates that the closer you get to the speed of light, the more mass you have. At c, you have infinite mass. Only massless particles (such as photons) can travel at that speed, therefore.s

LSemmens
    Thanks

Actually, Energy = Mass x the Speed of Light, Squared, so, in fact, your mass does not alter, just the Energy required to accelerate said mass. Simple maths.

Thanks

Hmm but you are assuming Einstein was right and did not just guess at using a really big number. Whats a really big number? lets try the speed of light eh that'll confuse them.

If I could accellerate a bullet to light speed what do you think it would look like in size and how much time would pass for it to travell 300,000Kms?

I would suggest it will look the same as the original bullet and take 1 second to travel that distance . What do you think?

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tytower View Post
    What do you think?
    I think you're necroposting & thank you for doing so, been a good giggle reading this thread.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

Yes I guesss you are right but my interest in peoples changing views continues . I have been watching the attempts to prove Einsteins work for 40 years now and have not seen one that is flawless. This notion of mass increasing in size as it moves faster is abhorrent to me and I seek examples in the visible universe so threads like this can be helpful/.

Premium Lager

Thanks

Here is a question.

You have a lightbulb. It's off

You turn it on.

Light emits from it.

The light rays must have started a zero velocity but accelerated to the speed of light.

Was this instantaneous ?

If a photon has no mass, what forces were working on it to,

1. Accelerate it?

2. Decelerate it to a constant velocity?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Light certainly does take 'Time' to travel as I believe it takes some 8 minutes for Light to travel from the Sun to the Earth.
    As for the time from a 'globe' or whatever to reach your eyes, I havent got enough fingers and toes to count that many decimal places.
    Your other 2 questions are way over my miniscule brain to answer.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by porkop View Post
    Here is a question.

You have a lightbulb. It's off

You turn it on.

Light emits from it.

The light rays must have started a zero velocity but accelerated to the speed of light.

Was this instantaneous ?

If a photon has no mass, what forces were working on it to,

1. Accelerate it?

2. Decelerate it to a constant velocity?
    As the speed of light is a constant there is no acceleration or deceleration.
    The photons travel instantly at the speed of light.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Premium Lager

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    As the speed of light is a constant there is no acceleration or deceleration.
    The photons travel instantly at the speed of light.
    Is that a reasonably assumption? Does it just come into existence when the power is applied to the bulb? At the speed of light?

Thanks

Yet, when the photons move through a change in density of matter, their velocity changes.

This notion of mass increasing in size as it moves faster is abhorrent to me and I seek examples in the visible universe so threads like this can be helpful.
    I think you might be mistaken. Size doesn't change as in the volume. The relativistic mass is what increases, the rest mass does not change.

You have to remember that it is a kind of illusion. As you push on something harder and harder it's mass increases until infinite mass and you cannot push it any faster.
    It is just one way of looking at it. As you go faster time slows down until time stops and you cannot push any more.

While each of these may be an illusion of some sort, it is what happens and it is measurable. Every time you use a GPS, you're relying on corrections made to counteract the effects of relativity.

That nobel prize and possibility of interstellar space travel to a planet of your choice awaits you if you can demonstrate any different.

LSemmens
    Thanks

Mathematically it is feasible to exceed light speed. Theoretically, too. I'm not sure about time, though, as to the natural mind. You are moving towards an object at point t in time, if you are moving at light speed, then time is likely to remain static until you arrive. OF course the reverse holds true as to your origin. If you leave point "a" at "C" (light speed) then, time you get to point "b" (if it is at 1 light year, then , relatively, you have arrived at the same time you left! Of course you cannot observe yourself to have left as you have already arrived. If, however, you travel at "C + (any infinitesimal number)" then y would be able to see yourself leave. Of course, as you approach any object whilst travelling at "C" then time will have the effect of speeding up as you approach it. Sort of like the laws of conservation of momentum.

• Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast