Quote Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
Bizarre.

"The speed of light, as we've all heard, is a constant: 186,171 miles per second in a vacuum. But it is different in the real world, outside a vacuum; for instance, light not only bends but also slows ever so slightly when it passes through glass or water. Still, that's nothing compared with what happens when Hau shines a laser beam of light into a BEC: it's like hurling a baseball into a pillow. "First, we got the speed down to that of a bicycle," Hau says. "Now it's at a crawl, and we can actually stop it—keep light bottled up entirely inside the BEC, look at it, play with it and then release it when we're ready."
Evening all

After reading Learjet's above reply from the "coldest place in the universe" topic, it got me wondering... If the speed of light slows as it passes through a glass of water how come we don't see it as a different color? or does it regain it's momentum after departing the water? Or have I just misread what was being said and the speed of light doesn't change, or just completely screwed up my thoughts??

Cheers guys and gals