Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aldi 3.5' Tevion PWM-3501 $129

Thanks

Default Aldi 3.5' Tevion PWM-3501 $129

If you picked one of these up yesterday, by now you would have realised it's 'broke'.

It's the PWM-3501 SISIS A8 ARM 266MHz, 64Mb Ram and 1Gb inbuilt flash memory, running Win CE 6.0

Well Aldi have responded to the Sensis map Suburb 'illiteracy' problem, with a complete replacement of the existing 188Mb map.

You do wonder if and how Aldi tests these things. And right on the heals of the same model with Navteq maps which had severe routing 'disorders'.

On the downside it looks rather difficult to 'open'. I'm no expert so I'm hoping someone here can get other apps running on it

It's a 211MB download.....
    Below is a copy of the emailed instructions they sent me.....

Dear Customer,

To update the Sensis map on your Tevion P3501 Navigator, you need a PC with Microsoft Windows XP/Vista/Win98SE/ME.
    If you don't have access to such a computer, please contact the Tevion After Sales Support team on 1300 88 6649.

1. If you have not installed Microsoft ActiveSync on your PC, you need to install this program first by following the instructions below for your version of Windows.

Microsoft Windows XP or Vista - Open your web browser, go to and follow the instructions on this page to download and install ActiveSync 4.5. After downloading “setup.msi”, run setup.msi to install Microsoft Activesync.
    Microsoft Windows 98SE or ME - Open your web browser, go to and run the setup program, “msasync38b5004.exe”. Restart computer after installing.

2. After Microsoft Activesync is installed on your computer, you are ready to install the ROUTE 66 Map Updater.
    Go to and save the “map_updater.exe” file to your desktop.

3. Connect the Tevion GPS Navigator with the USB cable to your PC and switch on the Tevion GPS Navigator.

4. If this is the first time that you connect a USB storage device to your PC, you might need to install extra software.
    Follow the instructions on the screen of your PC to install the USB drivers that come with Windows.

5. As soon as the connection between the PC and the navigator is established, Microsoft ActiveSync on the PC will ask you if you want to set up a new partnership. Select 'Cancel' as this is not necessary and the device will be set up as 'guest'.

6. In the Microsoft ActiveSync window on the PC you see that the Navigator is now connected.

7. Now start up the “map_updater.exe” file, which you have downloaded.

8. The map updater will remove previous maps from your device and install the updated map.

9. This installation can take a few hours, depending on the speed of the connection between PC and Navigator.

10. The installation is completed successfully when the Map Updater program closes. Disconnect the Tevion GPS Navigator from your computer and it is now ready to use.
    Interesting that the R66 update function under the extras' menu still says 'no update available'.

Strange the fix wasn't implemented via the embedded updater?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Hey Farmsky

I know it'll go in the Stupid Question File but what do you mean

Suburb 'illiteracy' problem

Cheer
    Bowl300

Thanks

No. That was a bit cryptic.

There is something wrong with the original Sensis R66 map data that removed suburb association from city based streets. So imagine if you were looking for Smith St .... It simply finds every Smith St in Melbourne or Sydney. if you put a suburb in it won't find a match.

The download fixes it, and the unit runs sweetly enough for $129 (R66's quirks and foibles not withstanding ).

But it's a pretty low powered processor.

This video gives you an idea of the start up time vs the earlier Tevion release (same model numbers). The earlier release (a month or so ago) had a Centrality Atlas-III/400MHz processor with WinCE net 5.0 OS.

Thanks

The map with update is labelled Sensis 2008 Q4a.

Thanks

Disclaimer: If you're having troubles, the first thing you should do is call

Tevion Support - 1300 886 649

Do you have this GPS purchased at Aldi from 28th November 2008?

It is the updated PWM-3501 with Sensis mapping and a SISIS A8 ARM 266MHz, 64Mb Ram and 1Gb inbuilt flash memory, running Win CE 6.0 (the background image has been changed from standard)

Aldi released a similar model a month or so earlier with a different (faster) processor, Navteq mapping and a Win CE 5.0 operating system. The Navteq model has some problems with creating good routing solutions.

The new Sensis maps model has a sloooow processor, clearly identified by the time it takes to boot up. But once on the road with R66N8 running, it appears to work just fine.

As sold the GPS has a problem identifying streets in Capital cities; as all streets are linked to the City, not the suburb then City. So a search for say 'Station St Mortdale, Sydney' is not possible.

Well here's the .... thanks to déjà vu. :hatoff

It is the information that will be emailed to you if you call Tevion support.

It's a 211MB download.....
    Below is a copy of the emailed instructions they sent me.....

Dear Customer,

To update the Sensis map on your Tevion P3501 Navigator, you need a PC with Microsoft Windows XP/Vista/Win98SE/ME.
    If you don't have access to such a computer, please contact the Tevion After Sales Support team on 1300 88 6649.

1. If you have not installed Microsoft ActiveSync on your PC, you need to install this program first by following the instructions below for your version of Windows.

Microsoft Windows XP or Vista - Open your web browser, go to and follow the instructions on this page to download and install ActiveSync 4.5. After downloading “setup.msi”, run setup.msi to install Microsoft Activesync.
    Microsoft Windows 98SE or ME - Open your web browser, go to and run the setup program, “msasync38b5004.exe”. Restart computer after installing.
    2. After Microsoft Activesync is installed on your computer, you are ready to install the ROUTE 66 Map Updater.
    3. Connect the Tevion GPS Navigator with the USB cable to your PC and switch on the Tevion GPS Navigator.
    4. If this is the first time that you connect a USB storage device to your PC, you might need to install extra software.
    Follow the instructions on the screen of your PC to install the USB drivers that come with Windows.
    5. As soon as the connection between the PC and the navigator is established, Microsoft ActiveSync on the PC will ask you if you want to set up a new partnership. Select 'Cancel' as this is not necessary and the device will be set up as 'guest'.
    6. In the Microsoft ActiveSync window on the PC you see that the Navigator is now connected.
    7. Now start up the “map_updater.exe” file, which you have downloaded.
    8. The map updater will remove previous maps from your device and install the updated map.
    9. This installation can take a few hours, depending on the speed of the connection between PC and Navigator.
    10. The installation is completed successfully when the Map Updater program closes. Disconnect the Tevion GPS Navigator from your computer and it is now ready to use.
    After the reload the new map will be identified as 'Sensis 2008 Q4a'.

For Vista users, there is an additional problem

Vista does not support the usb device (Tevion GPS).

However there appears to be a solution thanks to 'megapenfreak'.

Call 1300 886 649, hang on for the announcement, then press '5' and once an operator answers, indicate you've a windows vista PC and can't 'communicate' with the GPS.

They go straight to the 'I'll send you an SD card today' routine etc

Not sure how an SD card is going to to make it work. But I guess we'll find out

Thanks

HEy Guys

Just did the update,has fixed the "Suburb 'illiteracy' problem" and given alot more user options eg date and time is now in the gps settings and I reckon scrolling thru options has sped up to

MicrosoftSync and updater were also very easy to use

Cheerz
    Bowl300

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Great information Farmsky

Thanks

The Navteq model has some problems with creating good routing solutions.
    Tell me about it! I bought this the other day and entered my destination as Hunter St Newcastle from Dungog and it took me in circles through Maitland and then to Hunter St Paterson!!! Argggggggghhhhhhh!

Thanks

The thing is riddled with bugs!

if u are already navigating to somewhere and select "navigate to" a screen pops up, then disapears before you can select anything, and then it asks you if you want to cancel current navigation, if you selesct yes then it navigates you to the gps spot u were at when u pressed "navigate to" that is just plain bloody ridiculous!

There is no "exit" without selecting anything option on most gps options

And now mine comes up with whenever I select gps mode

Error
    Engine initialization error. error code Ox10005. Please reinstall the application.
    Its a piece of shit!

Thanks

Arghhhhhhhh after downloading 105mb of the update, it stopped and says finished download, naturally its corrupt! Im going to throw this thing back at aldi

Thanks

Reloading from the cdrom did not fix it. So I chose FORMAT disk first then reinstalled the software and now it works a charm, plus there seems to be a load of extra options and menus available.

The navigate to where u currently are bug is now gone and previously it didnt allow you to exit many screens unless you selected a new option, but this is also fixed with the software that is on the cdrom, its also running faster, but be warned, the reloading of the software takes a tad over two hours

Thanks

Default VISTA FIX via SD card in the mail :)

Here is the package contents received in the mail with a 500Mb class 2 SD card.

Now IMHO, this isn't the best solution; as your GPS will now require the SD card permanently inserted, to operate the new maps. Pain in the bum really.

So if you can find an XP machine and use download and an active sync installation, this is the best solution.

A little investigation shows that the map on the SD card is identical to the map which is stored in the VDISK folder by the download active sync procedure.

Maps folder on SD card from Tempo Australia

Maps folder on VDISK via the 'active sync' procedure

Detailed Screen shots

Steps 4, 5

Steps 6, 7

Step 8

- - - - -

So I guess on the positive side .... you may decide not to do the delete bit and simply swap between maps to have a play

Thanks

Default HISTORY of SENSIS Map updates .. to date :)

Map 2008 Q4 - 188Mb map file

The out of the box November unit seems to navigate fine and deals with roundabouts. It can't however search for suburb based addresses. BIG problem

Map 2008 Q4a - 204Mb map file dated 25/11/08

So this map was rushed out via SD card (for Vista users) and internet download (for XP users). It fixes the suburb search problem, but introduced a voice context issue, particularly at roundabouts. Next BIG problem.

Map 2008 Q4a - 214Mb map file dated 01/12/08

There's a new 221Mb FTP download available, released last Friday.

Wonder if this fixes roundabouts?

Does it fix any problems. Doesn't appear to?

But there's more POI's

Thanks

Default Active Sync - Premature failure of Map loading

The map load will take a few hours and it must complete successfully. The GPS must maintain an activesync connection for the entire duration and it must remain connected at completion. If not; the map load will be incomplete.

It seems that the Tevion PWM-3501 'gets hot' during the map load and this may be the reason for premature failure of the map load (active sync disconnects).

Keep the GPS elevated and cool during the process as a precaution. Perhaps a fan? During the recent bout of hot weather, I've had many failed map loads with my GPS.

Once it cooled .. no problem.

Thanks

I picked one of these up for my sisters xmas present. I played with it briefly and decides to take it back. I don't like R66 at all!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_dinAlt View Post
    Reloading from the cdrom did not fix it. So I chose FORMAT disk first then reinstalled the software and now it works a charm, plus there seems to be a load of extra options and menus available....
    Jason is discussing the procedure on the gps itself. :hatoff

I'm not quite sure how much and what it formats?

Thanks

any chance of a link for the map? I have R66 on my phone and have an old map.

Thanks

Where to d/load is in first post

Tried the 214 M/b file bad move, was locked on world maps, could not get it to open the 2008 Q4a ,if anybody works out how to LMK

Went back to the 204 M/b D/load

Cheerz
    Bowl300

Thanks

You need the 'installed' 214Mb 'Australia SENSIS 2008-Q4a.map' file, not the 221 Mb 'map_updater1.exe' download, which comes complete with 6Mb of Active sync related software; to play.

I've tried to upload it but I'm on a seriously bandwidth challenge satellite Broadband cough, cough, splutter, link.

Nothing wrong with the '2nd larger' Q4a; it adds extra pois but doesn't fix the roundabout voice directions issue. So pretty useless really.

These maps seem to 'automatically' unlock on the Tevion PWM-3501 series.

Go to the FTP link for both the current offered map install proggies.

Thanks

Default Tevion map upgrade

G'day,
    I've just travelled all around Tassie with the Tevion pwm 3501 and apart from one minor direction glitch it was great.
    I have a problem now though.
    I've followed the instructions as to how to upgrade the map and I get to the point where Active Sync says "Guest connected", Route 66 seems to be going ahead OK and then says "Storage medium not found.Connect to USB port" Retry results in the same problem. I've retried numerous times tried a different port etc. Doesn't work. Anyone solved a similar problem or got any ideas,
    Thanks,
    Brutrac

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast