Thread: 1080P Questions

Thanks

Default 1080P Questions

Hello,

I am getting a bit fed up with the limitations of my Xbox 1 media center, and have decided to convert my PC into a media center instead, however i am confused about the resolutions.

My Plasma screen does a full 1080P, which I assume relates to the vertical resolution.

Originaly my PC had a HDMI onboard Video, but sadly being onboard it didnt really handle my games...so i bought a 1GB 9600GT (Asus), the max resolution this does is 1280 x 1024 so my questions...if anyone can help are..

1/ Does the 1280 x 1024 mean I am not getting the full 1080P from my screen?
    2/ Does anyone know of any video cards that can do 1080P
    3/ There is a converter for HDMI that plugs into the DVI, does this simply convert the resution and not change the max resolution.
    4/ I want to have the HDMI audio component as well, in the same cable, will this work for non High Res Movies...IE if I play a MKV High res, it will work, but If I play a 640x480 will the audio come out of DVI and into the HDMI or will I need to run Fibre Optic Audio to the Amp
    5/ The Xbox 1 will not do 1080P but will upscale...not what I want.... the XBOX2 will do 1080P but sadly lacks all the codecs, also I cant browse the net on it?

Ultimately I would like to sit in the lounge on my big screen and watch movies from my PC/Laptop , play games from there as well and also use the inbuilt tuner to ouput 1080P to the big screen as well as be able to browse the net?

Look Here ->
    Super Moderator
    Thanks

I'm pretty sure you need a screen with the resolution of 1920 x 1080 to get full HD 1080P so if your screen isn't at those specs then you're really not getting 1080P no matter what the source your feeding in is.
    The Eagle Flies High!

Thanks

Your video card will only display resolutions your screen can support, so when you're plugged into your pc screen you wont see 1920x1080 if the monitor doesn't support it.

Under advanced display properties you can "list all modes" to see what your video card supports.

DVI to HDMI dongles will carry sound & will give you proper 1080p if your video card supports it. Your video card needs to support audio if you want sound over HDMI, some video cards will have an extra header that you can use to feed digital audio into the card.

Don't try using an xbox 360 as this wont play blu ray or mkv's, much better off using a PC, also blu ray readers are only $118 at MSY.

Personally I have a PC (q6600/GeForce GTX260/3gb ram) connected to my 40" 1080P LCD via a DVI to HDMI cable, I then use an optical audio cable to hook the PC to my 7.1 receiver for audio, I use the Logitech S510 media bundle which includes a wireless keyboard, mouse and remote control for controlling the video/audio playback, also the Xbox 360 For Windows wireless controller for games (working on tying in the wii controller!), seperate DVD & Blu-Ray drives provide playback for optical media then the hdd's store mkv, avi's etc, you also have the option of putting HDTV tuner card into your PC and using it as a DVR also.

I'm fairly certain my old 8600GT SLi setup supported 1920x1080p so I'd assume you'd be OK once you plug your current card into the TV, don't forget to reboot the pc so it can detect the new resolutions.

Thanks

1280 x 1024 seems too low, i think your current monitor only supports that
    I have a 512 9400GT that does 1080p, so your card will do 1080p
    also most newer vid cards now have a audio lead you can connect from the card to spdif out on your motherboard to get vid & audio from hdmi, my card has it and works for me

Thanks

hdmi = dvi+audio

video cards with only dvi headers put out analogue information through some of the pins and digital on the rest. if you use a dvi-vga plug, it will pass the analogue through (if the pins around the blade are there, it will pass analogue).

the plasma will not likley allow more than 1280x1024 through its vga port and as mentioned before will not be displayed as an option in the mode list.

hdmi or dvi (if your plasma has it) will allow the 1920x1080.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mobihci View Post
    video cards with only dvi headers put out analogue information through some of the pins and digital on the rest. if you use a dvi-vga plug, it will pass the analogue through (if the pins around the blade are there, it will pass analogue).
    Why do video cards now come with a header for digital audio in if they're not going to pass it over the included dvi>hdmi dongles? They sure as hell don't do anything else with it!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nic55 View Post
    Why do video cards now come with a header for digital audio in if they're not going to pass it over the included dvi>hdmi dongles? They sure as hell don't do anything else with it!
    dvi never carried audio, only hdmi.

hdmi carries dvi information + audio, so if the video card routes the audio through it somehow from the onboard audio to the hdmi then it will have audio, if not then you have to insert the audio externally.

i believe some of the new video cards have an audio chip onboard to give audio out as well. as to whether the audio is digital or not, well you would have to look at the product specs.

Thanks

use the resolution from the manual only.

divide the pixel horizontal count by 16
    multiply this answer by 9
    this will tell you if you have widescreen anything over 720 is widescreen
    iam a bogan