Thread: Original DVD's

Thanks

Default Original DVD's

Anyone know what type of blanks are used by DVD manufactureres? I got some dvd's from eBay and am 99% sure they are pirated but apart from the usual signs I'd like to know if there's a way of just looking at the media. They come up as double layer discs but there must be some other way to determine if they're fakes. Should they be DVD-, DVD+ or something else altogether?
    Any ideas would be appreciated.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

pirate blanks?
    stick to ritek,ridata,ty, even tdk

if u mean retail dvds, there normally a silvery looking disk, blanks are like ink so that you see where the data has been burnt on it.
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PhillTheQuad View Post
    pirate blanks?
    stick to ritek,ridata,ty, even tdk

if u mean retail dvds, there normally a silvery looking disk, blanks are like ink so that you see where the data has been burnt on it.
    No, I meant that I bought some DVD movies and I reckon they're pirated copies, just wanted to know if there's a sure fire way of detecting them.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

yea well, im not real sure what real ones look like.

there factory pressed i think so you wouldnt be able to see how much has be burnt to it, thats a start.
    blanks mark real easy.
    run it through dvdinfopro, if it says ritek,go5 or sumthin, its not the mcoy

take a pic of the underside and post it up.
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Thanks

I've run the DVD's through DVDinfo and confirmed they are pressed, but I still reckom they're not the real McCoys for the following reasons:
    *None of the DVD's have the insert printed on both sides
    *There is no evidence of a hologram on the cover
    *The DVD label has no copyright, censorship rating, or region code printed
    *The reverse of the DVD does not appear to have any ID marking apart from a small number ftp 4588
    *Although these were received sealed, they have scuff marks on the playing surface.
    DVDinfo also shows playable regions as 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
    I'm going to tackle the supplier and ask for an explanation.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by suptob View Post
    I've run the DVD's through DVDinfo and confirmed they are pressed, but I still reckom they're not the real McCoys for the following reasons:
    *None of the DVD's have the insert printed on both sides
    *There is no evidence of a hologram on the cover
    *The DVD label has no copyright, censorship rating, or region code printed
    *The reverse of the DVD does not appear to have any ID marking apart from a small number ftp 4588
    *Although these were received sealed, they have scuff marks on the playing surface.
    DVDinfo also shows playable regions as 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
    I'm going to tackle the supplier and ask for an explanation.
    another good clue is the file names.
    if its SCR, screener etc.

Thanks

Spelling errors on the packaging is another nice one, nearly always one on there when you buy from asia.

Me thinks you are right though, they sound pretty bad if they are major label films (if they are something small them maybe they are, but not for a big company).

Thanks

there are tonnes of pirated movies that you can buy all over the world. They are pressed just like the original DVDs that you can buy from a reputable store here. They are usually called "sivlers" and it is very common for people to return from Bali, Singapore, Thailand, HongKong, China, Russia etc etc with them. like roguefan99 said, typically you'll find spelling mistakes and sometimes the movies are even CAMs.

Thanks

Well, the explanation from the supplier was that he knows nothing about them, but he has cancelled his business with the company supplying him from the United States...can you believe it! China is the one of, if not the biggest, producer of pirated material and he wants me to believe he is being supplied from the US! He wanted me to return the DVD's before I could get a refund so I refused unless he paid me first, guess what, no reply.
    What annoyed me was the fact that the eBay insertion specifically stated the all his DVD's were genuine, brand new, never opened, not bootleg or pirated copies, so I just left seven negative feedbacks for his amusement.
    Cheers.

Thanks

Stick too rytek , rydata , ty or even tdk , now i agree with ty but the others and especialy tdk you must be joking right ??? Your realy scrapping the barrol now old chap , just stick too Verbatim , i know there a little more expensive but i havent had a coaster yet and ive been using them for ages.

Cheers

JH

Thanks

i agree ive had heaps of issues with tdk,they are made by MMC,which i beleive to be an out source company a lot of cheaper disc sellers use to make there discs.

Thanks

guys.. read the thread.. where does he talk about optical chemical discs like ryteks and the like? hes not.

Hes talkin about pressed pirated movies, which is what these are.
    As mentioned there are many factories in asia which thrive on this, and the best way to determine whether or not its a pirate, is to call the local distributor because they will def be interested.
    Another thing to note is Ebay itself.

Another way to determine content is to compare it to the local release, mind you the fact its region free screams it aloud as most if not all legit DVD's are region coded.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnhoward View Post
    Stick too rytek , rydata , ty or even tdk , now i agree with ty but the others and especialy tdk you must be joking right ??? Your realy scrapping the barrol now old chap , just stick too Verbatim , i know there a little more expensive but i havent had a coaster yet and ive been using them for ages.

Cheers

JH
    what are you talking about mate, i bought a spindle of verbatim because everyone brags about how good they are, they were garbage for my dvd burner, there were spots where the dvd froze for a second or quick jerkiness in some scenes, and to verify this i tried on my other dvd player same thing, tried on another same thing, bought a spindle of tdk dvd-r and they are the best investment i made they work flawlessly.

Thanks

Default Verbatim

Quote Originally Posted by interceptor View Post
    what are you talking about mate, i bought a spindle of verbatim because everyone brags about how good they are, they were garbage for my dvd burner, there were spots where the dvd froze for a second or quick jerkiness in some scenes, and to verify this i tried on my other dvd player same thing, tried on another same thing, bought a spindle of tdk dvd-r and they are the best investment i made they work flawlessly.
    The very first Verbatim disc(sounds like Rat poison) I bought had external damage. The damage looked like a manufacturing fault and I did have a pic of it somewhere which I sent to Verbatim. They sent a couple of replacements.
    I have a list of recommended brands of disc to use with my particular burner. Most manufacturers web sites will have the same info.

Sorry about being off the main topic.

Boozo.