Thread: 3SK184 GaAs Fet transistor needed

Thanks

Default 3SK184 GaAs Fet transistor needed

Hi, I am in great need of a 3SK184 GaAs Fet for the font end of my amatuer radio, as I found out it is "DEAF" on 70cm and one of them is stuffed. I have not been able to locate this transistor anywhere so far, so if you have one, or you know where I can get one please please help...
    Thanks!

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Ah, now that FET sounds VERY familiar. I do believe it is the front end fet for your Yaesu FT419 or similar?

I don;t want to sound pessimistic about your chances for getting hold of an exact replacement, but - fat chance !

There are however other fets which are very similar, even though they are not listed as being similar or compatible.
    I do have a radio which I junked for these fets, and it may still have one or two still inside. Send me a PM and when I get home at the end of the week, I'll have a look around for the radio and see if any are recoverable.

Short of that, I also have a list of other SMD fets which can be used. But that list is also at home.

Thanks

Disclaimer I cannot guarantee that this will work for you!

At this stage, all is ok, I have managed to locate an alternate part which seams to be a direct drop in(see footnote). The part is a bf988wr which is available from RS Components Australia - RS Components is the leading high service level global supplier of Industrial components and tools, with over 56,000 products despatched same day.. The data specs also say that the noise factor for the bf988wr is only about 1.1 db, where as the 3sk184 has a spec of 2.8db...

Footnote:- accoring to the datasheet, the source and drain for the
    bf988wr are reversed in comparison the 3sk184, but after cutting tracks and crossing over the two connections it didn't work, but returning to normal connections, hey presto, it's working.

Thanks

Any idea where I can obtain a 3SK121 ? I have tried a MRF966 to no avail. pinout according the sheets is identical, but could be wrong I guess. I have some BF998 but being smd I will leave this as a last option even if I have to dag it in with some fine wire.

Its for an Icom IC3210a UHF side front end. These were prone to fail, I do have some BAV99 diodes to put accross it but until I get it to rx again I havn't bothered.

Thanks

WES Components used to stock the 3SK121 for under $4 and I used a few...they might have some left.

I have one new one left....somewhere. Better FETs exist than the 3SK121.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tx4000 View Post
    Any idea where I can obtain a 3SK121 ? I have tried a MRF966 to no avail. pinout according the sheets is identical, but could be wrong I guess. I have some BF998 but being smd I will leave this as a last option even if I have to dag it in with some fine wire.

Its for an Icom IC3210a UHF side front end. These were prone to fail, I do have some BAV99 diodes to put accross it but until I get it to rx again I havn't bothered.
    After looking at the specs for the BF998, it doesn't look to me like it is remotely compatible, the voltage rating is different, the current rating is different, the list goes on...So I don't personaly think you should try this one.

has it listed on their web page but I wouldn't know if they have any in stock.
    I'm not having any luck finding a decent data sheet, but still looking...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toyboy2131 View Post
    After looking at the specs for the BF998, it doesn't look to me like it is remotely compatible, the voltage rating is different, the current rating is different, the list goes on...So I don't personaly think you should try this one.

has it listed on their web page but I wouldn't know if they have any in stock.
    I'm not having any luck finding a decent data sheet, but still looking...
    I've found a good data sheet for a bf998WR and it acctualy looks fairly good, might be worth a go after all.

Thanks

i would have thought that icom would still stock them or an equivalent?
    or are they asking toooo much $$$$$