Thread: DM500s Won't Start......again...

Thanks

Default DM500s Won't Start......again...

This is starting to give me the shits. I bought a DM550s a short while ago and she still isn't working right. I had her going for a couple of weeks, but decided to move her to her more permanent place in the shelf. Now when I switch it on it goes thru the startup and just hangs on the Nabilosat screen, flashing it on and off. I originally thought it was the box when this happened a few weeks ago and Fernbay was kind enough to replace the box with a completely new one. Now this is happening again and I can't work it out.

I am able to use FlashXP to connect to the box and view the box's files etc, so the IP address of the box is still good. I can ping it and get a reply so she looks like she's attached to the LAN OK. However, when I try to access the box using the ip addy in Explorer, it won't find me the box. This leads me to believe that Enigma is not starting up and that is where she is getting stuck.

So I hear everyone saying reflash the image and it will be OK. I went down that path last time this happened and Dreamup won't work. It won't see the box, even if I use 3 different null modem cables on 4 different PC's. After I gave up, I sent the box back to Fernbay and he said the box reflashed first time.

So, firstly I want to get the box working again. Secondly, I want to know why it's doing what it's doing. And last, I want to stop it happeneing again.

Does anybody have any ideas for me? I live in Sydney so I can bring the box around for any testing etc. I don't want to send it back to Fernbay because, apart from it costing both of us money to send the boxes back and forth, I don't think it is his problem. There's something strange going on and I have no idea what.

I have tried (in the past) using dreamup on this box on a standalone laptop that is not on the lan so there shouldn't be any conflicting MAC addresses etc. Still no go. I don't want to go down the path of trying to flash the box at this stage as the IP etc seems ok, but I will do whatever is needed to get this going.

Anyway, very frustrated and looking for help.

Thanks All...
    Cheers.....
    FKA (Formerly Known As) Desquire....

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks

Is a CAM running? Guess not, if IE won't connect.

Connecting via FlashFXP is implying the OS is up.

I'd telnet in and have a look at what's running ? At the same time checking my CCcam.cfg, (assuming that CCcam is what you're wanting to run), and then launch it manually and see what happens.

Thanks

1: you stated you could not re-flash via dreamup yet fernbay flashed it first go
    (a) no disrespect but did you put in the correct com port in dream up and disable the ip connection
    (i)power unit off
    (11) connect cable and start dreamup
    (111)select correct com port and press connect
    (iv) when asked turn on power to dream

(b) and always do a flash erase twice before loading the new image.

(c)install pli jade as most are using that and can help with issues more than a image not commonly used ( even though i do)

2:The new unit you got from fernbay did it include a new PSU or are you still using the original one.

Thanks

@fandtm666,
    no disrespect or offense taken. Yes, correct com port, removed ip connection and connected it to a stand-alone laptop. Yes, powered the unit off. Yes, connect cable after unit is powered off, started Dreamup, selected connect to correct com port, and only then powered the unit back on. Didn't flash twice, but couldn't get that far even if I wanted to. The first time the box played up was when I was trying to load up the Pli Jade image, so I hear where you're coming from in all of the above. New unit is new PSU and all, I believe. Fernbay has been very patient and understanding with me, so a big thank you goes out to him while I'm at it.

....now back onto the current problem. Remember, all the above was with the previous box that I sent back to Fernbay and he replaced it with a completely new one. With this current box, I still couldn't work out what was going on, so I decided to have a go at Dreamup with this one. Recognised the box and loaded the image. I now have it working again. But the question still remains, why did this happen in the first place?

I have a suspicion that it may have something to do with what Jimbo123 mentioned above. Quite possibly the Enigma process (or some other process) was still running and it wouldn't get past it. Does anybody know where I can find some detailed instructions on how to telnet into the box, what commands to use to identify the processes that are running, kill these processes, etc, etc. I assume this is all Unix based commands, and I don't have much knowledge of things Unix...

Anyway, as always, thank you to everyone on these forums (people like Fandtm666, Jimbo123, Fernbay, Sanity, z80, just to name a few) who actually take the time to help out people like myself. Even if it is not mentioned all the time, we do appreciate you guys sharing all that knowledge and information...

Cheers All....
    FKA (Formerly Known As) Desquire....

Premium Member
    Thanks

Get yourself a telnet client,.. PuTTY is a common one to use.

Open a connection to your dream - use port 23, (not the default port 22).

Login using your dreambox credentials, default are usually username=root with a password of dreambox if one is set.

Once in and at a shell prompt, you can execute linux commands.

Try typing in "ps" without the quotes and observe what it comes back with,.. post back with what is there if you like.

Thanks

Have you earthed the LNB cable?

It could be the AC adapter.

Thanks

Wink

I had similar issues untill someone above me in intelect recommended upgrading the power supply.Been running 12v 5a without issues ever since.
    The clone p/s belongs in the bin or on E-Bay.
    If you read around it's pretty common to have issuse using the supplied p/s.