Thread: Realistic Pro-2006, manual availability ?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,179 Times in 2,163 Posts

Default Realistic Pro-2006, manual availability ?

I bought this one 2nd hand ages ago without a manual and today I decided to see if any were available online.
    In a site I checked I read that this scanner could be modified for 'Trunking' , something I know little about or if the 'trunking' mentioned was applicable here.
    I have baulked at buying a 'Trunking' scanner as I live west of Sydney and with only 2 towers localy, I couldnt justify the expenditure.
    And fortunately the local 'Fuzz' are still VHF and unencrypted so I still can enjoy them.
    If anyone has a spare manual or tell me where I might find one along with any info on this 'trunking' modification, I would appreciate it.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

the trunking part of it isn't easy. Its a two-step process. First you have to add in Optoelectronics Optoscan-456 to the 2006 (permits the 2006 to be computer controlled).
    Then you can either use a second scanner to monitor the trunked system control channel and use the Pro2006 with Optoscan-456 to be controlled by the PC with appropriate software (Mtrunk.exe for example)
    or
    get an Optoelectronics Optoscan-456 and Optotrakker - an add on 'black box' that will allow the pro2006 to trunk-track on its own. But I think it will only work with certain types of Motorola trunking, perhaps not the latest types we have here... you'd have to research that yourself.

I'm told the Optoscan-456 is discontinued.

Might just be easier to sell the 2006 and get a Uniden 780 or something that already trunk-tracks, built-in.

Premium Member

Thanks

Based on normal radio traffic it doesnt seem worth the cost to modify and certainly not to buy a better scanner.
    Plus I was told over the weekend the RFS is going digital mid year from the current system.
    My friend didnt know if this will involve any form of encryption.

To misquote the Queen of hearts,'Its getting Lesserer and Lesserer every day'.

Thanks

Sometimes claims of 'going digital' are over exaggerated.
    To the lay person, conversion to a trunked network could be described as 'going digital' (ie the digital data on the control channel).
    If they were to go to digital, encryption probably wouldn't be used. Why? Need & cost. It costs extra to have encryption, and if you don't really NEED it, why bother paying the extra (which is on a per-radio basis - 20000 radios means 20000 encryption fees)
    Besides, who has money to upgrade radio systems now? World financial crisis and all.

Premium Member

Thanks

I wondered myself why the change but as talk is always cheaper than action, it wouldnt surprise me to find out this was the case.
    And as for money? Whenever has that been a problem to buy useless equipment by a govt dept when the approval is in the hands of a clerk who knows little about communications, dancing to the whims of some Dept head or Politician out for a good press release?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    And as for money? Whenever has that been a problem to buy useless equipment by a govt dept when the approval is in the hands of a clerk who knows little about communications, dancing to the whims of some Dept head or Politician out for a good press release?
    And, being greased by the "knobs" at Motorola...

Thats how we ended up with the (crappy) GRN in the first place!
    I'm just a little dog...

Thanks

Seems you can download the manual from here

This may be better

Thanks

Gordon I have a manual here somewhere.Probably in the original box that the 2006 came in.I still use my 2006 everyday...great scanner.

Vamp
    De
    VK3AWG

All Religions Are Cults Just Some Are More Readily Accepted Than Others.

Thanks

Thumbs up Dts96

Hi All,

I have just found that you can use win96 on the DTS96 scanner, I was told that you could not run it with the DTS96 as the firmware was not the same as the PRO96 and I could not get it to work at first.

I will have to pay for a key now it works as the 30 day trial is all most up, it took that long to work things out.

I tryed to run ARC96 with my DTS96 and it would only download from the scanner not upload, and I have spent just as much time on it as I did with win96 but with no luck.

Premium Member

Thanks

Thanks for those links,
    That full manual made me realise just what goes into making these scanners.
    You just think its just a toy but they are really a very high Tech piece of equipment.
    I really just wanted the owners guide to tell me what the 'Sound Squelch' is and how to use it.

I see that site has the book for the DX160, my first 'REAL' SW receiver. I lusted after a Yeasu or Kenwood but the DX 160 did the job.
    I eventually got a 2nd hand Yeasu FRG 7 that is now gathering dust in a cupboard.
    Must see if there is a book for it on that site.

Thanks

2nd hand Yaesu FRG7s are fetching incredible prices on the internet. Saw one in very good condition get $600 a few weeks ago! Better find yours fast and catch the high-value wave while you can... then go and buy what you really want with the cash.

Thanks

Hmmm. wonder what the fRoG7000 goes for then
    got mine sitting here doing nothing much

Thanks

Speaking of Pro2006
    Anyone got a dead one(dead RF section)
    I have one with major damage to the main circuit board/power supply section, still works on DC(through a dodgy repair fly lead)
    wouldn't mind replacing the damaged bits

Premium Member

Thanks

$600? one went at auction last year for around $80.
    Last time I tuned it in all I found were wall to wall religious stations.
    So many countries had sold off their Shortwave sevices because of the introduction localy of Television and Satelitte coverage for the remoter areas were taking away their audiences.
    Many stations wouldnt QSL unless you sent those International coupons to cover costs and the fees for them had increased so it was becoming an expensive hobby.
    I cant remember how now but I did hook it to a Vic 20 or Commodore 64 and managed to get a bit of TTY from of all places, P'yongyang (North Korea) pages and pages of welcomes from Kim il Sung, daddy of the present nutcase running North Korea, to delegates of a Pan Afro-Asian Conference.
    I think with the decoder and a computer you could get those radio pics sent by the then wire services too but could you imagine waiting 30 minutes at least for a line by lline scan in very low resolution of a black and white pic today?

Thanks

AHH the Ol P'yongyang News Service, good for a laugh those reports were
    the FAX services are still running for Marine weather
    not much in the RTTY other than marine stuff thses days
    even the USAF doesn't TX on HF much these days