Thread: 22k, DiSEqC & Toneburst issues

Group 1 Owner
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,632 Times in 742 Posts

Default 22k, DiSEqC & Toneburst issues

Working with a DM500s.

I've just thrown in a 22k switch into one of my setups. Basically the the 22k switches 2 coax feeds. One is a 2.2m with combo cband/Universal ku and the other feed is from 3 x 11300 LNBs. The Combo has a builtin DiSEqC switch and the 3 LNBs go through a 4way DiSEqC switch.

Now I do get all signals, all freq's (after a bit of mucking around)

My questions:

1. In the Dreambox config menu, the 22k is selected in the column with 'On-OFF-Hi/Lo.
    Now this I thought would make it difficult using universal LNB's? Unable to select Hi/Lo. I left the standard 09750/10600/11700 config and it appears to scan. I have the settings set to 'OFF' and in the 'blue button' Ver 1.0 A/B. My Cband for the same Combo setup is set to 'OFF' and A/A. Makes sense to me. Problem is, it wont switch between signals (DiSEqC) .
    I have a Strong 4658x hooked to this feed via a satellite splitter. I must use the Strong to select the Band (C or KU) and then the Dreambox will lock in.

So on the other side of the 22k switch I have 3 x 11300 going through the 4way DiSEqC. They are all switched to 'ON' and Ver 1.0 A/A, A/B & B/A. They work. (No switching between C or KU).

So I'm a little puzzled why the Dreambox wont actually switch my combo between CBand and KU. No Doubt I have something wrong.

I initially thought the 'TONEBURST' was for the 22k. It has the A & B selections. But selecting that alone and then A/A, A/B etc did nothing.

So my 2nd question.

2. What is the Toneburst selection in a DM500 for?
    Google hasn't helped. Just more confused. I'm thinking this needs to be incorporated into my config somehow. Tried, but no differences.

Any help would be appeciated.
    Cheers, Saintaholic

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Wink You sure have my head spinning.

Quote Originally Posted by Saintaholic View Post
    Working with a DM500s.

I've just thrown in a 22k switch into one of my setups. Basically the the 22k switches 2 coax feeds. One is a 2.2m with combo cband/Universal ku and the other feed is from 3 x 11300 LNBs. The Combo has a builtin DiSEqC switch and the 3 LNBs go through a 4way DiSEqC switch.

Now I do get all signals, all freq's (after a bit of mucking around)

My questions:

1. In the Dreambox config menu, the 22k is selected in the column with 'On-OFF-Hi/Lo.
    Now this I thought would make it difficult using universal LNB's? Unable to select Hi/Lo. I left the standard 09750/10600/11700 config and it appears to scan. I have the settings set to 'OFF' and in the 'blue button' Ver 1.0 A/B. My Cband for the same Combo setup is set to 'OFF' and A/A. Makes sense to me. Problem is, it wont switch between signals (DiSEqC) .
    I have a Strong 4658x hooked to this feed via a satellite splitter. I must use the Strong to select the Band (C or KU) and then the Dreambox will lock in.

So on the other side of the 22k switch I have 3 x 11300 going through the 4way DiSEqC. They are all switched to 'ON' and Ver 1.0 A/A, A/B & B/A. They work. (No switching between C or KU).

So I'm a little puzzled why the Dreambox wont actually switch my combo between CBand and KU. No Doubt I have something wrong.

I initially thought the 'TONEBURST' was for the 22k. It has the A & B selections. But selecting that alone and then A/A, A/B etc did nothing.

So my 2nd question.

2. What is the Toneburst selection in a DM500 for?
    Google hasn't helped. Just more confused. I'm thinking this needs to be incorporated into my config somehow. Tried, but no differences.

Any help would be appeciated.

G'Day,
    Let's be methodical about this.
    22 Khz on/off can switch the Universal High/Low with 13/18 V for H & V.
    Now the tone control can switch the DiSEqC 4 in 1 out, in breaks of the 22 Khz.
    Can you work it out from there as we have cleared up the major mis-conception?
    Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".

Group 1 Owner
    Thanks

Ok, the first I'll cop sweet. Thought the Lo (09750) and Hi (10700) had both Ver/Horiz. But it works!

So I'm not 100% sure about the 'BREAKS'. I'm guessing I need to have the Toneburst on (A or B selected) and select something in the parameters after the A/A A/B. meaning the 1 to 16 ??

I just cant 'click' about the breaks in 22K. I'm thinking it's either 22k or not ?? Breaks, Pulses ?? Do I need to set a certain amount of pulses ??
    Cheers, Saintaholic

Group 1 Owner
    Thanks

Ok, I now find that a Tone Burst is not actually a switch, but 'compliments' the 22K. I'm thinking the 'Pulse' can be anything from 4k to 22K. The Control Line (Tone Burst). So How am I to know what size or 'figure' I need for this. Or is it simply a matter of selecting between A and B. 'cause that's all that's available.
    On that note. What is the difference between the A and B if it's selcting different Khz. ??............The more I read..........Ahhhhhh
    Cheers, Saintaholic

Thanks

Wink Those DiSEqC codes.

Quote Originally Posted by Saintaholic View Post
    Ok, the first I'll cop sweet. Thought the Lo (09750) and Hi (10700) had both Ver/Horiz. But it works!

So I'm not 100% sure about the 'BREAKS'. I'm guessing I need to have the Toneburst on (A or B selected) and select something in the parameters after the A/A A/B. meaning the 1 to 16 ??

I just cant 'click' about the breaks in 22K. I'm thinking it's either 22k or not ?? Breaks, Pulses ?? Do I need to set a certain amount of pulses ??

First I will explain another thing that i noticed in your 1st question.
    Your splitter is apparently one leg all pass and the Strong is doing the DC switching. This is well and good because you cannot have two STBs controlling the same thing.

Now to the last query. I'm not sure of the timing of the Breaks in the 22 Khz, but the Tone Switching is synchronised to occur in those Breaks. Again, without looking it up, not sure of the tones used, but would be the the four, H-L-HL-LH, or something like that. It is something other than 22 Khz.
    Now I'm gunna have a cup of tea, a bex, and a good lay down.

Group 1 Owner
    Thanks

Thanks
    Cheers, Saintaholic

Thanks

Cool Tone Burst explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by beer4life View Post

Your splitter is apparently one leg all pass and the Strong is doing the DC switching. This is well and good because you cannot have two STBs controlling the same thing.

Now to the last query. I'm not sure of the timing of the Breaks in the 22 Khz, but the Tone Switching is synchronised to occur in those Breaks. Again, without looking it up, not sure of the tones used, but would be the the four, H-L-HL-LH, or something like that. It is something other than 22 Khz.
    Now I'm gunna have a cup of tea, a bex, and a good lay down.

G'Day, sorry for the delay. Had trouble sorting the wheat from the chaff and then uploading the image.
    Seems I wasn't exactly right, might call it a ' Druids' Licence '.
    This is for a simplified two tone and it uses a modulated 22 Khz, but confirms what I said about it being in the Breaks of the 22Khz.

Kindest Regards, " The Druid "......

Group 1 Owner
    Thanks

Oh Ok, I all makes sense now...................(me trying to be sarcastic)

Thankyou for that.

I gather the Tone Burst Must be used. The A or B would be the side of the 22k I have that signal. I cant see within the Dreambox config menu where I can control the length of the modulation signal. I will play with the 'repeats' settings and the amount in there.

What I believe I understand from this is, The 22k switch in 'OFF' (for instance) allows a DiSEqC message to be sent down 'A' of switch. By selecting Toneburst 'A' , this will ensure a follow up 'Burst' of 13mS will travel down 'A' ( to seperate/break/reset ) and then if a repeat DiSEqC message is set correctly, then further messages (lasting 40mS each) will follow, EACH being interupted with a ToneBurst signal. From there the continuos signal required will appear and LOCK IT IN EDDIE!!

I will Have a few more go's at this. I'm pretty sure I've had this setup I'm talking about with no luck. (Maybe I'm still way off track)

Yesterday, initially when I first hooked it up, I had the 22k connections opposite. The CBand and KU were switching correctly then. From memory they were 'ON' with the 22k. I had issues trying to get my 3 x 11300 going. It wasn't until I swapped and everything came good. (except now for the Combo CBand and KU Universal). As I said and you explained why, the Strong decoder does the switching for the combo, then I turn it off. I was starting to think that the 22k in 'OFF' wont allow Low Freq's through (Filter-4k>22k)

I'm still thinking....................
    Cheers, Saintaholic

Group 1 Owner
    Thanks

Thanks Beer4Life, I made a quick sketch of my setup.

Misses is watching a Movie and wont let me near the boxes at the moment.

Cheers, Saintaholic

Thanks

Talking Tell him he's dreamin'.

G'Day Cobber,
    Methinks you missed the significance of this comment;

Look at it this way. If you select 13 V with one box and 18 V with the other, the 18 V will dominate.(I think that's the Horizontal).
    Any other commands, whether 22 Khz and/or modulated get confused.

I cannot see any way, with the components you have, that you can accomplish what you are trying to do.

Just off the top of my head, (dunno if they even make them.) a quattro/uni/Ku with C Combo and a MultiSwitch (6x2) should get the sparks frying. In other words, re-read the Title.

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ". (I can feel an Aneurysmal Haemorrhoid coming on.)