Thread: Wollongong Hawks no more!

Thanks

Thumbs down Wollongong Hawks no more!

Whats this I read the Hawks finished. Can't afford to join the new Basketball competition. Man that sucks! Basketball is going to shit in this country!

I remember sitting up the back row on the portable scaffold at the Snakepit(old tin shed) & about 200 people stomping our feet & screaming "iiiiilllllllawaaarrrraaaa" over & over just to piss off the opposition & all the other people who lived within a 5 mile radius of the stadium.
    Those were the days!
    RIP Illawarra Hawks.
    Happy to be here......still

Look Here ->
    Thanks

The BBall league is in a world of hurt these days. Everyone lost interest in it when it went to Foxtel and its been forgotten about. They are struggling all over the country. Its dissapointing to see a team that had such a strong following and "rapid" home crowd go from the league though.
    Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of pop tarts and pancake mix.

Thanks

New "National" league will have no NSW team

BB Australia must be dreamin' if they continue to put a million dollar price tag on each team that wants to enter new comp...geez
    Im Feeling Wobbly !!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roguefan99 View Post
    ..... Its dissapointing to see a team that had such a strong following and "rapid" home crowd go from the league though.
    Was that rapid or Rabid.
    The crowds at the "pit" got pretty savage.
    I was amazed when Sydney, Brissy folded & almost lost the other Sydney Team. The writing was on the wall when the poular & successful teams can't even afford to carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by wobbly
    New "National" league will have no NSW team
    BB Australia must be dreamin' if they continue to put a million dollar price tag on each team that wants to enter new comp...geez.
    The amount of travel & expenses & player payments, you would probably need that sort of money these days. It's just not as popular as it used to be so I don't think it will survive. Entrepreneurs & Sponsers won't see it as a commercially viable and money will dry up.
    It just won't be the same comp anymore without the 3 clubs.....especially without the Hawks.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

Yes Thanks Rupert for buying up the sole rights and then slowly ****ing up our NBL.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poddy View Post
    Was that rapid or Rabid.
    The crowds at the "pit" got pretty savage.
    I was amazed when Sydney, Brissy folded & almost lost the other Sydney Team. The writing was on the wall when the poular & successful teams can't even afford to carry on.

The amount of travel & expenses & player payments, you would probably need that sort of money these days. It's just not as popular as it used to be so I don't think it will survive. Entrepreneurs & Sponsers won't see it as a commercially viable and money will dry up.
    It just won't be the same comp anymore without the 3 clubs.....especially without the Hawks.
    The Million dollars I was saying..is just the money lodged with the league. Then you have your playing roster and the rest of the expenses.

A bit rich to ask for $1M just to play...
    Im Feeling Wobbly !!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly View Post
    The Million dollars I was saying..is just the money lodged with the league. Then you have your playing roster and the rest of the expenses.

A bit rich to ask for $1M just to play...
    Sorry Wobbly...I missed that.
    Yeh that stinks big time. If it's not hard enough to run a team etc they want their pound of flesh before it all even starts. Someone has to pay for the fat arses in the office.