Thread: how does cccam work?

Thanks

Default how does cccam work?

Thanks mainly to the info on this site, i've managed to set my self up with a dreambox as a replacement for the cr@p poxtel supplied box. I have a DM500s (thanks Fernbay) with pli jade image working perfectly with cccam 2011 & a legit poxtel blue card in the internal slot. Managed to get streaming working around the LAN as well, very handy...works as well as can be expected with this box, you really only notice the pixelisation when watching sport on a big LCD. pretty amazing what you can do nowadays with sub $200 hardware!

My question to the gurus here is, does cccam take the necessary info from the card & place it into its config files when the card is plugged in? ie softkey, autoroll, etc? Indeed, does it store the card info (temporarily or not) anywhere in the box? If not, is it somehow possible to read the card manually while its plugged into the internal slot?

I'm not CS'ing & dont intend to, just curious to know if i could somehow read the info from my card, put that in the cccam files & get pics without using a dedicated card reader.

good fun exprimenting with this stuff

Look Here ->
    Thanks

short answer is - not possible mate

Thanks

bummer. Is this the case with all technologies or just n*s?

Thanks

certainly true for Nds -
    what you asked above is also not possible for iredeto as well
    other things are supposedly possible with some iredeto .but still not in the way you describe - but I cant help you there... cos I just dont know

Thanks

I think what you are asking is equivalent to a software emulation of the particular encryption system.

This is theoretically possible for all systems but in practice has not been achieved for nds nor irdeto2.

Currently, cccam and others can emulate irdeto1 (ie no card is required) but the emulation is not complete... this means that every month or so, when irdeto1 PMK is updated, one has to update the details manually.

If anyone were to successfully emulate irdeto2 or nds, then these systems would be changed by au#tar and #oxtel to render the emulation ineffective. So it is unlikely that we'll ever have this available.

The 'sellers' have successfully emulated these systems on 'white cards' (rather than in the set top box itself) and then changes have rendered these cards ineffective and the buyers are left with worthless cards.

cheers

Thanks

interesting. i guess this is where it gets confusing.
    so cccam is not only a sharing tool, its also an emulator. But what function is it performing when its used with a legit card?

Thanks

When a legit card is used, then cccam is emulating the cam to card interface commands (taking the place of an irdeto2 or nds CICAM module for example). If cccam (as a CAM rather than an emulator) knows the correct interogation protocol, then the intelligence on the card provides a useful response.

So a card contains an operating system (irdeto2 or nds) as well as particular subscription data, encrypted keys etc. The contents of the card cannot be read directly. The only way to access the details hidden in the card is via the irdeto2 or nds command protocol.

So it would be a much bigger ask to have the software (cccam) cover the whole system ie. the cam/card interface protocol, the card operating system and the subscription data.

I reckon you should count yourself lucky to be able to use the legit card in a non endorsed set top box... I think that the #ustar and #oxtel should allow ready use of third party boxes rather than making it difficult. I certainly will stick to fta TV until they change.

Thanks

thanks for the post AJM, this is the type of info thats difficult to come across.
    I knew there were no guarantees when I purchased the DM so I'm pretty happy that it works at all.