Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: Anyone using champix?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    An old thread bump, how did the smokers go ?
    Im on them again (and again)

On the last day of the whole program, 1 pill left for tonight.

Still busting for a smoke somewhat though.

Will be visiting the Dr tomorrow morning and ask for an extra dose to keep me off them for longer.

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Did you stay off the smokes WhiteOx ? I see it was 2009 when you first gave up.
    Kind of...
    I'll have half a one once in a while but I wouldn't consider myself a true smoker.
    Sometimes I just feel like a headspin.

Banned
    Thanks

A 10 cig/day smoker since 14 , I started champix in February. Day 1 on the starter pill I didn't have a smoke until 2pm & only had one because I felt I should. That was the last smoke I've had. Stopped the program 2 weeks early as I was getting a fairly annoying skin condition which cleared up as soon as I stopped the champix.
    I am now an active passive smoker. As part of the "cheap" supply of champix via a doctors prescription there was an obligation to register with the "Quit" campaign & nominate a suitable time for their councillors to give you a regular support phone call. I am still waiting to get a call.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by watchdog View Post
    A 10 cig/day smoker since 14 , I started champix in February. Day 1 on the starter pill I didn't have a smoke until 2pm & only had one because I felt I should. That was the last smoke I've had. Stopped the program 2 weeks early as I was getting a fairly annoying skin condition which cleared up as soon as I stopped the champix.
    I am now an active passive smoker. As part of the "cheap" supply of champix via a doctors prescription there was an obligation to register with the "Quit" campaign & nominate a suitable time for their councillors to give you a regular support phone call. I am still waiting to get a call.
    Well done mate.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by best4less View Post
    Bloody Brilliant, but put on almost 30 KG but lost it all again after walking 3 km a day in 30 minutes

I wont take up smoking till I find out I have something Terminal

Well done.

3km a day in 30min!! Your shoes must have been smoking instead.

Great stuff.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Well done watchdog, Hang in there Godzilla, it will get easier.

Administrator
    Thanks

Just curious............how many of those that attempted to give up smoking in this thread stayed off them ?

Just reading it reminded me of poor xnavyman

Administrator
    Thanks

No one ? Silence equals guilt ?

What about you WhiteOx ?

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

I haven't smoked for a couple of years now.
    I still get a passing urge but it only lasts for a few seconds.

• The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

admin (14-09-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,531 Posts

I still miss Geoff very much, a man that thought he done the right thing by giving up, 9 years cig free and the bastard cancer got him, a year after Geoff passed away, another very close old timer friend succumbed to lung cancer and he had given up the cigs 40 years ago, And Saturday another close mate passed away to cancer and he never smoke a ciggy in his life, and it was the same for my dear mum never smoked lung cancer took her.
    I am currently feeling pretty crook myself I have some shitty counts with my bloods, Ive drastically cut back, but I find it pointless in my stage of life to quit

• The Following User Says Thank You to Rick For This Useful Post:

admin (17-09-17)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,917 Times in 1,280 Posts

I started the Champix tabs Sep 2008 followed the coarse and had a small slip up (I had a couple of smokes)on the 2nd day of no smokes 5 days later no more cigs.

I had no side affects from the tabs but i have heard that some do get side affects.

I still get the urge every so often and think 1 smoke would do no harm but then I think no as with all the other attempts to quit 1 smoke a week then 1 a day and so on.

I can be near other people smoking and it don't bother me.

So to any one trying to give up keep trying.

SS Dave
    Death smiles at everyone. Grumpy old men smile back.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SS Dave For This Useful Post:

admin (17-09-17),enf (15-09-17),Rick (14-09-17)

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I still miss Geoff very much, a man that thought he done the right thing by giving up, 9 years cig free and the bastard cancer got him, a year after Geoff passed away, another very close old timer friend succumbed to lung cancer and he had given up the cigs 40 years ago, And Saturday another close mate passed away to cancer and he never smoke a ciggy in his life, and it was the same for my dear mum never smoked lung cancer took her.
    I am currently feeling pretty crook myself I have some shitty counts with my bloods, Ive drastically cut back, but I find it pointless in my stage of life to quit
    Yep, he was a good bloke and a good forum member. He enjoyed posting and made a lot of friends here. I dont think I can recall him ever having a bad word for anyone.

Rick, as a non smoker it will probably sound like a lecture from me, but I will try my best to not make it sound like one. Its never too late to quit, cancers aside, most smokers end up on an oxygen bottle and that's one thing you can try and avoid by giving up.

A mate of mine has taken it back up (thinks I dont know....smokers dont actually know they reak after it)) and its due to a lack of willpower when hanging around with smokers when he drinks. He told me yesterday that one of those smokers (same age as me) just got the bad news he has terminal cancer. This guy has been in Australia for a couple of decades and only this year became an Australian citizen. Now he is likely to die within a year of becoming an Australian. Ironically his wife who doesn't smoke, works in a major hospital.

I wont tell my mate I know he smokes, because if I am there he smokes less, and there is no way I will go out and stand outside with smokers.

I also have another mate who I have known for over 3 decades who never smoked who is now smoking a few a day, he says because of boredom. He won't smoke when I visit......I said if you want to, its up to you, just because I am anti smoking doesnt mean you cant. But he said he would rather not when I visit, so thats his choice.

I know its hard to give up. I gave up at 30. Just had second child and said to my missus we are both giving up as we are no good dead to our children. I went cold turkey first up and failed after a couple of weeks. I was determined, and went cold turkey a second time and stayed off them. My wife persisted for another 2 years until it got to the point I wouldn't kiss her because she stank She didn't like that at all, and finally stopped.

SSDave, well done mate, and yes you will still get the urge for years, but you can ignore it because those urges don't last long.

20,000 Australians are still dying each year from smoking related illness and disease............its not good.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

Rick (17-09-17)

• Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213