Thread: Two of Us (Birds)

Thanks

Default Two of Us (Birds)

My new friend(s)

The one with the reddest chest blew out of the nest during the Christmas storms. I picked him up as a small ball of brown wet down. He/She has been flying now for about 6 weeks and has brought back a friend.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

cool pics... i wonder how long he will come back?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Ironic subject....I just made a bird thread

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    Ironic subject....I just made a bird thread
    So I notice, you must have typed when I did.

Anyhow, in over 40 years I have have never had a captive caged bird unless it was injured or in some other way incapacitated, and then only until it was fit and then I released it or gave it away into a zoos aviary.

I believe my first Kestrel is still alive in London Zoo. - have to check.

I've named this one "Bird" same as the first one I looked after and, for that matter all the others (originality not my strong point).

Taught Bird to crap in the garbage bin while he still couldn't fly. Only problem was it depended which way he was facing sometimes his bum was facing outside the bin and he crapped outside, but I still rewarded him for doing the right thing.

Most birds fly on to lights and high edges because of two things, fear and/or need to investigate. They are inquistitive. Work out why your bird is doing it this will remove the need for wing clipping.

In a quite room just you and bird try to teach him to land or fly to you when you say a word like "come". Be consistent, do NOT move fast, just keep your hand still with a reward in it (piece of fruit or something you know he likes) 20 mins per day max. You will have to do this about 10 to 15 days, maybe less if he trusts you.

As you say you have clipped him, lie on your belly on the floor (same eye hieght) and start from there.

Remember - repetition with consistency, reward and trust - gain the trust first.

Administrator
    Thanks

There is no major issue with him , more that we dont want to lose him or have him fly in to windows and walls and injure himself.

He has no fear of anyone or anything and comes and goes from his cage as he pleases. He generally just eats and plays with his toys all day when he isnt asleep on you. He is not a fan of traditional sleep on the perch with the head under the wing and prefers lying down with a pillow for his head

Thanks

There is no major issue with him , more that we dont want to lose him or have him fly in to windows and walls and injure himself.

He has no fear of anyone or anything and comes and goes from his cage as he pleases. He generally just eats and plays with his toys all day when he isnt asleep on you. He is not a fan of traditional sleep on the perch with the head under the wing and prefers lying down with a pillow for his head
    You must be doing something right, he trusts you. The clipping IMHO is not required as all birds are smart enough not to hurt themselves in a safe environment (trust again).

If you ever pluck up the courage - when you believe he is no longer fearful of you - get him to fly onto your hand, carry him through an open door, let him fly to a tree or whatever, then call him back to your hand.

When I did it first time I felt like a king.

Administrator
    Thanks

He has never been fearfull of me , he's in love with me If I go outside he sits on my shoulder and makes no attempt to fly away. He doesnt really like going outside ( doesnt like wind ) unless its to the car. He sleeps in the console or sits on the t bar and gives directions when I pick the kids up from school.

I am going to have to tell him he is a bird one day...I hope he takes it well

Thanks

He has never been fearfull of me , he's in love with me If I go outside he sits on my shoulder and makes no attempt to fly away. He doesnt really like going outside ( doesnt like wind ) unless its to the car. He sleeps in the console or sits on the t bar and gives directions when I pick the kids up from school.

Well done, if captivity is its future make it as pleasant as it can be. Enjoy the company - both of you.

If you want to potty train it don't leave it too long - they learn quicker when young.

Just imagine the fun you can have with a pelican and boy do they stink.

Premium Member
    Thanks

I use to have a cockateil years ago had him for 10 years before he died...taught him to wolf whistle and to say Gidday mate.
    He use to waddle around on the floor and follow me, had to be very careful not to accidently stand on him (you sometimes forget he is there).

Thanks

Thats nice

Administrator
    Thanks

I am going to try and teach him the TomTom voice commands on GPS

Thanks

lol...which voice do you use mate? that would be a crack up