Thread: Daisy chaining SATA drives

Thanks

Default Daisy chaining SATA drives

Hello,

Can any one tell me how to daisy chain SATA drives together. For example SCSI drives had a SCSI cable that had multiple connectors on it and you could run multiple drives of the single cable with different drive number same was true for IDE you had a Master and slave and they were connected onto a single cable using one IDE port. From what I have seen of SATA drives there is one connector on the drive that is connected via SATA cable to the SATA port on the Motherboard. How is this a serial configuration if you need to have seperate ports available for each drive? Is there a reason why the SATA drives dont have a in and out port so you go from the MB to in on the 1st drive then from the out on the 1st drive to in on the 2nd drive etc.

SATA was meant to be a step forward am I missing something?

ikhan42

Look Here ->
    Thanks

SATA is one channel for each drive unlike IDE. I think its a step forward because the full bandwidth can be use by that drive alone. Having two drives hooked up in Master and Slave in an IDE configuration wasn't that fast in the old days, and I found I had better results when they were on seperate IDE channels.

SATA's advatage was is speed over PATA and also the fact that the drives were hot swappable. If you look you will find that SCSI is still the fastest system out there, its just expensive!
    Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of pop tarts and pancake mix.

Thanks

roguefan99 is right there mate, only one per cable.

If you are like me and running out of ports on your MB you can always look at a PCI or PCI-E card.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roguefan99 View Post
    SATA is one channel for each drive unlike IDE. I think its a step forward because the full bandwidth can be use by that drive alone. Having two drives hooked up in Master and Slave in an IDE configuration wasn't that fast in the old days, and I found I had better results when they were on seperate IDE channels.

SATA's advatage was is speed over PATA and also the fact that the drives were hot swappable. If you look you will find that SCSI is still the fastest system out there, its just expensive!
    I was messing around with HD tach and Sandra on my gaming rig a while back, 20% in single drive operation over SataII is a small gain. SCSI really shines in servers using multiple drive at once, especially on server mainboards where the data throughput is managed better. At above four times the money it would be hard to justify on the speed gain for anything mundane.

Thanks

SATA uses single bit serial data flow not serial as in multiple drives on one cable. IDE uses paralell data with a drive ID.