Thread: dreambox dm500 NO rs232 comport??

Thanks

Default dreambox dm500 NO rs232 comport??

hi i got this receiver says dreambox dm500
    but inside its a eaglebox says 5105-net-gx1001-m0801with omega sti5105alc chipsetand It dont have the RS232 port
    though i can see the 4 pins
    GND TX RX 3V
    can anyone guide me how to conect to nul cable

LAN is not getting connected
    THANKS

Look Here ->
    Thanks

1. Are you sure it's an ? If its main chip is Omega STA5105 (like uses) then it's not a dreambox and you won't be able to use dreambox firmware with it. The Omega STA5105 is completely incompatible.

2. Those pins aren't RS232, they're CMOS level. To use that port you would need an interface, such as a MAX3232 chip. But even then there's no guarantee the receiver's firmware is designed to allow updates via that port. Chances are it is for updates, but there's a possibility it's just for debugging.

3. If you only just bought it and thought it was a dreambox, return it for a refund.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gw1 View Post
    1. Are you sure it's an ? If its main chip is Omega STA5105 (like uses) then it's not a dreambox and you won't be able to use dreambox firmware with it. The Omega STA5105 is completely incompatible.

2. Those pins aren't RS232, they're CMOS level. To use that port you would need an interface, such as a MAX3232 chip. But even then there's no guarantee the receiver's firmware is designed to allow updates via that port. Chances are it is for updates, but there's a possibility it's just for debugging.

3. If you only just bought it and thought it was a dreambox, return it for a refund.

hi, i got this from china, when it turns on there is dreambox logo
    i am trying attach some phot
    Thanks

Thanks

I'd say it's a (eg 'Bush' brand) which they've repackaged to masquerade as a Dream - it's a fake.

You can disregard the box artwork and startup picture - they are easily faked.

Its is a descendant of used in older receivers from Humax, Strong and many others. It's totally different to the used in DM500 and DM600, thus completely incompatible with Dream images.

Besides the processor difference, it also appears to have insufficient RAM for it to be a Dreambox. I think they've just taken a standard STi5105 , massaged the PCB to fit into DM500 clone cases, and substituted a dream-like background image. Quick, cheap and misleading.

Possibly they've used a third party application stack from someone like (WiPro) to get more advanced features, but more likely they've stuck with the standard ST reference firmware. It doesn't use Linux, but STlite VxWorks. That's way it's able to get away with so little RAM (Linux wasn't designed for embedded applications and needs tons of RAM compared to lean & mean realtime operating systems).

What does its instruction manual look like? Is there a copy online we can see? What operations does the ethernet port support at the moment? (Possibly only firmware updates, with other features "coming soon".) Ask your supplier for the address of the manufacturer's website so you can obtain backup copy of its firmware in case you need it. Seeing that file would confirm whether it's Linux or not. I bet it's not.

By the way, beware that it's designed for a 5V plugpack only. If you try to use the standard Dream DM500 power supply with it you'll blow it up.
    Last edited by gw1; 02-05-09 at 05:04 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gw1 View Post
    I'd say it's a (eg 'Bush' brand) which they've repackaged to masquerade as a Dream - it's a fake.

You can disregard the box artwork and startup picture - they are easily faked.

Its is a descendant of used in older receivers from Humax, Strong and many others. It's totally different to the used in DM500 and DM600, thus completely incompatible with Dream images.

Besides the processor difference, it also appears to have insufficient RAM for it to be a Dreambox. I think they've just taken a standard STi5105 , massaged the PCB to fit into DM500 clone cases, and substituted a dream-like background image. Quick, cheap and misleading.

Possibly they've used a third party application stack from someone like (WiPro) to get more advanced features, but more likely they've stuck with the standard ST reference firmware. It doesn't use Linux, but STlite VxWorks. That's way it's able to get away with so little RAM (Linux wasn't designed for embedded applications and needs tons of RAM compared to lean & mean realtime operating systems).

What does its instruction manual look like? Is there a copy online we can see? What operations does the ethernet port support at the moment? (Possibly only firmware updates, with other features "coming soon".) Ask your supplier for the address of the manufacturer's website so you can obtain backup copy of its firmware in case you need it. Seeing that file would confirm whether it's Linux or not. I bet it's not.

By the way, beware that it's designed for a 5V plugpack only. If you try to use the standard Dream DM500 power supply with it you'll blow it up.
    The menu is chinese

Thanks

Yes, they've just used DM500 clone cases to try and boost sales.
    It's not a dreambox at all.

The distributor you bought it from may not be aware that it's not compatible with DM500 firmware.
    (Many salesmen aren't technical and don't understand much more than average consumers,
    they simply buy and sell what their suppliers promote to them.)
    If he offers reasonable service then he should let you return it because it doesn't do what
    it claims to do - namely, it's not DM500 compatible. Otherwise if it's sufficient for your needs
    with existing firmware just keep it and use it as-is.

They may have an English option selectable under a menu. Or an English firmware version available
    (upgraded via ethernet port, eg using a web interface or telnet commands; they would need to
    supply instructions). But as it's a cheap box it's possible there's no such option for you.

Moral of the story: CLONE BUYERS BEWARE!
    Appearances can be deceiving - it can look identical to a DM500 but not be a dreambox at all!