Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Digital Radio (DAB+) in Australia

Thanks

Cool New Digital Radio (DAB+) in Australia

I went & bought a new Digital Radio (DAB+) this week & think it's good. I live in Melbourne and it's great listening to stations like 3AW, 3MP, SEN in crystal clear sound. If you still listen to AM stations i reckonmend go buy a digital radio DAB+ no more AM interference / static just a clear sound and new extra stations on the digital band.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Digital radio is new to Australia and as such is not available Australia-wide yet.
    Melbourne is one of the first areas to be available.

Information below from

Rollout of digital radio in Australia

Broadcasters in Australia will introduce digital radio services in a progressive manner. Under this approach, digital radio will operate alongside existing analog radio services.

In September 2008 the radio industry announced that it would switch on digital radio services in the five mainland state capitals on May 1 2009. The Australian Government will assist the national and community broadcasters with funding for the roll-out of digital radio in these markets. It is expected that the national broadcasters will begin their services at around the same time as the commercial radio broadcasters.

The first digital radio services will use the world's most widely implemented terrestrial digital radio technology—Digital Audio Broadcasting (DAB). In early 2007, the radio industry announced that it would use the enhanced version of DAB, known as DAB+ (DAB plus). Through its more efficient use of radiocommunications spectrum, DAB+ allows the possibility of both higher audio quality and a greater number of digital radio services.

The legislation provides for the specification of a start date for DAB-based digital radio services in regional markets. However, the DAB+ platform may be unable to replicate the extensive broadcast coverage of some AM services. In this regard, the legislation specifies a review, by 2011, into technologies appropriate for digital radio broadcasting in regional licence areas.

The review will allow consideration of issues such as the availability and price of reception equipment and the coverage characteristics of the various digital radio technologies. In the light of these findings, the review will also consider whether any adjustment to the regulatory framework is necessary.

One technology that will be considered in this review is Digital Radio Mondiale (DRM). At this time, DRM is not widely deployed and only a limited range of consumer receivers are currently manufactured. The Australian Communications and Media Authority has approved a number of technical trials of DRM..

=================================

For more information ncluding a revised "switch-on" timetable, availabliity of services and suitable receivers, go to or do a Google.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Typical media release, long on extolling the wonders of the ages but lacking in specific details.
    Based on the past disinterest of media distributors, I dont think those of us who are more than 50kms from the CBD/metropolitan transmitters will need to worry about DAB or DRM or whatever for quite some years to come.

Thanks

I just wish the price was more affordable.

Adobe.

Thanks

Because they use similar frequencies to TV it is a pitty you can't use your Digital set top box to pick it up and output to your stereo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moof View Post
    Because they use similar frequencies to TV it is a pitty you can't use your Digital set top box to pick it up and output to your stereo

From digitalradioplus.com.au website:

Can I receive digital radio through my digital TV set top box?

Currently we are unaware of a digital TV set top box that will receive DAB+. However, we have been advised that a number of manufacturers are currently working on integrating DAB+ into a digital TV set top box. As new DAB+ products become available they will be featured on the website.
    I'm sure it won't be that far away. Aldi will most likely bundle it with one of their products soon.

Premium Member

Thanks

There are some good articles on DAB+ in Silicon Chip beginning February 2009

Yes, prices are high at present, but they will no doubt fall as sales increase over time.
    The least expensive I've seen is from a Sydney satellite equipment retailer who is advertising a suitable radio for $149.00

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,871 Times in 886 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    There are some good articles on DAB+ in Silicon Chip beginning February 2009

Yes, prices are high at present, but they will no doubt fall as sales increase over time.
    The least expensive I've seen is from a Sydney satellite equipment retailer who is advertising a suitable radio for $149.00
    I bought from avcomm last night

Turns out they were out of stock until two weeks ahead so I cancelled order.
    Last edited by pheggie; 22-05-09 at 01:41 PM.

Banned

Thanks

I ended up buying a DAB+ Tuner rather than a radio with mono speaker.

The MR-2000 is covered by a 2 year warranty. See for warranty conditions.

The MR-2000 can be connected to your sound system via standard RCA connections or a digital coaxial output (44.1 KHz).

Thanks

I can’t wait to get a better DAB+ alarm/radio clock, when DAB+ is available in my area.

It sh*t me to tears that in this day and age, it is impossible to buy a reasonable priced PLL tuner clock radio, with auto search - just go down to your Harvey Normans and have a look, most likely all mechanical.

Majority of manufactures believe a manual capacitive tuner wheel is the leading edge, ducks guts, for this century, and have no foresight into how good it works, as there is frequency drift and static by morning.

And iPod setups are a hassle, having to undocking/dock every day.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 678 Posts

We still have nothing like the Sirius digital satellite radio that the U.S. has had for many years. It makes our "new" DAB radio seem dated already.

My work has been upgrading two of our large SW transmitters to be DRM capable and we're just about to start test broadcasts of DRM to SE Asia in the next few weeks. Pity there'll be hardly anyone with the right equipment to hear us.

Still, the quality is a far cry from the old short-wave "squawk-and-squeal" and we can broadcast text and other information along with the audio. It might breathe a bit of life into the SW radio scene.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Onefella View Post
    We still have nothing like the Sirius digital satellite radio that the U.S. has had for many years. It makes our "new" DAB radio seem dated already.

My work has been upgrading two of our large SW transmitters to be DRM capable and we're just about to start test broadcasts of DRM to SE Asia in the next few weeks. Pity there'll be hardly anyone with the right equipment to hear us.

Still, the quality is a far cry from the old short-wave "squawk-and-squeal" and we can broadcast text and other information along with the audio. It might breathe a bit of life into the SW radio scene.
    Sirius is subscription isn't it? DAB has the advantage that it costs nuffin'.

Pardon my ignorance but what is DRM?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Globe View Post
    Sirius is subscription isn't it? DAB has the advantage that it costs nuffin'.

Pardon my ignorance but what is DRM?

Sirius was great when I had a rental car in the states. Heaps of stations to choose from. I wish we had it here....

DRM = Digital Rights Management ?..... I think this is what Onefella is refering to???

Jumpstart
    Last edited by jumpstart; 26-05-09 at 08:09 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks

If you want a laugh go to your local JB Hifi and ask for a DAB+ car stereo. They had no idear what I was taking about.

Adobe.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 678 Posts

DRM stands for Digital Radio Mondiale a French SW digital radio standard.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Onefella For This Useful Post:

Globe (30-05-09),jumpstart (27-05-09)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

plenty of digital radio via sat......

just press the radio button on the remote....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adobe View Post
    If you want a laugh go to your local JB Hifi and ask for a DAB+ car stereo. They had no idear what I was taking about.

Adobe.
    Try asking this anywhere, the current choice of DAB+ compatible hardware (especially in-dash) is beyond funny.

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nic55 View Post
    Try asking this anywhere, the current choice of DAB+ compatible hardware (especially in-dash) is beyond funny.
    Give it time.

DAB+ technology is new to Australia, and indeed to the world.
    Manufacturer's have to be sure of a large enough market in order to develop and manufacture appropriate products economically and Australia has a relatively small population.

Be aware also, that reception will be limited essentially to "line-of-sight" only, so don't expect to be able to listen to DAB+ broadcasts outside the metropolitan area of capital cities.
    I don't expect that regional areas will be equipped with DAB+ transmission sites for some years to come, especially considering the current economic conditions.

Banned

Thanks

My PC SPDIF input can't detect any co-axial signal coming out of my Maximum MR-2000 DAB+,
    my PC can detect coaxial PCM output from both my DVD players, my Satellite receiver and BluRay Player
    but not the Maximum MR-2000.

I know the Maximum supposed to output 44.1KHz signal I would think it's most likely PCM does anyone have it working
    on an AV-Receiver?

Maximum support say they can't provide any support for PC SPDIF only for AV Receivers. So
    suggest I test it on an AV-receiver but I don't have one and don't want to buy one to find out the
    Maximum is faulty. Would an Oscilloscope verify if the maximum mr-2000 co-axial working or not? What should I see on a scope?

Okay on the scope there is a digital signal coming out of the coaxial on the DAB+ but it's
    2 to 3 times the voltage level of what's coming out of my dvd player and strong satellite box.

Is this a fault or is spdif voltage levels vary a lot?
    Last edited by pheggie; 31-05-09 at 11:07 PM.

Banned

Thanks

Turns out the PC is the problem the Maximum DAB+ works fine with a Yamaha
    AV Receiver I tested.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast