Thread: Imaging Software (Restore Partitions/Drives a basic Tute)

Thanks

Default Imaging Software (Restore Partitions/Drives a basic Tute)

Hi,

Well I thought I'd add my thoughts here. I am not saying this is the best, but I think its a nice little app.

It's called "M acr ium Re flect."

I am adding this as an upload as I have just checked there website and it would look like they are not offering a free version anymore. (This is the free version so its an older version I assume)

I have also created an .iso file as a template for you to add your image too, then burn to dvd. which means all you do is pop in you dvd, boot from dvd and restore your image. (it's called Rescue.iso see mega upload)

All it is is M acr iums, own BOOT CD/DVD that gets created when you choose "Create Rescue CD" Which you can do yourself if you like I am just doing it to save you time.

also from memory there was no way that it would create the rescue DVD and the image together (I may be wrong here as all my images are stored on a network drive)

1) Create YOUR image

Obviously you need to create an image first, so install the program. and create your image on another partition or network drive. (hey you can un-install it once you create the image if you like)

2) Insert YOUR image into Rescue.iso

Open Rescue.iso with UltraISO (or whatever you want to use).

create a dir called oh I dont know lets say "Image", add your recently created image to that dir. and save it as a new .iso file.

Perhaps calling it RescueImage.iso (its up to you what you want to call it). (This now will contain the BOOT portion and YOUR pc image)

Now burn that with whatever you wish to use, UltraIso or Nero perhaps.

3) Restore Image

Ok, things have gone wrong and you would like to restore, well thats simple.

Insert your RescueImage.iso DVD, and boot your machine from CD.

It will do everything for you EXCEPT find the image you want to restore, but once prompted to find said image, click on the D: (whatever drive letter you have as cd/dvd drive) and then click on the directory called "Image" (the one you created above) and click on that image file that you added to the .iso.

after it boots you.
    click next,
    select your cd/dvd drive on the left hand side, select directory called image
    click next,
    click next, and then select the partitions/drives you want to restore.
    click next, and then check "active"
    click next, either check, No Thank you or Yes PLease
    click next, check "Replace with Master Boot Record from backup"
    click next, either check Yes or NO
    click next, then
    click finish

Its not as fast as some so ummm but hey its free and works a treat!

this is just a simple backup system, many allow incremental/automatic etc (as do the paid version for M acr ium) but if you just want to be able to setup your machine, then create an image of it, then have a boot dvd that will restore it when/if things go wrong, in a simple way, for free , this is ok to use.

I have done this for friends that are not into computers and do not want to know everything there is to know about them, they just want to do a simple restore.

could not be simpler and this may/may not help others. If not please ignore this thread.
    (hope i have not left anything out)

I'm not responsible for anything that happens if you do this

1) Template to add your Image too

2) The program to create your image here
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to z1gg33 For This Useful Post:

baseel (18-06-09),cozi (15-07-09),fred121 (14-01-10),johnno02 (18-06-09),OSIRUS (15-07-09),statesmanjeff (02-07-09)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Windows Vista was released with this capability as a built in function.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z1gg33 View Post
    Hi,

Well I thought I'd add my thoughts here. I am not saying this is the best, but I think its a nice little app.

It's called "M acr ium Re flect."

I am adding this as an upload as I have just checked there website and it would look like they are not offering a free version anymore. (This is the free version so its an older version I assume)

I have also created an .iso file as a template for you to add your image too, then burn to dvd. which means all you do is pop in you dvd, boot from dvd and restore your image. (it's called Rescue.iso see mega upload)

All it is is M acr iums, own BOOT CD/DVD that gets created when you choose "Create Rescue CD" Which you can do yourself if you like I am just doing it to save you time.

also from memory there was no way that it would create the rescue DVD and the image together (I may be wrong here as all my images are stored on a network drive)

1) Create YOUR image

Obviously you need to create an image first, so install the program. and create your image on another partition or network drive. (hey you can un-install it once you create the image if you like)

2) Insert YOUR image into Rescue.iso

Open Rescue.iso with UltraISO (or whatever you want to use).

create a dir called oh I dont know lets say "Image", add your recently created image to that dir. and save it as a new .iso file.

Perhaps calling it RescueImage.iso (its up to you what you want to call it). (This now will contain the BOOT portion and YOUR pc image)

Now burn that with whatever you wish to use, UltraIso or Nero perhaps.

3) Restore Image

Ok, things have gone wrong and you would like to restore, well thats simple.

Insert your RescueImage.iso DVD, and boot your machine from CD.

It will do everything for you EXCEPT find the image you want to restore, but once prompted to find said image, click on the D: (whatever drive letter you have as cd/dvd drive) and then click on the directory called "Image" (the one you created above) and click on that image file that you added to the .iso.

after it boots you.
    click next,
    select your cd/dvd drive on the left hand side, select directory called image
    click next,
    click next, and then select the partitions/drives you want to restore.
    click next, and then check "active"
    click next, either check, No Thank you or Yes PLease
    click next, check "Replace with Master Boot Record from backup"
    click next, either check Yes or NO
    click next, then
    click finish

Its not as fast as some so ummm but hey its free and works a treat!

this is just a simple backup system, many allow incremental/automatic etc (as do the paid version for M acr ium) but if you just want to be able to setup your machine, then create an image of it, then have a boot dvd that will restore it when/if things go wrong, in a simple way, for free , this is ok to use.

I have done this for friends that are not into computers and do not want to know everything there is to know about them, they just want to do a simple restore.

could not be simpler and this may/may not help others. If not please ignore this thread.
    (hope i have not left anything out)

I'm not responsible for anything that happens if you do this

1) Template to add your Image too

2) The program to create your image here
    Hi Mate,

As an older member,I DO appreciate your very helpful,and Informative post.

I have the free version also,and was not real sure how to use it.

Although it is still a great learning curve for me.............And,I,ll probably stuff it up somewhere,YOUR efforts,and time,are much appreciated.
    Thanks again.
    John

Thanks

G'day mate
    Thanks for the info and app, I appreciate your efforts to share that with every one here.
    will give you a Thanks for it.
    cheers.

Thanks

sorry not trying to re-hash this post.

but I got a phone call from someone that was trying to do a restore. and it would appear I left out an important fact

that is once you boot the DVD and it gets loaded (the boot portion of the 2 step process) it ejects the dvd (frankly I didn't remember this happening) so obviously it will not see the rescue Image all that is required is that you push the DVD back in (wait 30 seconds) and then find the image on the DVD drive.

just wanted to clear up the confusion (if anyone had any)

ps.. thanks for the thanks.
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.