Thread: Installing a Videoplayer on Tomtom

Thanks
    Thanked 1,796 Times in 862 Posts

Post Installing a Videoplayer on Tomtom

I noticed some ppl are interested in getting the Tomplayer video player onto their device but they don't know how.
    I'm not very good in creating tutorials ,and some of the info's are from WIKI ,but anyway here is a little tutorial..
    (I assume that you use a memory card with a complete Navcore on it not just the map)
    If your Tomtom has not card slot you can to the same steps on your Tomtom device itself:
    Note : without a card slot I would suggest not to use Tomplayer ,because watching movies can put a lot of stress onto your storage device and you can't replace the internal memory once it stops working.
    First download

When you download the package you will have multiple files in the Zip. You want to go into the “distrib” folder and in there you will see two folders: SDKRegistry and tomplayer. Tomplayer is the actual program (as well as the tomplayer.ini)… SDKRegistry is the folder that contains two files that allow you to get the Tomplayer icon on the menu. These two folders need to be copied into the MAIN ROOT of your TomTom or better your SD card. If the SDKRegistry folder already exists on your TomTom card, then just copy the two files INSIDE the SDKRegistry folder contained in the ZIP file, into the SDKRegistry folder in the root of your TomTom SD card.

To do that, you need to use the TomTom as it if was removable media. If you installed “TomTom Home” on your computer when you got your TomTom, stop the service or quit the program. You can do this by just right clicking the TomTom Home icon in your system tray and clicking “exit”.

Once you have your actual files copied into the ROOT of your TomTom SD cardyou should be able to disconnect your TomTom (wait until the TomTom lets you know it is safe to do so) and there should be a 4th page on your menu now, with Tomplayer being the icon that was added. If you DON'T see this… don't move on… you have done something wrong or this guide doesn't apply to you because your TomTom is much newer/older than mine.

If clicking the icon just returns you to the GPS screen, then your Tomplayer.cap file is pointing to the wrong location… the following are instructions on how to edit THAT file (located in the SDKRegistry folder) with notepad:

On the first line is the following string of text:

AppPath|/mnt/sdcard/tomplayer/|

Now, that worked for me as it was, so I didn't need to change that line, but you may need to, for instance, if your TomTom has no SD card slot, you may need to change that line to /mnt/movinand/tomplayer(or the location where you installed Tomplayer). Change it and save those changes and then unplug your TomTom (once safe to do so) and see if the Tomplayer starts when you touch the icon.

Once you do get the icon going, and you can enter tomplayer, then you need to add video/audio files.

If not already existing make two folders in the root directory of your SD card :
    "audio" and "video" - I think you will know which one is for your video files...

s a side note, get the FASTEST SD card you can get, I picked up a x133 and it plays things just fine.

Now… the TomTom is not some super intelligent video player, so don't just find some .AVI video and throw it into the video folder and expect it to play back perfectly. While it might open it may also be the wrong resolution or it may be at too high a bitrate for the poor little TomTom to handle, and it won't scale video to fit the screen. So, CONVERT your video's to something that the TomTom can handle.

The two suggested converters are SUPER and |pocketdivxencoder, linked in the Wiki.

For reference, the two supported video sizes are: 320×240 (for standard displays) -and- 480×272 (for widescreen displays)

That is pretty much it! Audio is audio… MP3 and OGG are supported.

Everyone should be able to get it going... But :
    I know it sounds complicate and if you have no idea how to upgrade your Navcore or map you might ask someone with more experience for help.
    If you own a Go7xx you can also try my fullbackup with Tomplayer,Height,Fuelcontrol and some simple Games included.Navcore 8.14 is installed PW : gsmfree
    If you have suggestions or an easier way to do it let me know so that this tutorial can be updatet!!!
    I'm trying to upload a test video as well and will add the link later...

Here is a file that contains infos on how to get a testmovie -sorry for not posting direct links ,but I think it is better this way.
    It is a movie for kids, I'm not saying the titel ,but it is a cartoon about a delivery service in the future ,with a drinking and stealing robot ,a pizza delivery guy who was frozen for a long time and a pretty stupid professor....
    You got it??
    Last edited by Downunder35m; 08-06-09 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Added a link

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Downunder35m For This Useful Post:

Zbee (13-06-09)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

It seems that the tutorial is a bit too confusing for some users ,therefore I'll try to reduce it to the minimum.
    I recommend to install the player on the memory card - all files in the archive are modified to be used on a card with a full working Navcore installed on it.
    Here is what you have to do after making a proper backup!:

1. Download - no password needed

2. Connect your memory card to the computer - use a card reader or your Tomtom ,but make sure Tomtom Home is not running!!!

3. Open the archive containing the Tomplayer and copy all folders within the "distrib" folder to the root of your card.
    If beeing asked to add/modify files to the folder "SDKRegistry" say yes (- and klick on the ok button as well :biggrin1: )
    Important : copy only the folders ,not the other files like ttsystem,AUTHORS,COPYING,INSTALL,NEWS,README !!

4. If you're not sure if you copied the "ttsystem" too ,use your backup and copy the file back on your card

5. Now you should find the Folders "audio" , "tomplayer" ,"video" and "SDKRegistry" on your memory card - if so you are finnished !

You can copy video files (XVID,DIVX and MPEG2 works ,not so sure about other formats) into the folder "video" or MP3's or OGG's into the folder "audio" and enjoy!

Hint : if you re-encode your video's to the screen size (e.g. 480x272 for the "big screen" models and reduce the bitrate to something between 512 and 768 you get no interruptions during playback and a smaller file size.

Well , there is one minor setback : you can't use the player and navigate at the same time - but I think that should be obvious.

Usage :
    scroll through the menu's on your Tomtom , there will be a page at the end where you can start the player.
    After the start you will see a red screen with Tomplayer logo in the middle.
    Don't wait that something happens - you have to tap on the screen to go on !
    On the next screen you 6 icons.
    Here's a short overview :
    The headphones are to start the MP3 player.
    The flap (not sure if that's the right name) is for watching movies.
    The play button does the same : you can choose if you want musik or video and it starts the first file in the folder.
    The tools are for the settings where you can for example select a skin ,activate the fm-transmitter!! and so on...
    The info button just gives you a nice text scroll with some info's.
    The button with the "X" like exit - well you'll figure that out...
    Tomtom GO730 ,Navcore 9.004 ,Bootloader 5.5256 ,Map :Australia 845.2661
    ttmaps and Tomplayer on 16GB SDHC class6
    Password for all my files: downunder

Thanks

Here is a smaller test movie :

Thanks

working great, whats the password for the first movie btw
    ive only been suspended once...but never banned...yet, but i am working on it...OMG after all these years...i am a paytv forum troll....erk
    ok i have, a phillips screwdriver, a sidchrome socket set, life time supply of condoms, lotsa old programers, an old nokia, season interface...even a pace 400....does this make me look better than DJmatt? oh i was also a "auspink" beta tester!...but apart from that i look great in suspenders

Thanks

Sorry for that !!
    Don't know why I forgot to mention the Password :

downunder

should do the trick!

Thanks

ta muchly
    ive only been suspended once...but never banned...yet, but i am working on it...OMG after all these years...i am a paytv forum troll....erk
    ok i have, a phillips screwdriver, a sidchrome socket set, life time supply of condoms, lotsa old programers, an old nokia, season interface...even a pace 400....does this make me look better than DJmatt? oh i was also a "auspink" beta tester!...but apart from that i look great in suspenders

Thanks

Sorry, but the link to download Tomplayer is no longer active. Can someone upload it? Thank you!

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Did you happen to notice the dates of the above posts?

Thanks

@ WhiteOx, yes, I saw that they are old, but I could not find a download link to TomPlayer anywhere else. Can you please advise where I can find it?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Veskoy View Post
    Can you please advise where I can find it?