Thread: TomTom One 3rd Edition Memory expansion

Thanks

Default TomTom One 3rd Edition Memory expansion

Hi
    I think I have discovered an easy way to increase the accessable memory capacity of an Australian TomTom One 3rd Edition.
    The underside of my unit says it is a "TomTom ONE 3rd Edition (1GB) (4N01.002)" however TomTom Home and Windows Explorer both showed it only had 512KB of ram.
    Further research on the TomTom site indicated that this model had 512KB or 1GB of memory depending on the map supplied with the unit.
    I assumed that because mine had the relatively small Australia map loaded that it only had 512KB of ram.
    Not quite so!
    I recently did an upgrade to my software, and of course did a full backup of the original software using Windows Explorer, then I deleted all the original software on the unit: After this Explorer still reported 512KB.

With nothing to lose I used Windows Explorer to format the unit as Fat32, even though this device does not have an SD card.
    Well I was happily surprised: Now the unit is reported as 1GB.

Well, aint that a quick way of doubling ram!

Hopefully this may be of use to some with so called 512MB units
    Mike

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,796 Times in 862 Posts

Other users have formatted their devices as well but with no increase in memory.
    The memory is phyically not virtual - therefore a simple format won't make it "bigger".
    Tomtom even tells customers with massive problems in regards to the Navcore or missing files to format the unit and redownload everything using TT Home - so that would be a pretty dumb way of showing customers that they can "upgrade the internal memory".

But anyway I'm happy for you that you got a bigger unit except for the fact that it still only has 32mb usable ram for applications and maps.
    The other mamory is a flash memory...
    Tomtom GO730 ,Navcore 9.004 ,Bootloader 5.5256 ,Map :Australia 845.2661
    ttmaps and Tomplayer on 16GB SDHC class6
    Password for all my files: downunder

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Downunder35m View Post
    Other users have formatted their devices as well but with no increase in memory.
    The memory is phyically not virtual - therefore a simple format won't make it "bigger".
    Tomtom even tells customers with massive problems in regards to the Navcore or missing files to format the unit and redownload everything using TT Home - so that would be a pretty dumb way of showing customers that they can "upgrade the internal memory".

But anyway I'm happy for you that you got a bigger unit except for the fact that it still only has 32mb usable ram for applications and maps.
    The other mamory is a flash memory...
    While I bow to your knowledge of TomToms Downunder, and I have learnt a lot from your postings and others on this board, I can only report what I have done, and the results achieved. I suggest that others with the same model as mine can try for themselves, after doing a backup with their favourite system browser of course.

There are a couple of other comments that may help: Although I am a relative newbie to TomToms I have some knowledge of computers, of which the TomTom is a good example of a tailored use application. I am aware that the memory in the TomTom is physical and not logical, but I am not convinced that TomTom bother in their manufacturing process to build a unit with a 512MB memory chip for the Australian market, and the same unit with a 1GB chip for the European market to accommodate their larger maps. (I am also sure someone will correct me if I am wrong here). I think they use the same chip in both units, and manipulate the "available" memory with software.
    Some may be aware that many computer manufacturers (Dell, Asus, Acer etc.) reserve space on a system disk drive for recovery software. This space is NOT visible to the general user, either with Windows Explorer or other System Browsers. One needs a disk partitioning tool such as Partition Magic to be able to "see" the hidden partition. I think that TomTom, for whatever reason, reserve part of the storage space. Bear in mind that Windows Explorer "sees" the memory as a connected disk drive so it is quite easy to reserve hidden space on the drive. This may sound strange, but perhaps TomTom don't want us to put larger maps on the Australian units: They make more money if we need to buy a different unit to go touring Europe.
    This is a long explanation of how a simple format can indeed increase the "visible" memory space: The file system is formatted as a FAT32 disk so all the disk format and control functions are possible!

If, as you say, TomTom tell a user reparing a major failure to format and download everything using TomTom home, don't forget that they are re-installing the original system with the same memory control as before, so I think quite the opposite to TomTom being dumb; I think they are quite smart as they restore the original system with all it's limitations.

My TomTom does indeed have only 32MB of "system" memory, but I think you may have it backwards. I have plenty of ram to store my maps! The 32MB in my unit is the "Flash" memory where the boot system (similar to BIOS) is actually installed. The "accessible" RAM, in my case now 1GB, is used to store the maps, navcore, latest system version (which is automatically updated to the flash memory at bootup) and so on.

I am currently using Navcore 8.204.9718 with system version 5.5022 (thanks to tuurtje) and the "latest" Australian map 830.2352, and my TomTom system and Windows explorer both say I have a capacity of 975MB with 805MB free! Now that is a lot more RAM than I started with!!

My TomTom One 3rd Edition, model 4N01.002 has printed on it 1GB but it only ever showed that it had 512MB: Now it shows on TomTom home and Windows Explorer as ~ 1GB!

I can only say that others with the same or similar units might like to try formatting their devices (after doing a full Windows Explorer or similar backup) and try for themselves to see if they can increase the "visible" memory!
    As usual "caveat emptor"
    Mike

• The Following User Says Thank You to highcam For This Useful Post:

Downunder35m (18-07-09)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,796 Times in 862 Posts

Ahhh ,that might be the big differnce :
    If on your unit 1GB is printed than indeed it should be a 1GB model.
    I tried your trick on my GO because you get in 1and2GB ,but it stayed on 1GB - and I've tried several ways to format and delete the internal memory.
    On one side it makes sense to limit the Australian models to 512mb because you don't need more ,especially if on your original Navcore no MP3 player is installed.
    Thanks for correcting me!
    I must have been sleeping already last time - otherwise I would have noticed the (1GB) earlier.
    In that case it is of course possible to acces the full memory of 1GB.
    Again my apologies!
    Tomtom GO730 ,Navcore 9.004 ,Bootloader 5.5256 ,Map :Australia 845.2661
    ttmaps and Tomplayer on 16GB SDHC class6
    Password for all my files: downunder

Thanks

Hello,

It is possible to add memory :

Jean-Claude

Thanks

Hi

Yes, it is possible to add memory to a V3 (reader and miniSD 2GB), I made this change on a v3.
    it's not very difficult

Code:
     http://bemoltronic.blog4ever.com/blog/forum_msg-331413-93402-207089.html
    Best regards
    Last edited by bemol; 09-08-09 at 05:59 PM.
    Dm7020, ERSA IR station, binocular microscope, etc.....
    http://bemoltronic.blog4ever.com/blog/forum-331413.html

Thanks

Default tt oe 3rd edition memory expansion 1gb ?!!??

Quote Originally Posted by bemol View Post
    Hi

Yes, it is possible to add memory to a V3 (reader and miniSD 2GB), I made this change on a v3.
    it's not very difficult

Code:
     http://bemoltronic.blog4ever.com/blog/forum_msg-331413-93402-207089.html
    Best regards
    Hi! Please can you send me a wiring diagram ?! I have one but don't work.
    Thanck you very much.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

This thread is over 5 years old and bemol has not visited this site for over 4 years.

Thanks

S i m p l e s

Thanks

Default Oh no !

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    This thread is over 5 years old and bemol has not visited this site for over 4 years.
    I see...bad news. My Tomtom have not the same configuration diagram (scheme)...so I must let it be (John Lennon).

Thanks

Default Tomtom SD memory

Quote Originally Posted by biggerdave View Post

THANKYOU...mate. Resolved the mystery !!!
    " Version 4 and the latest versions of 3 cannot have memory added because they lack the pins needed for soldering the SD card adaptor.
    Read more : ".
    Last edited by hd88alx; 12-11-14 at 04:47 AM.