Thanks

errrrrr
    I dont think so tim...

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,871 Times in 886 Posts

[QUOTE=Padre;17819]errrrrr
    I dont think so tim...

They've sold out of most now had dozens of titles available earlier today.

You have to select sort low to highest all the Universal titles were reduced to $9.95
    doesn't mean others won't go on sale soon. Keep an eye on them.

See
    for confirmation and what was offering.

Thanks

Hi,

Both HD and blu-ray formats will be dead soon.

sales of both formats are dismal at best

really who is going to pay $50 for a movie?

machine

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by machine View Post
    Hi,

machine
    U serious?

dude, they KNOW early adopters have the cash to burn and the instant wow factor is whats keeping prices high.

I agree that BD prices for old movies are an absolute rort, but prices will come down eventualy... i remember DVD movies were 80bux a pop when they were first released.. blank discs were 40bux...

In addition, there is no need to "upgrade" an SD movie to HD unless HD has some value added content.
    Most of the time, BD ad HD DVD players have some pretty incredible scaling routines, and an upscaled DVD will be compariable to a "remastered" movie released on BD

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,871 Times in 886 Posts

I agree I wouldn't buy an old movie on BD either.

Keep an eye on
    as they haven't had their hd-dvd sale yet. Bound to happen soon.
    They've still got stock it seems.

Thanks

well i bought Fugutive on BD for 18bux... i sw it on the shelves for 8 on SD DVD.. i dont mind paying a lil extra, but im not about to pay 50bux for a remastererd early 90's release which was shot on the wrong film stock for projection as opposed this kind of resolution pixel punching resolution.
    Like i said, most HD DVD or BD players have some prety nifty upscaling options and compared to our resolutions HERE, they wouldnt be half bad..

consider 720x576 up to 1280x720... thats betwen 200 to 500 lines, which really isnt much more.... and yes it DOES look good...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by machine View Post
    Hi,

machine
    hmmm, I dont think so. Blu-Ray now has no competition + the sale of PS3's only strengthens the formats existance :P

Stupid Sony Wins again.

Format Wars: Microsoft withdraws from HD-DVD

Following the recent announcement by Toshiba, stating that the manufacturer will wind down production of HD-DVDs, and several subsequent statements from Hollywood studios and retailers, it should be no surprise that Microsoft will also be withdrawing from the market.

In a prepared statement, MS have announced their HD-DVD player will no longer be made - but stress that product and warranty support for the peripheral will still be provided.

Read on for the full announcement.

Does anyone know the reason why toshiba backed out?
    Engineering Parts for CNC Builds Stepper Motors, Switching Power Supplies

Thanks

toshiba wanted to back out in 2005... it was MS that made a million promises and failed to deliver....
    Through 2005, Toshiba continued to struggle with HD-DVD. The components required to render HD video and display Microsoft’s HDi were similar to a low-end PC, and cost roughly $675 just for the bill of materials. That left Toshiba with a major hardware loss when trying to sell the players at a $500 consumer price target. The company was ready to drop HD-DVD that year and join the Blu-Ray consortium, but Microsoft pushed it to continue.

this was about VC1 and HDi allowing them to reclaim a bit of their empirical stature in the CE and IT industry.

As for "stupid Sony" consider the fact that they own over 1500 patents for MPG.... basically, what youre seeing on DVD's today is owned by them...
    Its not about stupid this or that, thats not the point.. if it wasnt for sony, it would have been someone else.. and frankly, id rather have my license fees go to sony and not MS... At least sony innovate and dont immitate.

Thats just me.. Some people are anti anyone big, and im not saying you are, Im jstu saying that this "anti sony" sentiment is a bit rich nsidering that weve all been paying them for over a decade to watch DVD's
    This is no different
    Youll eventaullyhave your bargain basement players and movie, youll eventually find spindles of burnable BD's
    In 2 to 3 years, this furore over "sony winning" will be forgotten.

Lets face it, BD was a technically superior format. Not only offered higher storage capacities, but also bandwidth. in turn allowing for higher mbps encodes of the same data as found on HD DVD.
    Consider that most HD content is in MPG2 format, what was on HD DVD at 12 to 15mbps could easily stream on BD at twice that (up to 35mbps)

Sony is a corporation. Big business. But they also put ALOT of time and energy into their R&D, which is why theyre the biggest manufacturer of broadcast and cinema cameras, codecs, and hardware.
    With this technology they eventually bring it to the consumer.. they always have. This R&D isnt somethng they just think up.

"oh hey, Toshiba are bring out HD DVD, lets try to compete... "
    More likely, its "Toshiba are bringing out consumer HD... were alrady working on XDCam and XDCam HD which we know works... lets see what we can do with it and integrate it into somethign were planing on offering in the future, like the PS3... "

Now, considering the fact that DVD wouldnt be where it is today without the PS2, then more than likely BD will be injected into consumer homes in much a similar way.
    Once PS3 hits below teh $500 mark, and then floats on the 350 to 400 mark, then and only then will we start to see a major dorp in BD movie prices.
    At the moment, market share is not very big, hence the high prices, but I dont like the idea of paying premium for an ancient movie.
    But, at least now i have the choice...

As for HD DVD and BD, I can only say that Sony didnt start any fights. They let the studios decide, based on the information provided.
    MS threw cash in the faces of the studios hoping ot win votes, pushing and adding prssure to studios who really wantd to go both ways. There was no reason for them NOT to go both ways, but studio execs being what they are, had many a backyard deal made and ended up gluing themselves to a format.
    This was the DUMBEST thing they could have done, as they restrict their product to one side segregated potentailly half their business.
    Put it this way, Its like being a mechanic who only knows how to fix one car....

This is what the studios did, and this is what theyre left with.
    to be honest, i see Downloadable content to eventaully rule roost, however until ADSL prices come down and user limitations are lifted, only then will that begin to make an impact.