Thread: Ness D16.. Dead?

Thanks

Default Ness D16.. Dead?

Came home tonight to find my navigator touchscreen on the "synchronizing system data" splash screen constantly emitting a steady beep,

Powered down the system, and when powering up the keypad goes into "demo mode" and the heartbeat led flashes 7 times, then goes off and the panel makes a click noise, and repeats?

It's currently 38 degrees in WA. Any ideas?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I'm not overly familiar with the D16 but the click has almost gotta be the dialler, is the system monitored? If so, is the control room receiving anything? If you've power cycled it and that hasn't cleared the fault I'd next be seeing if defaulting the panel will clear the fault... or, do you have a standard codepad to try in place of the touchscreen? Being 38º shouldn't be a problem, well not unless the panel is inside the ceiling space I suppose.

Thanks

No, the control room hasn't received comms since Christmas Eve.

We only have the touchscreen codepad. The ness heartbeat LED on the panel is flasing 7-10 times, then going off then doing it over again

Thanks

Power it down, disconnect all powered devices, sirens and strobes. Only leaving the keypad connected and power it back up on either AC or battery see if that works. If so a connected device is causing the problem if not I would say the board has packed it in

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thistlewedge View Post
    I'm not overly familiar with the D16 but the click has almost gotta be the dialler.
    Having just re-read my own message I should clarify that what I meant when I mentioned the dialler, the 'click' you said came from the panel could be the dialler calling the monitoring centre. As the other chap suggested, disconnect everything except your keypad (except your zones, rarely would a device connected to a zone input be dragging the system down) and see how it powers up after that. If it's ok, power down again and reconnect your other devices one at a time until you find what's causing the fault. Though to be honest, I think the problem is far more likely to reside in either the mother board ot the keypad.

For interests sake let us know how you go?

Thanks

The system has all wireless detectors.

The main panel is in the bedroom robe with the codepad on the bedroom wall. the only hardwired connectons are

External Siren / Strobe
    Internal Screamer
    The Wireless Module (for detectors)

All zones are sealed with 2.2k Resistors and the panel tamper of course.

I will try isolating both sirens and wireless module later. I am thinking it's a PCB problem as the "heartbeat" LED is acting strangely.

I think the panel may have had a voltage problem (causing the system to lockup and crash the codepad) But that was resolved weeks ago.....

Thanks

It's not likely to be your internal or external siren / strobe, they're not likely cause the symptoms you've described. It's not sounding like it's your receiver either unless it's drawing too much current I suppose it could drag the mother board down, I don't know how teh D8 responds to overdraw of currrent. I'd say 99% it's your mother board or codepad. Did any of this happen to coincide with the recent electrical storms that have been going around?

Thanks

we all know Ness and storms should never be combined. Tick tick tick

Thanks

I have open/close reports and my monitoring company will send me an email when certain codes arm and disarm.

I didin't get the usual "cleaner has armed system" on Thursday. When i came home the codepad was on the "connecting to panel" splash-screen and emitting a long steady beep.

To stop the beep i had to power down the system. When powering up it says "waiting to syncronise with panel"

the ness "heartbeat" LED usually just flashes away, now its flashing 7 times, stopping for about 3 seconds, and then repeats.

I'm thinking a dodgy PCB!

Banned
    Thanks

I'm thinking your right

Thanks

I'll be contacting Ness during the week. This is a DIY that was installed by myself.

Does anyone know any perth based Techs that would be willing to have a look over at the system, maybe run a few new wires?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by decemberrain View Post
    I'll be contacting Ness during the week. This is a DIY that was installed by myself.

Does anyone know any perth based Techs that would be willing to have a look over at the system, maybe run a few new wires?
    Contact the Perth office (08 9328 2511), They should be able to give you a list of names of installers in your area.

Thanks

What are in Perth are you in? I am in Perth but have recently stopped using Ness. still have a few out there with no problems yet...

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Took the PCB to ness, has it tested it was working fine. Connected it back up and working perfectly. One of those odd things i guess.

Meanwhile, who's hooked up with ness a/i comms?

Thanks

Seen this twice it goes into demo when it cant communicate with the board. 1st job was the PCB second Job it was a matter of resetting. Yes i use icomms its not bad.
    Cheers Mick
    Licensed security installer

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Thanks

FYI this issue is because the panel was starting up slightly slower than the D8/D16.
    Simple fix is to unplug power to the touchscreen, then plug it back in, and it will start up in normal operating mode

If you want info on the a/i app for D8, call our office on 9328 2511