Thread: The beginning?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Default The beginning?

Of the end? Looks like Foxtel is going to upgrade their network to run on orange cards only going by this post!

.......Leroy
    Last edited by LeroyPatrol; 26-09-09 at 10:55 AM.
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Well I think it has been obvious that is they want.

Just like the really only want people using IQ's, not other decoders. They have just been letting them get replaced by natural attrition.

There has always been the possibility that they will do a card replace - as long as we can get firmware that allows entry of a legit IQ box number, we're ok for the next 'generation' at least.
    * Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by Alien, a Terminator, and the Predator.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,964 Times in 9,060 Posts

I signed a 2 year contract for the full package (platinum?), so it will depend on the price of that for me, not the basic package. But if mine goes up that much they can stick it.

Cheers
    enf
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

cabken (27-09-09)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

The post is also purely speculation. And if they want everyone to have IQ's , why are they running a " 2 for 1 " offer on standard boxes ?

Thanks

I think they are playing the politics games & this is a deliberate leak to see customer reaction, If there is no reaction then it will probably happen with some degreee of change to whats been released. My thoughts only here.

Thanks

imho... Foxtel prices are ridiculous ... mate how much is Sky Uk or Sky It ? Dish TV Usa ?? all of them are cheaper and offer more ... so unless Foxtel gets their head kicked in by a strong competitor ( sorry guys but Select is still small ) we will have to pay their price... hoping there will be a different paytv provider entering australia just to make Foxtel lower their prices.
    2.3m motorized C-band mesh , 95 cm motorized Ku dish on a DM8000HD make that IQ2 since 11/11/11
    C-band : from Telstar 10 to Intelsat 2
    Ku-band: fron NSS 6 to Intelsat 701

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pit5bul View Post
    hoping there will be a different paytv provider entering australia just to make Foxtel lower their prices.
    Not much hope of that happening, there just isn't the consumer base for that in oz. Best to hope for would be selectv to become stronger, but without the price hikes as well

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by efab View Post
    Best to hope for would be selectv to become stronger, but without the price hikes as well
    I'd like to see Select get bigger & more competitve but the problem is the content, without the sports it will be difficult.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Sanity, I can understand the '2 for 1' offer because NO official change in policy has been made by Foxtel yet, as this is all rumour and supposition just at the moment.
    I saw an Austar cardboard kiosk locally this week and he was signing up new customers and I will bet that it was for their current service with not one word said about what MAY be offered during the next 3 months.
    I can see why the changeover to the IQ for new customers as it would 'Future Proof' the home installations for some considerable time and rationalise costs when buying stb's etc.
    The increase in cost will probably hurt them for a short time with some cancelling their service but as happens after the dust has settled, some will come back and new ones who didnt know the old prices, will sign up.
    You can bet this has all been factored in the descision when they considerer increasing any fees.

I am curious to see how Austar is going to handle this, particularly the costs for both extra cabling,switch/splitters and of course buying Mystar stb's.
    Even those of us with more than one stb, unless we (the customer, at whose expense?),run the extra cable needed for Mystar, they will have to send someone out, and that is more cost.
    As Efb rightly points out, there is bugger all chance of other players entering the PayTV market because our population cant support it.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 26-09-09 at 02:15 PM.