Thread: Solution 8 EDM Alarm - I need help de-commissioning!

Thanks

Default Solution 8 EDM Alarm - I need help de-commissioning!

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and just found you by googling late at night, I'm really hoping someone can help me

I inherited an old EDM Solution 8 CP3 alarm system which we have never armed as our house is pretty secure, and the thing didn't seem to work. Until recently when it has been triggered in the early hours (always between 2 and 6am). I should point out that the unit is in it's disarmed state, but for no apparent reason the outside siren goes off and the unit flashes Zone 8. I key in the code + HOME a couple of times and it shuts up. Sometimes not for long, sometimes for days. It is driving us mad!

As far as I know it is only connected to 2 PIR's and I guess the front door, so I have no idea where Zone 8 is.

I also have no idea where the battery is, as I had hoped that as it was so old the battery may be on it's way out, but when I disconnect it from the mains it bleeps for at least 12 hours (the most myself or my dog can stand)!

I have downloaded both the user and installer manual but can't really make head nor tail of it (despite working in IT ).

All I want to do is de-commission it, or at the very least, disable the external siren so that we can get a good nights sleep without having to pay fortune for someone to come and cut a wire for us!

BTW keying 2580 AWAY doesn't work, although keying 2580 HOME does seem to do something (lights flash, things bleep).

Thanks in advance for any advice, even if it is just 'call someone'

Cheers,

Mat

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks

Cool

If there are only two PIRs & it is zone 8 that is triggering then you will probably find that zone 8 is a tamper zone. It could be the panel tamper , the external siren box tamper or it could be both. I'm guessing it is the external siren box tamper. Moisture often gets in the switch & causes corrosion & false alarms. If the box is WELL out of reach it could be discarded , otherwise replace the switch.

Thanks

Thanks watchdog. That figures - the box is looking pretty rusty. It is accessible but to be honest as we don't use the alarm I think it best just to de-commission.

Could anyone recommend an installer to do this? I'm in the Surry Hills/Darlinghurst area of Sydney. I'm guessing that if you know the control panel this is pretty easy (ie quick & cheap) to do?

Thanks.

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

Just locate the control panel (not the codepad) open it up & remove battery leads.Find the plugpack (which may be close by) & unplug. That's it.

Thanks

Sorry for the ignorance but what does the control panel look like (ie what kinda size we talking) - I know where the plug pack is but there doesn't seem to be any unidentified objects nearby. Am I looking for shoebox size or matchbox size? Could it be in the ceiling cavity (along with the halogen transformers)?

If I follow the leads from the plug pack will that give me an indication?

Thank you!

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

A grey metal box about 12" wide 10" high & 2.5" deep. Two screws on the front. sirens may go off when you open it if the tamper has been wired. The panel may be in the ceiling & yes you could follow any of the cabling to get to it

Thanks

Beauty! It must be in the ceiling cavity as I would have noticed it before. I'll have a look for it tonight. Thanks very much for your help

Mat.

Thanks

Cheers Watchdog!

After a mere 30 mins of searching the house I found the unit behind the built-in wardrobes, felt like a bomb disposal expert removing the red wire

All worked out, and tonight I'll sleep sound in the knowledge it ain't going to go off!

Thanks for you help,

Mat.

Thanks

Default hello edm owner

Quote Originally Posted by mat_tyrrell View Post
    Cheers Watchdog!

After a mere 30 mins of searching the house I found the unit behind the built-in wardrobes, felt like a bomb disposal expert removing the red wire

All worked out, and tonight I'll sleep sound in the knowledge it ain't going to go off!

Thanks for you help,

Mat.
    do you still have this edm panel and do you want to part with it?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

This thread is 6 years old and the OP hasn't visited the site since then.