Thread: AUSTAR announces new lne up, channel changes and charges.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default AUSTAR announces new lne up, channel changes and charges.

I received the November printed Austar Guide today and enclosed is all their line up starting from Nov 15.
    I wont post the new line up here but it should be available on the Austar web site.
    All the new SD channels will be available to all customers untill the 29th of November.
    After that is a fee increase of about $5 a month if I have read it correctly.
    But there is also the announcement that a fee increase will occur in February 2010 along with a new customer aggreement.
    They also want to charge a 'One Off' $100 HD activation fee which I think is a bit rude just to press a button.
    At the moment I am not clear just what channels are exclusively HD and what are available as both SD and HD.
    From what I gather NO Austar customer has a Mystar2 now and they wont start distributing it untill after Nov 15th.
    I am sure there is more to be read in the fine print but that should do for now.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 22-10-09 at 01:46 PM.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

There will be no increase until Feb 2010 for existing customers,

All HD channels, excpt ESPN HD are available in SD version. (ESPN HD has different content to ESPN SD)

Austar website states there will be no Mystar HD installation fee to existing subscribers, only new subscribers.
    Last edited by earlsdon; 22-10-09 at 03:26 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by earlsdon View Post
    All HD channels, excpt ESPN HD are available in SD version. (ESPN HD has different content to ESPN SD)
    NatGeoHD, DiscHD, BBC/UKTVHD, ESPNHD all have different programming to the SD channel, the others are simulcast.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davmel View Post
    NatGeoHD, DiscHD, BBC/UKTVHD, ESPNHD all have different programming to the SD channel, the others are simulcast.
    According to Austar MAg - UKTV HD has the same content as UKTV SD

Austar have not included Nat Geo HD or Discovery HD in the Austar line-up
    Last edited by earlsdon; 22-10-09 at 05:07 PM. Reason: correction

Thanks

According to Austar MAg - UKTV HD has the same content as UKTV SD
    UKTVHD is just a renamed BBC HD and it has a completely different programming schedule from UKTV the sensibly shows only HD programming from the BBC. Since Austar doesn't have BBC HD I doubt they know what they are talking about and would be seriously pissed if we no longer get 24/7 HD BBC programming.

Thanks

I think you might end up being seriously pissed off................ BBC are on an economy drive after purchasing UKTV

Thanks

I think you might end up being seriously pissed off................ BBC are on an economy drive after purchasing UKTV
    But Foxtel compiles all the programming on BBC HD from their own HD tape library that the BBC has sent them so there is no reason to stop doing that.

Premium Member

Thanks

Today the operator at Austar told me that if I decide to go for a Mystar2, there is a $100 One Off administration fee to go HD.
    NOTE, Administration, NOT installation but a fee is a bloody fee no matter what hat it wears.
    The operator knew I was an Austar customer and she stated TWICE there would be a $100 one off fee to go HD, ie Mystar2.
    I have a dual LNB and the multiswitching box for the 3 STB's but I do need another cable from that to a Mystar2 if I get it but that was nothing to do with this 'One OFF' fee which she said was to go to HD.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 22-10-09 at 08:49 PM.

Thanks

I have just finished on the phone with Austar and I can confirm that the only unique HD channel at this stage will be ESPN HD, all other HD are simulcast of SD channels. (There are no plans at this stage to include Nat GEO HD and Discovery HD)

No mention of an administation fee was made when they originally took my HD upgrade order and I know when HD was initially announced a few weeks ago the Austar website stated there would be no charge for existing subscribers to upgrade - that is why I ordered the upgrade to HD

As a result of the fee I have canceled my order for 2 Mystar HD units because I am not prepared to pay the $100

I do not need Austar to wire up for the Mystar - all my wring is already in place (Dual LNB and 8 way multiswitch).

Every other Austar subscriber should do the same then Austar will end up dropping the administration fee
    Last edited by earlsdon; 23-10-09 at 09:22 AM.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to earlsdon For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (23-10-09),gw1 (23-10-09),kevin1341 (24-10-09)

Thanks

I have just finished on the phone with Austar and I can confirm that the only unique HD channel at this stage will be ESPN HD, all other HD are simulcast of SD channels. (There are no plans at this stage to include Nat GEO HD and Discovery HD)
    So an Austar drone told you this? The same drone that tells everyone there is nothing wrong with the MyStar?

It's pretty obvious that the HD versions of ESPN/NatGeo/Disc will stay different because Foxtel don't control the different HD feeds of each.
    But it looks like Austar might have been the cause of the loss of 24/7 HD programming on the upcoming UKTVHD channel. Now we'll have to put up with more ads thanks to the politics of crapstar.

Every other Austar subscriber should do the same then Austar will end up dropping the administration fee
    LOL. They're not going to drop the fee until the substantial extra cost of the MyStar comes down considerably. It's the same reason Foxtel still charges $200 admin fee to cover the huge extra cost of the 4 tuner box compared to the normal IQ.
    The primary reason for it is to offset the high capital cost but it has the bonus of reducing churn as you lose that investment if you cancel.

Thanks

BTW Austar will be charging $19.95/Month for the new Mystar2 box.

Thanks

Does anyone know what connections are available in the Mystar 2 box. How many HDMI, component,composite?
    Geoff

Premium Member

Thanks

Earlsdon, thats what I was told when I asked if the HD/SD channels were identical programing.
    ESPN is the only standalone channel which no one on Austar can see as no one has a Mystar2 HD stb.
    I dont take the Sports package now so ESPN is of no interest to me either.
    As I asked before, who in their right mind would fund what ever it costs (Foxtell quoted $50 Mill) to introduce the new Mystar2 STB's based on Austars earnings over the years ?
    So I guess even a $100 cash from each customer might help make the investment more viable.
    My next question is the add-on packages and what is HD and what is SD and if I stay SD, do I get a reduction on the package if any of channels on it are HD only?
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 23-10-09 at 05:19 PM.

Thanks

The only unique channel to be on Austar HD in November will be ESPN HD - so I don' see the point in subscribing to their HD package - I am quite happy with the the picture quality of existing SD channels.

I feed the Austar output via my Panasonic HD DMR XW300 then use the Panasonic HDMI output to my Plasma - it may noit be as good as one can get from true HD - but the picture quality is still very good (the picture quality is not as good if I feed it via the Panasonic AV output and of course the RF is very second rate - Somehow or other, the HDMI makes a big difference compared to the AV - even though it only has the same output from the Austar box to work with)

The Panasonic also allows me to record what I want, although I can't watch a second Austar channel at the same time as I coould with the Mystar.

If Austar ever get around to including good quality unique HD channels then I might consider their HD option.

Premium Member

Thanks

Earlsdon, I couldnt agree with you more on that.
    I have long held the view that most people cant tell the difference between SD, HD, VD, IUD or KY gel.
    If your lucky enough to have a proper Bells and Whistles home theatre system Yes, you could see and hear the difference but regretably most of us dont have that so what is current is acceptable.
    That and the $100 ADMINISTRATION fee of course.
    Austar may be taking a leaf out of other companies money grabbing tricks like the electricty/gas/water charging for the supply of their services and now for the priviledge of having a meter and for someone to read it.
    Whats the guess that what used to be the basic pack that included the STB will now be broken into individual charges like the basic package cost ($42) PLUS the STB, be it a SD ($10) , Mystar 1 ($14.95) or 2 ($19.95) per month ?
    Dont forget the extra $5 a month for HD access.
    By breaking it into individual components, fees can be varied much more easily.

When I first started this thread, I wasnt aware that the Austar Monthly printed guide listed all the new channels and content after November 15 as I hadnt looked beyond the pages containing the presentations of the new channels.
    Thats why I asked those questions the regarding SD/HD programing similarities as I really didnt expect the guide to be set up in that manner.