Thread: Selectv left behind

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,871 Times in 886 Posts

Default Selectv left behind

With all these changes on D3 I hope Selectv feel obligated to do something
    new like add Starpics and FMC, ideally HD too but even SD would be nice.
    I'd pay up to ten dollars more.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pheggie View Post
    I'd pay up to ten dollars more.
    Somebody should gag you.

Im not happy paying $10 more, but i am prepared to buy my own HD receiver and possibly pay $5 more at best.

If they cant pick up their act and give their customers a picture worth watching on a large screen tv they will be quickly left behind.

ATM the picture is shyat on my plasmas, its a waste of the tv's potential.

Banned

Thanks

Movie One doesn't look too shabby through HDMI on a Strong 4910 PVR
    but it didn't work well with a Seagate Freeagent 500GB. Much better
    with an old 320GB, but still tempermental sometimes

Youll Never Never Know If You Never Ever GO
    Thanks

Default Only a Pipe Dream

Hi Pheggie,

I would not hold my breath on that. SelecTV just don't have the customer base to Justify that sort of expense. and as to paying extra for SelecTV will not work. From the beginning of this year SelecTV has had aprox 4 to 5 price increases on there packages across the board. They have also Removed Chanels while adding crappy ones.

Best Regards,

Dishnit

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    Somebody should gag you.

Im not happy paying $10 more, but i am prepared to buy my own HD receiver and possibly pay $5 more at best.

If they cant pick up their act and give their customers a picture worth watching on a large screen tv they will be quickly left behind.

ATM the picture is shyat on my plasmas, its a waste of the tv's potential.
    Hopefully Movie One HD will be downconverted for Movie One SD so picture
    quality might improve soon.

Thanks

Default The SelectTV Blues

With SelecTV You can only live in hope for another price increase and give us nothing in return.it is not in my interest to promote or to bad mouth any Carrier,But They Suck!!!!

Premium Member
    Thanks

This afternoon on Animal Planet there was an advert for the new series of Deadliest Catch. To my dismay, it was an add for Discovery Channel, which is on foxtel and austar, not select tv. What a nuiscance. I too have a plasma and would like to use it to its full potential. On select tv it is rather ordinary. Big difference between this and SD FTA, let alone HD FTA.

1) When will select tv add more content and/or upgrade to SD/HD?
    2) In the US on Dish Network, there are over 290 channels, which includes local channels and over 140 of these are HD. Monthly fees are $88US. Foxtel can't beat this. So why can't select tv do a deal with Dish Network and have some of their channels in their line up. Taking foxtel out of the equation.
    3) An increase in lineup with select tv would be more of an option for me to stay with them, and probably many others too; as currently I'm considering the difference in cost and channels between the pay tv providers.

Thanks

Select really need to find a niche, that F*x haven't covered - And that ain't no easy feat.. May be a tad difficult to rebroadcast most choice movie, music, doco channels and the like because of the rights, etc, but can't see why at the very least they can't put on CNN USA, Headline News and MSNBC, i'd take out a sub just for those three. MSNBC is available on sat fta across Europe - albeit not "officially" at this stage, why not in this region ??

CNN USA and HLN used to be available in Europe (EUCOM) FTA, and the feeds still pop up periodically,but the main signal on Telstar 11 (Since moved to Telstar 12) was encrypted due to some silly yank/s putting their "classified" Nato missions in the Balkans and Middle East FTA on the same bird for all the world to see. Needless to say someone dropped the dime,had his two minutes of fame whilst everyone else got a blank screen.

Probably dreaming here, but others they could cherry pick amongst others to whack on the epg, Sky News UK (huge expat market) , BBC News UK, Al Jazeera English, Russia Today, CCTV 9 English, Press TV, France 24 English..Not to mention of course Channel 9 Adelaide and Perth which Select through the WIN Corportation just happen to own.
    Last edited by bureaudechange; 09-11-09 at 07:26 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bureaudechange View Post
    Select really need to find a niche, that F*x haven't covered - And that ain't no easy feat.. May be a tad difficult to rebroadcast most choice movie, music, doco channels and the like because of the rights, etc, but can't see why at the very least they can't put on CNN USA, Headline News and MSNBC, i'd take out a sub just for those three. MSNBC is available on sat fta across Europe - albeit not "officially" at this stage, why not in this region ??

CNN USA and HLN used to be available in Europe (EUCOM) FTA, and the feeds still pop up periodically,but the main signal on Telstar 11 (Since moved to Telstar 12) was encrypted due to some silly yank/s putting their "classified" Nato missions in the Balkans and Middle East FTA on the same bird for all the world to see. Needless to say someone dropped the dime,had his two minutes of fame whilst everyone else got a blank screen.

Probably dreaming here, but others they could cherry pick amongst others to whack on the epg, Sky News UK (huge expat market) , BBC News UK, Al Jazeera English, Russia Today, CCTV 9 English, Press TV, France 24 English..Not to mention of course Channel 9 Adelaide and Perth which Select through the WIN Corportation just happen to own.
    Your post highlights just how rubbish Selectv is, WIN own Nine Perth and Adelaide and they wont even rebroadcast their services into those cities! Selectv will not get any new channels as they dont want to spend any money, they could easily arrange more niche channels through a fibre link to the US but that costs $$$ and those cheap arses at WIN television wont spend any money!!!!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wilrc1 View Post
    ~they could easily arrange more niche channels through a fibre link to the US but that costs $$$ and those cheap arses at WIN television wont spend any money!!!!!!!
    Trouble is that "Niche" programs, while adding to the channel count, only appeal to a small minority of subscribers.

Thanks

WIN have enough finacial headaches with their Australian Teerrestrial service, I dont think they will spend funds on something that is not a cash cow for them.
    the niche market was original a cheap service @$29 with movies, they have now moved away from that and it is getting costly, many people I kniew used to get Selectv specifically for the ethnic services without the basic package, but now you have to get the basic package before they give you the extra services, so it gets to expensive.

Selectv have also moved away from people using their own receivers and want you to get theirs and commit to a 24month contract. That way they can gaurentee cash flow and work out their budgets. Try getting a card only from them now and they jump up and down.

When they sent me the new reseller/installers contract there were so many clauses I just let it expire. there was no financial benifits for me unless you made the client commit to a 24month deal and you got your instal paid for free by Selectv. I suggested to Selectv "why not at least give your instalers a free sub", they took it on board for discusion but I think nothing came of it.

I may stand corrected on some of these facts, but I think there are a few members here who are instalers or promote Selectv products that can confirm this.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Anyone with the $$$$$'s can start a PayTV service now and you can see just how lucrative it is considered by investors not clamouring to do so.
    Our biggest problem is the small population and how scattered we are.
    In a Peer chatroom I use (60+ yrs) has many Americans and we often talk about TV be it cable, satelitte or FTA and you find out its not all that wonderfull as some claim.
    Cable needs high density living which even in the US cities still doesnt make the companies profitable.
    Many complain of poor service and picture quality and of course, program content.
    Just because you have 290 channels available is valueless if 289 of them are rubbish.

Foxtel claimed this 'New Generation' was costed at $50 Million, Austar most likely a similar amount so combined thats a $100 Million dollar investment that has to come from somewhere.
    Do the maths and divide the number of customers by the amount IF everyone takes on the 'New Generation' and remember that $100 Million is seperate from all other costs,fees,charges that are already in place now.

Thanks

Default SelecTV Blues

Hi Guys,

You may be aware of this but if you are not hear It Is. As far as i understand SelecTV Is for domestic use only. So For example they Will NOT provide service to Hotel's,Motels,Pubs And Retirement Villages.

SelecTV will Fall way behind the Eight ball If these and other issues are not remedied in the near future.

I have also heard that SelecTV are Now working On a Package For Commercial Customer Base.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I would guess its not Select who has made this decision but the licencing arrangements they have with the copyright holders of the programs they broadcast.
    Basicaly if I gave permission for Select to broadcast my Tiddley Winks Tournement, I would charge a fee based on the number of STB's in use in a house on the assumption that it is unlikely more than 2 TV's would be connected to a STB but if it was going to a commercial location where numerous TV's would be connected, I would want a bigger fee.
    Its basically a 'Bum's on Seats' fee.

Thanks

Via a Headend System SelecTV can be reticulated through a Retirement Village and individual customers be charged for the service, But NO Deal