Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SelecTV Card Only Subscriptions offer continues with 1 month Free!!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Smile SelecTV Card Only Subscriptions offer continues with 1 month Free!!

With the expiration of the original offer long ago, I've had many enquiries asking if it's still going! Well I should of done this already but I've been happy to continue this in the name of offering this service to members at the same original price!
    More details are below in the original announcement below.

Cheers,
    Leroy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’m happy to announce that Myself and Fernbay are the new Austech Selectv resellers. As a goodwill gesture, SelecTV have retained the Card Only option for Austech members so we can use our own satellite receivers or purchase an Irdeto2 compliant receiver or PVR of our choice.

The ‘Starter Kit’s recommended retail price is $49.95 but we will be doing them for $39 which includes the smart card and postage but it also has an added bonus. When you call up SelecTV to organise your subscription payment and pay your first month's subscription you also get the added bonus of the second month free!!!

But wait there’s more! Become an Austech Premium Member and take another $10 off.
    That’s $29 for your SelecTV Starter Kit!!

The subscription is only valid for a single decoder and the end user is responsible for the payment of the account by Credit Card or Direct Debit to SelecTV. The user is bound by the usual SelecTV terms and conditions.

Go to SelecTV - Australia's Low Cost Digital Satellite Pay TV Service to check out the packages. There are also Greek, Spanish and Italian packages.

SelecTV will be not be offering technical support for these Card Only subscriptions. Subscribers will be referred back to the forum. The idea being is that this is a hobby for most of us and this card only option is for US. There are plenty of members here with the technical no-how to help people out plus there are already many posts on setting up and re-pointing your dish.
    The members that were concerned about their Austech membership being linked to their SelecTV account need not worry as this is not going to happen now.
    There is no lock in contract but like anything, if it’s not supported then eventually we will loose it!

So there you go. If you have any questions please post in this thread and we will try to answer them. And if we don’t know the answer……we’ll make something up

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

BillyGoat (12-11-09),bodgie (09-12-09),Fernbay (23-11-09),nfnovice (12-11-09),OSIRUS (12-11-09),Twoshots (23-11-09),weirdo (12-11-09)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

It's worth mentioning that the above prices are for account establishment and supply of the card. The ongoing monthly rate is as per the , ie $37.95 for the basic English package or $44.90 with the four Discovery channels.

I'm glad to see the monthly price is still $37.95. I heard a rumour that WIN are about to put the price up, and though I sincerely hope that's not true it wouldn't surprise me. Whatever. If the deal looks good to you then grab it while it's available, there's no lock-in contract. Old timers who got in at the $29 price and kept their subscriptions going are reaping the benefit.

Other FAQs from previous thread:
    1. "Is SelecTV good value?" For many people, yes it is, but as new FreeView channels appear the value is waning somewhat. It all depends on your interests and budget. If you mainly want some 24hr movie channels and a bit more daytime variety than the crap on FTA, compare for yourself the price of SelecTV with that of Austar or Foxel with Movie Network added. On the other hand the more expensive providers have lots of exclusive channels like Fox Sports that SelecTV are prevented from licensing.
    2. "Can I get a second card cheaply?" No. SelecTV have no way of doing this securely and their margins don't allow the cheap "second box" option offered by Foxtel/Austar. If you need two reception points your options basically are an AV sender, or going with Foxtel/Austar.
    3. "Can I cardshare this?" No. Well, yes you can, but a countermeasure in the card means you'll get glitches after a short time if receivers try to access more than one channel at a time. If you've found a loophole then good for you but the bottom line for most people is no.
    4. "I heard that SelecTV are adding more channels soon?" Bollocks, SelecTV have actually channels over time. Basically they're already offering everything that's available to them that's of interest and affordable.
    5. "Any chance of [whatever] channel being added?" No. Chances are the channel you want is either owned by Murdoch or locked by him into an exclusive distributorship agreement.
    6. "High definition?" No, not at that price point. I'll be delighted to eat my words if proven wrong, but extra transponder space for high definition channels would be expensive. Besides, I doubt many in SelecTV's demographic would buy a HD sat receiver for just a couple of HD channels.
    7. "Will it look like crap on my big new LCD/plasma?" Yes, unless your TV or receiver has good quality upscaling. This is where you'll really notice the difference between a reputable upmarket TV and a bargain priced cheapie. The movie channels won't look so bad, no worse than standard definition FTA, but some of the other pay tv channels may seem more chunky and pixellated due to compression. But crappy large-screen picture has been Foxstar's dirty secret for years: chunky pixellation is just as bad on their service only you're paying more for it, unless of course you're paying top dollar for the High Definition channels and box rental. Make sure you're using component video connection, not composite or SVideo. Don't waste money on expensive Monster-type cables though, they won't help; cheap brands for a fraction of the price will be just as good.
    8. "Can you recommend a receiver?" Strong 4658X has been , as have old second-hand Humax 5410 and 5400. Modern receivers are much smaller and more power efficient nowadays. Any third party (non-provider) receiver with Irdeto logo on it should work. There may be EPG issues with some receivers so check before buying.

Those using other receivers with SelecTV might like to share their experiences below, it would be helpful for those considering subscribing.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gw1 For This Useful Post:

Fernbay (23-11-09),gulliver (24-11-09),OSIRUS (12-11-09),Twoshots (23-11-09)

Thanks

Thanks for the summary GW1.
    I agree with most of what you say. With respect to Freeview, I actually feel it complements SelecTV's package because it fills a few gaps. 'Go' with the entertainment/sitcoms like Foxstars TV1 and OneHD with sport (I haven't seen what's on 7HD yet).
    The main channels you would watch like the Movie Network look fine on a flat pannel screen but you can see the difference in picture quality if you look at more compressed channels like Discovery Turbo for example.

I also have found the Strong receivers to work well and have a clear EPG. With the 4658X now obsolete the logical choice now is the 4663X with it's PVR capability but I'm yet to actually play with one.

I haven't heard of any price hike rumours and I certainly hope it's not true. I still have my $29.95 subscription

Cheers,
    Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

Fernbay (23-11-09),Twoshots (23-11-09)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,141 Posts

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd1IDd8OyU8]YouTube - SelecTV Australia's Digital Satellite Pay TV[/ame]
    Reality is an invention of my imagination.
    ಠ_ಠ

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

For those who have a DM500s, the sub works well with scam 3.29a.

Im so happy to be one of the old timers with a $29 a month sub.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

Fernbay (23-11-09),OSIRUS (12-11-09)

Thanks

Even at $37.95 with the Disney and Playhouse channels now it's not bad value.

Leroy

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

Fernbay (23-11-09)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    Even at $37.95 with the Disney and Playhouse channels now it's not bad value.

Leroy
    do you honesty believe this is good value, an extra $1 per week gets you basic foxtel... selectv made a mistake raising their price so much

Thanks

Depends what you want out of a package. I prefer the Movie channels over sitcoms for example. And the kids will be wanting Playhouse shortly so that'll be my place covered

Leroy

Thanks

Depends what you want out of a package. I prefer the Movie channels over sitcoms for example. And the kids will be wanting Playhouse shortly so that'll be my place covered

Leroy
    Leroy,
    I totally respect your choices, I'm just curious what the attraction towards Playhouse Disney () is when ABC Children's TV () essentially covers the same age group(s)? Perhaps I may need to justify myself with the little-ones sooner rather than later.

OC

Thanks

They like NumberJacks, Little Einstiens and a few others so just more variety. We have a number of them on DVD now anyway.

Leroy

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I asked at my local Select agent last week (LeadingEdge franchiser) if the card only option was available or did I have to go the package deal of STB, 2 year contract etc and the only I only thing I am sure about is that there is a CD or DVD (their not sure which) included to show how to set up Select.
    Finances wont allow both (Austar/Select) and it is really overkill to be paying for an almost duplicate service.

Thanks

You don't need both only one or the other. It's a case of working out what suits you.

Thanks

can i reactivate my old account with select and still get for 29.95?

Thanks

I have heard you can.

Leroy

Thanks

I have heard you can.

Leroy
    I asked last Friday and was told there was no way they would reactivate my card, I even argued with the customer service Twit but he blankly refused.

Hence why I am on the offer listed above.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by myf360f1 View Post
    I asked last Friday and was told there was no way they would reactivate my card, I even argued with the customer service Twit but he blankly refused.

Hence why I am on the offer listed above.
    will give them a ring see if they advise me the same

Thanks

You would think if a person calls up with a valid card they would accept it! I'm sure Mr Selectv said they would reactive cards in an old Select TV thread. I'll stand corrected then if that's not the case.

Leroy

Thanks

You would think if a person calls up with a valid card they would accept it! I'm sure Mr Selectv said they would reactive cards in an old Select TV thread. I'll stand corrected then if that's not the case.

Leroy

Leroy it was certainly the case 3 months ago but that has now changed as they are enforcing their new regulations.

Thanks

Thumbs down

same they advised me it is no longer available when reactivating service for 29.95, i would of got it on plus the add on doco if they gave me basic package for the 29.95

looks like i might have to get crap star on again

come on MR SLECTTV
    Last edited by Woodie; 24-11-09 at 04:46 PM.

Thanks

If you guys are planning on putting on Select TV over the Christmas period it might pay to get organised now as I will be away for a few days here and there and with public holidays etc mail will take longer to get delivered.

Cheers,
    Leroy

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast