Thread: Power Supply for AZX2300 Audioline Amp

Thanks

Default Power Supply for AZX2300 Audioline Amp

Hi all,

Just after a bit of advise in regard to a power supply for an amp for my home stereo setup.

Apologies for my poor knowledge/explanation etc...

I'm using a Kenwood amp with a bass pre-out connection to the sub amplifier
    (car amp) which is Audioline AZX2300 (2channelx300W) powered by a power supply (mains to 12v dc 6Amp max). The amp is connected to the sub in crossover with a low pass filter (sub-500W, 20" Pioneer).

I was previously using an old variable power supply, like one of those ones
    found in labs etc... but it died.

Was looking for a replacement one and noticed that jaycar has a 13.8VDC, 8.5A power supply (Cat No. MP3470).

Before I go get one and rig it up, was just wondering if anyone would know if this would be sufficient for the above purpose.

Just wanted to be a bit cautious this time as the last few times I've had a go doing this sort of stuff i've got some nice shocks and fried a few things.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Please let me know if more info would be handy.

Thanks

seacod

Look Here ->
    Thanks

The power supply you were originally using probably died because you were overloading it. If it really is a 300W amplifier (the ratings on some cheaper amps are somewhat generous) it will draw a lot more than 6A. At full output it will be drawing more than 25A (300W at 12V is 25A, but no amplifier is 100% efficient).

I wouldn't bother with the Jaycar power supply you listed. It's probably a switch mode and will just shut down when overloaded. Those old lab power supplies were built like tanks and would take almost any abuse and survive. A $40 power supply from Jaycar will not tolerate being overloaded.

A better option would probably be a PC power supply. Some have 30A 12V outputs and I've used them to run car audio gear before (for testing, never in a permanent installation).

Thanks

I am currently running a supposed "560w" car amp at home off of a redundant server PSU i had lying around.

works a charm. Realisticly this amp is only putting out 100w MAX, but i put a multimeter on it and it was drawing about 8 amps with the gain right down (which is how i run it as even the smallest boost from this is plenty for my small room). When a bass kick hits, it spikes up to over 10amps.

PC power supplies are great 12v power supplies. They have all the overload, overheat, over voltage, under voltage, short circuit protection and so on.

Jalorathis

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

One of the boys are selling a power supply for $30

When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Thanks

Thanks fellas.

Will give it a go tonight. Got a few pc power supplys laying around.

Will let you know how it goes.

seacod