Thread: Tomtom 750 vs Garmin 765 - Is Tomtom IQ worthwhile?

Thanks

Default Tomtom 750 vs Garmin 765 - Is Tomtom IQ worthwhile?

Hi guys,
    I am a brand spanking newbie looking to buy my first gps. I will be moving to Sydney in one month hence the need for a gps.I have been doing some research on the TomTom 750 and the Garmin 765 both of which I would upgrade with the traffic cable. My prefered unit is the Garmin 765 as I just found it easier to use than the TT which I find is not as intuitive, more pages to scroll thru and the maps are not as easy on the eye. I played with these units at a Johnny Appleseed store but really couldn't find any real differences between the two so it just came down to personal preference (the store assistant really couldn't or didn't want to sway me either way and would only offer advice if I asked the right question). The only thing I could think of to decide between the two was TTs IQ option. Now I figure that this could actually be the decider because having relatively accurate time of day route calculation would be essential in Sydney. But does it actually work and make a huge difference in comparison with the Garmins standard route calc? Is there anybody out there that can advise me on the pros and cons on these 2 units. I will buy the best unit and if that turns out to be a TT so be it but I cannot decide. Any and all help and advice will be very much appreciated. thanks in advance.
    Cheers

Look Here ->
    Thanks

have a read of this

in MY OPINION, tomtom is good... coz it has IQ routes and TTS, i dont think garmin has TTS (i could be wrong)....

• The Following User Says Thank You to hollowman For This Useful Post:

lukeandhaley (30-12-09)

Thanks

thanks Hollowman,
    I'm not really sure what TTS is though and have you used the IQ system? Is it really as good as it sounds?
    Cheers

Thanks

tts is text to speech ... rather then the gps telling you to turn right in 100 meters... it will say "turn right in 100 meters into smith street" it reads the street names.... this prevents you from looking at the screen all the time and ramming up someones arse !

I have not used the IQ system, but i heard it was good..... i can't imagine it being a disadvantage ???

Also the latest tomtom devices / maps have whats called ALG, which is advanced lane guidance... when you get to complicated junctions / hwy's it shows a picture of what lane to take or which exit to take..