Thread: Alarm - EDM Solution 6 - inherited

Thanks

Default Alarm - EDM Solution 6 - inherited

I inherited a EDM Solution 6 Alarm System when I moved into my Villa a year ago. The only document I was left with, was a downloaded copy of the manual. I was also only provided with the entry/exit (stay/away) code.

Just before Christmas, I went to put the alarm into the away mode, The console started to flash the "fault' and I was not able to enter any codes and the system has stayed in 'fault' mode until today, when I obtained a new battery. (SLA 12V, 7.2AH)

The fault light is now off, but If I set the alarm in 'away', the code pad, shows the alarm is in the away mode, but if I wander around the house, the alarm does not go off, which I thought it would. Though If I just press one of the 'zones', for 3 seconds, (example, zone 1, living room) the alarm goes off.

I also note that zone 5, is on (steady). The list on the console says zone 5 is 'int temp', which I'm going to assume is the box, where the battery is). I can't seem to close the box, would that be the reason why the alarm is 'not working'?

I also note the 'disarmed' light is flashing constantly on the the night alarm station in the main bedroom, (where as before it was 'steady', when the alarm was disarmed).

Any suggestions, as what to do. Is there something I've missed?

Thanks

Sandra
    Last edited by autumn1234; 02-01-10 at 01:22 PM.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Firstly, you have inherited a clunker. You'll get a few good replies here, but they are for sport only and you should well and truly rip it out and put in something from this decade. You also don't know what other codes exist within the alarm.

My guess: "int temp" may be a bit of bad handwriting and may refer to "internal tamper" (or variations on the theme).

The 'box' has a tamper switch on it, and your inability to close it would suggest the panel believes someone is tampering with the system. Not sure why you can't close the box anyway, but have a look for a little switch and manually depress it, seeing if the problem goes away after a further arm/disarm.

When you refer to pressing one of the "zones", I assume you mean pressing the keys on the keypad. Bear in mind that that system has "hold down" functions, for example you hold down the number one, it will test the external siren, hold down 2 to test the internal siren etc. That is probably the behavior you are seeing.
    Last edited by downunderdan; 02-01-10 at 03:06 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to downunderdan For This Useful Post:

autumn1234 (02-01-10)

Thanks

Thumbs up

Thanks for the reply.

I had another look and found the 'tamper'. I pushed it back and the light on the console went out. (though I still cannot close the box...)

Did another test, and set the alarm in away mode and now realised my mistake I forgot that the alarm is not armed until about 30 seconds after entering the code in the panel. So all is now working.

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

The depth of the box is just enough for the battery so if you have cables behind the battery the cover will not go on.

Thanks

Default If your going to use it...

If your going to use the alarm I would do the following, Talk to all of your neighbours, and set the alarm off for 5-10 minutes make sure that the internal siren goes off, the external siren goes off and the strobe light goes off, This way you can be sure that the alarm is at least going to make noise without causing problems (eg crook internal or bad strobe causing it to die)

Never hurts to do that at least once every 6-12 months, also do a full walk test on your alarm now that your going to be using it.

red

Thanks

Would also suggest reading the manual you have been given.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by autumn1234 View Post
    The fault light is now off, but If I set the alarm in 'away', the code pad, shows the alarm is in the away mode, but if I wander around the house, the alarm does not go off, which I thought it would. Though If I just press one of the 'zones', for 3 seconds, (example, zone 1, living room) the alarm goes off.
    You seem to be headed on the right path, you have proved the sirens are working, however wandering around the house will not trigger them. This could possibly mean the zones were programmed as SILENT zones and/or they have been made type 15 Not Used. As you have inherited the system only god knows whats programmed.

I also note that zone 5, is on (steady). The list on the console says zone 5 is 'int temp', which I'm going to assume is the box, where the battery is). I can't seem to close the box, would that be the reason why the alarm is 'not working'?
    Steady on means the zone is unsealed. What I suggest you do is walk around and count how many devices you have on your walls/windows/doors and cross reference them to the list, by process of elimination you should be able to work out what 5 is.

Zone 5 as panel tamper seems unusual as I usually make zone 6 the panel tamper, the factory default program for 6 is 24HR Silent. This also give me the option to have free zones for additional zones later. But seeing the description doesn't make sense, I don't think the installer did either.

I also note the 'disarmed' light is flashing constantly on the the night alarm station in the main bedroom, (where as before it was 'steady', when the alarm was disarmed).
    When you say disarmed you mean STAY, and if so, when the stay light is flashing this means one of two things; 1. This system is in ISOLATE mode (possibly due to zone 5 being unsealed) or 2. The zones in this mode are being set. When it is steady on, the STAY mode is set.

Hopefully this helps.